TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Matt Linebarger
savvolleyball

TiVo Series4 recording from camcorder

I want to record through a video camera to a TiVo Premiere Series4. Is this possible. I am a coach and want to film athletes than have the ability to rewind and show them while remain to record. Is this possible on this TiVo model and if so how? Any guidance, help, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Matt Linebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Series 3 and 4 units do not have line inputs, you would be better with an S1 or S2
Old 08-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Linebarger View Post
I want to record through a video camera to a TiVo Premiere Series4. Is this possible. I am a coach and want to film athletes than have the ability to rewind and show them while remain to record. Is this possible on this TiVo model and if so how? Any guidance, help, etc. is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
The only inputs on a TiVo Series4(Premiere)* (or Series3, for that matter) are cable and antenna. No A/V. Unless the camera has RF out, there is no way to directly connect it to a TiVo.

* Premiere Elite/XL4 and Premiere 4 are digital cable only, so no antenna in.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
cannonz

Get a replaytv can be found cheap.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

You can put it on a computer, then transfer it over to a TiVo using TiVo Desktop or some comparable program. This will allow you to the ability to rewind and view in HD.

This is not as flexible as a direct video connection with the TiVo itself, but may give you what you need and be workable.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
agredon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Series 3 and 4 units do not have line inputs, you would be better with an S1 or S2
You used to be able to buy an "RF Modulator" relatively cheap. It would take a Composite/RCA (Yellow, Red, and White wires) and sometimes S-Video and output it over Coax (which you can connect to a TiVo) on either Analog Channel 3 or 4. Beware though that the newer 4-Tuner TiVos appear to have NO Analog inputs...so this will only work with the 2-Tuner models.

BTW, you could also use a VCR, some DVD Recorders or similar devices to achieve the same result. Just connect the Yellow, Red, and White wires to the input on the VCR and Coax from the Coax out to the TiVo, then tune the Tivo to Channel 3/4 and the VCR to L1, or whatever input you connected the Camera to.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Yup. a laptop with a video capture cable would be the way to go. As was stated, you would need a Series 2 or older Tivo and it would have to have a subscription and you would have to re-run Guided Setup to allow capturing video on the composite input ports. I did that in order to capture my wife's exercise videos which were on VHS tape. If you had an S1 Tivo you could get away without having a subscription but wouldn't have a way to transfer the video off of the Tivo.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I think the posts above give the details very well, but I just wanted to emphasize: The TiVo is not designed for this application, at all. Not even the Series 1 or 2. You can make it work, but it will always be kludgy. You'll almost certainly be better off doing it some other way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
replaytv
deadbeat doofus

A friend uses a SEries 2 DT to record volleyball training. By using the half hour buffer he sets it up so after the girls hit the spike, they come around to the TV and look at their spike and get coached on it. The coach has the playback so it is about 15 second delay so it is a continuous hit the ball then watch what they looked like. He uses a Tivo without service that stills show 'in good standing' as it hasn't been connected to the 'Mother ship of Tivo' since the service was discontinued. His TiVo has the old software that allows the Tivo to continue to have the time slip even after it no longer has service. I think I remember that he had to tune it to channel 01 and use a $5 modulator from the thrift store for some reason, but don't remember for sure.
He never used the manual recording feature that I know of.
You can get a used Tivo for about $10, but make sure the time shift is still functional, as that has been turned off in many of that latest software downloads. I just tried a similar Series 2 DT Tivo and indeed when connected to Tivo the timeslip was disabled by the newest software.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
shwru980r

You really need one of the humax or toshiba tivos with the dvd recorder, because they allow you to label the program. Other Tivos won't allow you to label the program and will use whatever the guide data says is on that channel.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
HIHZia
Mad Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I think the posts above give the details very well, but I just wanted to emphasize: The TiVo is not designed for this application, at all. Not even the Series 1 or 2. You can make it work, but it will always be kludgy. You'll almost certainly be better off doing it some other way.
Except for the Humax DVD/TiVO. The fact they haven't made them in forever not withstanding.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Linebarger View Post
Is it a digital video camera, or analog?
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
xirian

Your best bet is to get a budget priced HD camcorder. These plug into your computer via usb, you can then either view on the computer or transfer to the tivo if You wish.
xirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

You can get an RF modulator that will convert any analog signal into a cable channel 3 or 4 signal. I don't know if the software still supports this, but in the old days you could record from any channel if you used the Manual Recording option. You could just type the channel into the channel selection box.

Although I think an old S1 or a S2 with TiVo Basic would be better since they do not require service to do Manual recordings. All other units do.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote