TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
almahix

TiVo rates

Are longtime subscribers still paying the $12.95x1 + $6.95 rates xN for TiVo? I know new subscribers pay more but I want to know if others still have their grandfathered rate plans.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

I still have the $6.95 rate on my two tuner Premiere.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
falken98

I have 2 Premier units @ $9.99 and 1 Premier XL4 @ $9.95.
falken98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
hillyard

Damn I am getting screwed over. I have been a subscriber for 10 years and my rates go up every time I buy new tivo. I buy at full retail at best buy and not tivo for reduce price with a time agreement. Might be time to see how the cable company dvr are doing and if any have 4 tuners
Have an elite and premier
hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillyard View Post
I have been a subscriber for 10 years and my rates go up every time I buy new tivo.
How are you activating the TiVo? if you swap it with a $6.95 TiVo then it will stay $6.95. If you add a TiVo it does not get the grandfathered price, just the current MSD price.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
atmuscarella

Quote:
... I buy at full retail at best buy and not tivo for reduce price with a time agreement ...
Not sure when the last time was you bought a TiVo but this part of your statement makes no sense currently.

As of the time of this post the cost of the 3 current TiVo models was exactly the same at bestbuy.com as they were on TiVo.com. TiVo does not and as far as I can remember never has offered a "time agreement" to purchase a TiVo DVR.

Regardless of where you buy a new TiVo you still have to pay extra for service. The price and options on how to pay for service have changed allot over time. If someone has been allowed to retain an old lower cost service plan depends on a set of circumstances that seem to change over time and are of course not published by TiVo.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Damn I am getting screwed over. I have been a subscriber for 10 years and my rates go up every time I buy new tivo. I buy at full retail at best buy and not tivo for reduce price with a time agreement. Might be time to see how the cable company dvr are doing and if any have 4 tuners
Have an elite and premier
Why pay full retail at BestBuy? I bought both of my Elites from BestBuy but I used coupons for the purchase to drop the price by 10%. It was cheaper than getting them from TiVo.com. Of course the lifetime service on them was still $400 each with the MSD.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
hillyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Not sure when the last time was you bought a TiVo but this part of your statement makes no sense currently.

As of the time of this post the cost of the 3 current TiVo models was exactly the same at bestbuy.com as they were on TiVo.com. TiVo does not and as far as I can remember never has offered a "time agreement" to purchase a TiVo DVR.

Regardless of where you buy a new TiVo you still have to pay extra for service. The price and options on how to pay for service have changed allot over time. If someone has been allowed to retain an old lower cost service plan depends on a set of circumstances that seem to change over time and are of course not published by TiVo.

Bought my last tivo in January (Elite). I get emails from tivo all the time for reduce price units if I agree to yearly sevice IE by premier for 49.00 if I sighn a 2 year 19.99 service plan

Bought my first tivo in october 2002 in 2003 added the duel tuner for the bedroom, upgrade to hd tivo, upgraded to hd large, upgraded to premier, upgraded to elite. my current set up is an Elite in front room and a premier in bedroom. At one time I had 1 tivo at 12.99 and 1 tivo at 6.99. now prices have gone up and sales tax added to the price that didn't use to be there.
Prices went up alot when I got into the premier range and sales tax was added during the HD days
hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #9
dsnotgood

Eh. Just get lifetime and call it a day. Much better resale value and omes out to about the same as 3 years subscription
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
Eh. Just get lifetime and call it a day. Much better resale value and omes out to about the same as 3 years subscription
Yep I had one of those $6.95 deals once and I still would have been better off buying lifetime.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Why pay full retail at BestBuy? I bought both of my Elites from BestBuy but I used coupons for the purchase to drop the price by 10%. It was cheaper than getting them from TiVo.com. Of course the lifetime service on them was still $400 each with the MSD.
You keep saying coupons. How do you get them?
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
celtic pride

best buy sometimes sends coupons in the mail to reward zone members I think they still do but not as often as they use too. usually around a holiday like 4th of july or memorial day ,I think that was the last time i received one.sometimes they offer 10 t0 15% off.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote