TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #91
alex_h

OTA is probably a growing potential market

I have used OTA for HD for 10 years, with DirecTV for everything else, mostly because the first OTA HD tuner I bought on clearance supported DirecTV and decided to give it a try, and back in Boston, cable was horrible. I just cut DirecTV a week ago.

For us, DTV's fights with Viacom/Fox were a pain... she lost her shows, and while we have OTA HD, apparently the "season passes" I setup via the mobile scheduler were grabbing the DTV signal, so while the show came in, I just got "this channel is off the air." Off season, we used to watch lots of the crap on the "cable channels," but with a few kids, we just don't watch that much TV.

Does Premier's OTA tuner suck? I have no idea, my antenna is a dual bowtie I bought at radio shack 7 years ago, I get all the major AND minor networks, plus some strange ones like Ion that seems to just show a few shows in 8 hour blocks, kind of neat, we missed two seasons of Leverage (forgot to set back up the season pass after a hardware swap), and catching up there. I get all the networks I want, plus some stuff I didn't know exist. We're in South Florida, so most of the other OTA channels are Spanish language, no interest to us, but lots of programming.

My two AM-21s are for sale on Amazon.com.

I had lots of movie channels, then I got Netflix, and always had 3 DVD/BRs at home, and didn't need movie channels to try to DVR, I can only watch one at a time... I cut back to basic. Now with Hulu + OTA, what do I need DTV "content" for?

The DVR hardware was crap, when it broke, I lost all my programming, I had to schedule a technician to come out... totally aggravating.

I bought two premiers on Tivo.com Clearance for $100/each, I pay $28/mo to Tivo, $8/mo to Hulu when my 6 months is up, and $8/mo to Netflix (which I had anyway, we streams kids programming occasionally).

Why not Lifetime? I remember when Tivo was hot (and my ReplayTVs before that), new hardware came out, and you felt married to it for Lifetime. You can sell/upgrade, do an upgrade program, whatever. I had a 12 month commitment, plenty of content, and I can decide what to do then.

My biggest issue is the Tivo interface. I want Hulu/Netflix (at least Hulu) integration into My Shows. The Hulu/Netflix app take forever to load. My issue with the Apple TV was that I loved the interface, they didn't do Hulu (they opened it up the day after my Tivo's arrived), and I had to pick by content provider, not by content. Tivo's SEARCH is perfect, Tivo's My Shows (formerly Now Playing) is not. I LOVE that Tivo Suggestions caught a show, two clicks later I'm streaming older stuff on Hulu.

Just fix the My Shows so I don't have to launch Hulu/Netflix to see my Queues and it's PERFECT.

I wish Tivo was more "open." I can get ESPN3/WatchESPN for sports on my Comcast Internet feed. I just can't get it on my Tivo. I might buy a few Rokus or whatever to watch sports (note, @ $89 for the Ethernet top of the line one it's less than 1 month with Comcast/Dish/DTV) and other stuff. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty happy with my media choices and hardware choices.

I didn't want to go back to DirecTivo and the crippled Tivo. I don't need junk.

If I could get a USB BluRay player for my Tivo, I'd pay a pretty penny for it, just to ditch my awful BR's slow ass interface. But I can deal.

My wife told me my complaints were asinine. She is happy, she can stream from Netflix without switching inputs, remotes, etc. A few weeks ago, she had to turn on the DVD player, switch TV over, wait for it's slow interface to load, find the Netflix app, blah blah blah. Now she hits Netflix, waits 60 seconds for the queue to load, and she's all set.

I am disappointed that Tivo isn't "kicking ass and taking names" compared to the rest a few years ago, and Hulu seems to have some issues with stability, but the content is there, the price is great, and the lack of aggravation is better.
alex_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #92
alex_h

I'd like the multi-room viewing to be more fluid, not sure why I have to click on an icon and switch back to an SD interface to grab a show from the other room, seems kind of silly with my Gigabit network, but these are minor issues.
alex_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #93
freerule

Forgetting its s/w limitations, isn't TiVo's S3 significantly better in build quality than any other digital TiVo ever offered for sale?
freerule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #94
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerule View Post
Forgetting its s/w limitations, isn't TiVo's S3 significantly better in build quality than any other digital TiVo ever offered for sale?
It was also supposed to be unsubsidized when it came out. It retailed for $800. It weighed a lot compared to my Elite boxes. But I'll take a Premiere any day over an S3. Although two of my s3 boxes from 2006 are still going strong.(I sold the other one) My girlfriend has two of the three S3 boxes I got in 2006.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #95
Puppy76

I've got an HD XL and certainly wouldn't complain about build quality in the slightest. I mean it seems well built, mine's...3+ years old now I think, and going strong except for possibly a hard drive thingee a few months back.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #96
Dan203
Super Moderator

The original S3s where meant to be high end HT equipment. They had an OLED screen, which was rare at the time, a piano black case, a much nicer remote, THX certification, etc... They also cost over a grand with lifetime. Their only issue was that they required two CableCARDs. The M-Card specification was still being developed when they were released so only S-cards were available in the wild. TiVo tried to develop the unit so it could be upgraded via software to support a single M-card when they became available, but a last minute change to the M-card specification prevented that from ever happening. I think if that had worked the resell value of a S3 would be higher today. But because they require two cards, which carry a monthly fee, they're less attractive to buyers.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #97
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I think if that had worked the resell value of a S3 would be higher today. But because they require two cards, which carry a monthly fee, they're less attractive to buyers.

Dan
There also is the issue of not being able to self upgrade to a 2TB hard drive like you can with the Tivo HD & Premiere. Of course being able to buy a preconfigured 2TB hard drive now off ebay medicates that issue to some extent.

In any event in my opinion the original Series 3 is the best Tivo for OTA which might be their highest and best use at this point.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #98
mattack

Quote:
but a last minute change to the M-card specification prevented that from ever happening.
This seems to be more detail than has been said in other threads.

Do you know exactly the reason? Is it literally hardware as in the cablecard plug or wiring? That obviously isn't fixable. Is it firmware *in the cable cards*?

If it's any software on the Tivo, it would seem to be do-able, but from the other threads I got the impression it was pretty much impossible. (Sure, with enough software, even some hardware limitations can be worked around..)

Obviously it's never gonna happen, I'm just curious about more lower level technical reasons why it was either impossible or "really really difficult".
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #99
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
That's subjective.
OTA is more like cable now that it is digital.
Lots of channels, but only a few are worth watching.
I'd say it's at about the same ratio as cable.

Very true, out in here in L.A. once you factor out the weird low power stations, foreign language channels and shopping channels you are down quite a few channels. I'd would say the ratio is worse than cable.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #100
freerule

Quote:
The original S3s where meant to be high end HT equipment. They had an OLED screen, which was rare at the time, a piano black case, a much nicer remote, THX certification, etc... They also cost over a grand with lifetime. Their only issue was that they required two CableCARDs. The M-Card specification was still being developed when they were released so only S-cards were available in the wild. TiVo tried to develop the unit so it could be upgraded via software to support a single M-card when they became available, but a last minute change to the M-card specification prevented that from ever happening. I think if that had worked the resell value of a S3 would be higher today. But because they require two cards, which carry a monthly fee, they're less attractive to buyers.

Dan
Thanks for the concise overview. S3's requirement for an additional M-Card cost me $2.20 for two S3s. Their excellent digital tuners pull in all seven major Vancouver, BC OTA channels (50 miles away) with an indoor antenna.

As this is only my 3rd Forum post readers will have to Google the comparison chart link below to compare S3 with current Premiere DVRs:

www3.tivo.com/products/tivo-premiere/premiere-compare.html#tab

(then scroll down and click:)

Compare TiVo Premiere to older TiVo DVRs
freerule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #101
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_h View Post
If I could get a USB BluRay player for my Tivo, I'd pay a pretty penny for it, just to ditch my awful BR's slow ass interface. But I can deal.

My wife told me my complaints were asinine. She is happy, she can stream from Netflix without switching inputs, remotes, etc. A few weeks ago, she had to turn on the DVD player, switch TV over, wait for it's slow interface to load, find the Netflix app, blah blah blah. Now she hits Netflix, waits 60 seconds for the queue to load, and she's all set.
This is exactly why there is not BR drive in the living room. I do rent BR from time to time but its ripped and pushed to the tivo for playback there.

All content under one consistant interface everywhere in the home. Much higher WAF.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #102
ncbill

Even before I dropped cable, Tivo saved me money.

Buying a used, single-tuner S2 w/ lifetime let me drop my cable package down to "broadcast basic" for $8/month (versus $50/month for 'extended' analog)

I bought whatever cable shows I wanted via Amazon.

Then I was lucky enough to win a TivoHD w/ lifetime, so when I bought my first HDTV nearly 5 years ago it was a simply matter to buy an antenna and drop cable.

Now I get the broadcast networks in HD for free plus I can still buy the cable shows I want from Amazon (HD, commercial-free)

Netflix for the kids, of course (though we all love Shaun the Sheep!)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #103
desiboy

OTA user

Been on OTA since 8 yrs with just broadcast cable for internet. When I travel, I catch up with cable channels in hotels. I't is a pain to watch - high pitch screetching, ticker overload, and for the most part, trivial content. Broadcast channels have wide viewing and are more mature. Your quality of life may improve if you cut these off.
desiboy is offline   Reply With Quote