TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Video Encoding parameters suggestions?

I have a number of HD movies from my Tivo that are 13-15GB each for a two hour movie (in 1080i mpeg2 with DD audio) that I want to store in h264 mp4 format with DD audio. Can anyone suggest bitrates and other parameters that would remain high quality? I am looking to shrink the size by about 50%.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
jcthorne

I use meGUI but will give you some of the x264 settings I use in the tivo profile

--level 4.1 --crf 19.0 --ref 4

for aften AC-3 encoding, 6 channels, 448kbps (I use 640 for BR movies but broadcast never goes that high)

muxed to an imsa compliant streamable mp4 file. Usually results in approx 4.5GB per hour and what to my eye is acceptable quality.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I use meGUI but will give you some of the x264 settings I use in the tivo profile

--level 4.1 --crf 19.0 --ref 4

for aften AC-3 encoding, 6 channels, 448kbps (I use 640 for BR movies but broadcast never goes that high)

muxed to an imsa compliant streamable mp4 file. Usually results in approx 4.5GB per hour and what to my eye is acceptable quality.
Thanks! Exactly what I wanted.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
txporter
One sec, almost done

I use avisynth and x264 for my transcodes. For 1080i, I use this for my avisynth script:

Code:
DGSource("video.dgi")
lanczosresize(1280, height)
TFM()
TDecimate()
lanczosresize(width, 720)
RemoveGrain(1)
DGSource - DGDecNV GPU-enabled decoder by Donald Graft
Lancosresize - I downrez to 720p
TFM/TDecimate - all 1080i videos that I edit are TV shows and are actually 23.976fps material that telecined to 29.97fps for broadcast. These filters recombine the telecined fields and then decimate the dups.
Removegrain(1) - very light spatial denoise

I then send that video through x264 with these parameters:
Code:
--crf 21 --tune film --keyint 48
I mux with mp4box.

My output is normally around 1gb for a 42min episode.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I've never been able to get anything more than 384K to transfer and play on my TiVos. I'm not sure why, but then on the other hand, all of the audio sourced from the TiVo that I have ever seen is 384K
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
I use avisynth and x264 for my transcodes. For 1080i, I use this for my avisynth script:

Code:
DGSource("video.dgi")
lanczosresize(1280, height)
TFM()
TDecimate()
lanczosresize(width, 720)
RemoveGrain(1)
DGSource - DGDecNV GPU-enabled decoder by Donald Graft
Lancosresize - I downrez to 720p
TFM/TDecimate - all 1080i videos that I edit are TV shows and are actually 23.976fps material that telecined to 29.97fps for broadcast. These filters recombine the telecined fields and then decimate the dups.
Removegrain(1) - very light spatial denoise

I then send that video through x264 with these parameters:
Code:
--crf 21 --tune film --keyint 48
I mux with mp4box.

My output is normally around 1gb for a 42min episode.
Thanks, I am going to give some of your suggested settings a try on my tivo mpeg downloads.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote