TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #31
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Preview is a different box than the Mini. The Mini should replace the Preview since the Mini will be a lower cost box. There is no cable card or tuner on the mini.
Whether the Mini replaces the Preview remains to be seen. It will depend on what the MSOs want. Not all MSOs may want to have the Mini claiming a tuner.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #32
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
To me, the Preview is a ridiculous device that was doomed to fail. It is far too complex and most TiVo owners have no interest in watching "live TV", so why would they want to pay a lot of extra up-front AND monthly costs for a local, non-recording tuner?
The Preview wasn't created for TiVo owners. It was created for cable companies that wanted such a device. Having a tuner in the device eliminates the need to dedicate a tuner from the Q. I suspect some MSOs will stick with the Preview until that limitation is removed from the Mini.

Not entirely square
Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #33
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
But the problem is you die the death of 1000 marketing jargon phrases before you get far enough into that press release to find any actualy information :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #34
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
Whether the Mini replaces the Preview remains to be seen. It will depend on what the MSOs want. Not all MSOs may want to have the Mini claiming a tuner.
But the Mini doesn't HAVE to "claim a tuner".... (at least not in theory) only if you want to watch live TV, which I am guessing most people don't care about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
The Preview wasn't created for TiVo owners. It was created for cable companies that wanted such a device.
True
Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #35
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
But the Mini doesn't HAVE to "claim a tuner".... (at least not in theory) only if you want to watch live TV, which I am guessing most people don't care about.
In a perfect world where products work ideally at release maybe. But all sources I've read indicate that on the first release the Mini will require a tuner from the Q/4 to be dedicated to it whether you're watching live or not.

Not entirely square
Old 08-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #36
moyekj

Quote:
In theory, yes. In practice I think it was mentioned in an earlier thread on the Mini that initial release will *REQUIRE* Elite/XL4/P4 to be available on your network to get past initial guided setup. Given that in initial implementation at least they are requiring Mini to be able to grab a tuner for live TV that's also why it's being restricted to 4 tuner units as hosts. Hopefully that won't be the case by release time but TiVo's track record for releasing something right from the start is in question the last few years.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #37
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

One of Tivo's biggest problems for years was that people didn't know what the heck a Tivo was for. After 12 years of being a Tivo, I can finally say I haven't heard the phrase "what's a Tivo?" in quite a long time.

So naturally Tivo's solution to this is to come out with a bunch of new products that people won't understand. As happy as I am to have these things, I am having trouble keeping it all straight. There is the Preview, the Q, the Mini, Premiere, XL, XL4, the Stream, and an unnamed IP box. I suddenly feel like all of the people who have said "What's a Tivo" to me over the years.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #38
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
So naturally Tivo's solution to this is to come out with a bunch of new products that people won't understand. As happy as I am to have these things, I am having trouble keeping it all straight. There is the Preview, the Q, the Mini, Premiere, XL, XL4, the Stream, and an unnamed IP box. I suddenly feel like all of the people who have said "What's a Tivo" to me over the years.
Only 2 of those products are available at retail so I don't see what is confusing. The others are available from cable MSOs and are sold as a whole home solution.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #39
djwilso

Quote:
There is the Preview, the Q, the Mini, Premiere, XL, XL4, the Stream, and an unnamed IP box.
Isn't the Mini the name for the "unnamed IP box"?
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #40
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
Isn't the Mini the name for the "unnamed IP box"?
I don't know. Maybe. I'm confused.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #41
compnurd

Quote:
I don't know. Maybe. I'm confused.
Yes it is
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #42
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
TiVo's track record for releasing something right from the start is in question the last few years.
+1
Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #43
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
One of Tivo's biggest problems for years was that people didn't know what the heck a Tivo was for. After 12 years of being a Tivo, I can finally say I haven't heard the phrase "what's a Tivo?" in quite a long time.

All of those products have TiVo in front of them. Including the IP STB, the TiVo Mini. So while people might not know the specific model, they will know that it is a TiVo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #44
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
All of those products have TiVo in front of them. Including the IP STB, the TiVo Mini. So while people might not know the specific model, they will know that it is a TiVo.
But most of these products are not Tivo's. They are accessories that are useless on their own.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #45
jcthorne

I really want a couple of the Tivo Minis but they will have to support a Tivo that has OTA tuners first. Without OTA to connect to, the mini is useless. So Tivo needs to either get the mini connected to the Premiere, or relase a new 4 tuner box that has OTA tuners.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #46
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I really want a couple of the Tivo Minis but they will have to support a Tivo that has OTA tuners first. Without OTA to connect to, the mini is useless. So Tivo needs to either get the mini connected to the Premiere, or relase a new 4 tuner box that has OTA tuners.
They already said at launch it would only be able to be used with an XL4/Elite. With plans to use it with the two tuner Premieres later. Once they are able to update the software. Unless things have changed and they have that feature working at launch.(unlikely but you never know)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #47
alex_h

OTA request that would be awesome

If it had an integrated OTA tuner and enough RAM/Flash RAM to rewind/pause a few minutes, that's be a great thing to differentiate it from Roku/AppleTV. I have a TV by the bar that is only really used for Sports watching, currently live. If you give me a cheap device to stream from my other Tivos, I'd add it. If you let me watch my OTA without switching inputs/UIs, I'd do that as well. But if adding a tuner means adding CableCard and whatever other nonsense, forget it, just let me stream from my Tivos, Hulu, Netflix, etc., and make the price reasonable, and I'll buy one.

Live TV is for sports in my house, and I guess news before we ditched DTV/cable. Streaming pre-recorded stuff there and streaming stuff is great. It'd be nice to use the OTA without switching interfaces, but not really a big deal.
alex_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #48
aaronwt
HD Addict

It doesn't matter what it is for me. Sports or news. I'm still going to time shift it. Otherwise you waste so much time because of the commercials if you watch live.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
Old 08-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #49
jrtroo
User

+1.

I cannot stand to watch NFL live. Better to go for a run/bike ride (or anything without radio/tv/internet) and then watch all 6 minutes of action in around 30-40 minutes. I could watch 3 games or more in the same span as one live, without missing a play while getting a beer or snack.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #50
alex_h

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
+1.

I cannot stand to watch NFL live. Better to go for a run/bike ride (or anything without radio/tv/internet) and then watch all 6 minutes of action in around 30-40 minutes. I could watch 3 games or more in the same span as one live, without missing a play while getting a beer or snack.
Depends, when I used to watch the NFL with Sunday Ticket, I loved the Monday night recaps where you could watch a game in 30 minutes. We DVR'd 15 hours of Olympic coverage a day and watched in 2-4 hours/night, depending on events we wanted. I get how fast it is to watch that way.

That said, I have a huge Super Bowl Party every year. When there is a big game on, I'll have friends over to watch. If I want to catch the game because I was out with my kids during it, sure, I can "watch" the game in 30 minutes. But that's a completely different experience than watching a game unfold in real time.
alex_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #51
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Only 2 of those products are available at retail so I don't see what is confusing.

Here's some confusion:

Tivos can stream to other Tivos that are networked.
Tivo Stream will stream to mobile devices and tablets but not to other Tivos.
Tivo Mini will stream from other Tivos to the Mini but not to or from the Stream (I think).
Tivo Mini will be able to stream *only* with an XL4.

That alone is a huge mess of confusion. Tivo is supposed to keep it simple and make tv easy again. They need to keep trying!
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #52
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Here's some confusion:

Tivo Mini will stream from other Tivos to the Mini but not to or from the Stream (I think).

That alone is a huge mess of confusion. Tivo is supposed to keep it simple and make tv easy again. They need to keep trying!
Item 4 there is not entirely true... It was confirmed that the Mini will be able to stream from a regular premiere, just not at release
Old 08-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #53
sbiller

Quote:
Here's some confusion:

I think you are making this way to complicated.

The TiVo Mini is a TiVo extender for additional TVs in the home.

The TiVo Stream allows a local iOS device to receive live or recorded video from any TiVo on the home network.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #54
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Here's some confusion:

Change item 2 to be "only APPLE mobile devices, except not laptops/notebooks", at least for now.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #55
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Item 4 there is not entirely true... It was confirmed that the Mini will be able to stream from a regular premiere, just not at release
I think that's not entirely accurate either. It WILL be able to stream shows from all series 4 TiVos in your house, but for 1st go around you need a 4 tuner unit as an available host on your network to get past guided setup.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #56
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I think that's not entirely accurate either. It WILL be able to stream shows from all series 4 TiVos in your house, but for 1st go around you need a 4 tuner unit as an available host on your network to get past guided setup.
All I can say/warn is:

Buy it for what it claims to do now, not for claims of what it MIGHT do later

Which is good advice when it comes to TiVo stuff. They have a hard enough time making products fill the "now" claims.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #57
compnurd

Quote:
Correct but it WAS confirmed it will be able to lock a tuner for a regular premiere after updated software
Old 08-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #58
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_h View Post
That said, I have a huge Super Bowl Party every year. When there is a big game on, I'll have friends over to watch. If I want to catch the game because I was out with my kids during it, sure, I can "watch" the game in 30 minutes. But that's a completely different experience than watching a game unfold in real time.
Also the Super Bowl is one of the few times when I make it a point to actually watch commercials.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #59
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Buy it for what it claims to do now, not for claims of what it MIGHT do later
This is good advice for anything.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #60
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
This is unnecessary. The TiVo Stream is simply an accessory that recodes video from the native MPEG-2 format to the H.264. The only reason it even exists is because mobile devices don't come with chips capable of decoding MPEG-2 natively so they have to recode to H.264 for it to be possible to watch video on an iPad/iPhone/etc...

The TiVo Mini doesn't need to stream from the TiVo Stream because it will be capable of decoding the MPEG-2 stream directly, thus no need for the middle man. Same applies to PCs. PCs have enough horsepower that they could stream directly from a TiVo without the TiVo Stream recoding. (although this would require an upgrade to TiVo Desktop as it currently only allows transfers not streaming)

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote