TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
skierrob

deleting recorded shows after watching

I've recently moved to Tivo after using Dish Network for several years. I now have a Tivo Premiere (75 hour).

When watching a recorded program, if I was done with a program (or just didn't care to watch it anymore), I could hit "stop" on my remote control and this would stop the recorded program at the point where I wanted it to stop and it would then dump me into the DVR menu with the show highlighted where I could delete the show.

With the Tivo, it appears that in order to do the same thing I need to first hit "pause" to pause the show, and then hit "Tivo" to go to the main menu, and then his "Tivo" again to get into my recorded shows. Then I have to select the show I was watching to be able to delete it. That, or I have to wait for the recording to "run out" before being prompted to delete.

Is there a better way of doing this on the Tivo that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!
skierrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Just hit the Left Arrow (Back) and you get the menu with option to delete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
skierrob

I wonder if it would be worth mapping the "left" button as my 'exit' button on my Harmony remote. I wonder where else the left button is used that I'd trip myself up or my family. Hrmmm.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

The Left Arrow (Back) will most always take you back one menu from where you currently are. Or to the last menu you were on before going to Live TV.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
skierrob

Too bad that, if you hit "left" one more time, it doesn't return you to live tv...

Robert
Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierrob View Post
I've recently moved to Tivo after using Dish Network for several years. I now have a Tivo Premiere (75 hour).

When watching a recorded program, if I was done with a program (or just didn't care to watch it anymore), I could hit "stop" on my remote control and this would stop the recorded program at the point where I wanted it to stop and it would then dump me into the DVR menu with the show highlighted where I could delete the show.

With the Tivo, it appears that in order to do the same thing I need to first hit "pause" to pause the show, and then hit "Tivo" to go to the main menu, and then his "Tivo" again to get into my recorded shows. Then I have to select the show I was watching to be able to delete it. That, or I have to wait for the recording to "run out" before being prompted to delete.

Thanks!
If you are within the last 5 minutes of a show, you can press Left arrow and it will ask to delete or keep the recording. Otherwise, you can press ->| (advance) to jump to end, then press Left arrow.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Too bad that, if you hit "left" one more time, it doesn't return you to live tv...

Robert
Yeah,well going to "TiVo Central" always clears the stack. Probably best that it does so.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Just hit the Left Arrow (Back) and you get the menu with option to delete.
Left Arrow then Clear works well, unless you're using the SDUI on a Premiere where Clear seems to be broken right now.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
ShayL

Quote:
I wonder if it would be worth mapping the "left" button as my 'exit' button on my Harmony remote. I wonder where else the left button is used that I'd trip myself up or my family. Hrmmm.
FWIW, I map my exit button to the zoom button.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
Navigation around the letter grid for a search.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
Jonathan_S

Quote:

The key is not pausing before you exit the recording. Pause tells the TiVo you wanted to save your playback position (which requires keeping the show) so it doesn't ask about deleting it. If you're in the last five minutes and don't pause I believe however you exit the recording ("Left" or "TiVo") will bring up the overlay that asks if you want to Keep or Delete.

Oh, and if you acciently trigger that screen you can use either the skip back or rewind button to cancel out of it. (If you just select "Keep" it'll still exit the show and also reset to the beginning because it assumes you stopped watching because you were through)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
celtic pride

sometimes after the programs over and lets say you have 2 to 5 minutes left(commercials) i''ll just fast foward 3 arrows and at end the delete or save banner comes up.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote