TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
mattack

Did Grimm "Leave It to Beavers" air in 54 minute timeslot?

I seem to vaguely remember checking this at the time, and it was right.. but I want to clarify.

I downloaded most of the Grimm episodes to a computer disk and now have been watching them. "Leave it to Beavers" is 54 minutes long, and SEEMS complete. (Maybe the very very very very beginning, literally a couple of seconds, was cut off, but it seems like a normal beginning, and the Grimm title sequence is about the same time in as normal.) I also have the end credits.

So did this air in a shorter time period (the previous timeslotted show running slightly long one night only)?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #2
crawlernight11

Are you sure that you watched that particular episode in one go. Maybe it was divided in two parts where the second part was shown in the next day. I remember the same thing happening when I was watching the sitcom ‘Friends’ on my DVD. One particular episode where Ross and Rachel patch up after the break was 57 min and I remember watching it on the channel as two part series. I never felt it was one single episode. Only after I watched the DVD version, I realized it.
crawlernight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

When you say you downloaded the episode to your computer, from where did you download them? Your TiVo? Your cable box DVR? Directly from your cable box while it was airing?

If you got it from your TiVo, it may have been possible that the signal went out for three or four minutes (or, possibly, there was an Emergency Alert System test). Did you notice any gaping jumps in the story? I didn't see any mention online that it was a short episode, and that includes the original NBC press release.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlernight11 View Post
Are you sure that you watched that particular episode in one go. Maybe it was divided in two parts where the second part was shown in the next day.
Yes, it was one episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
When you say you downloaded the episode to your computer, from where did you download them? Your TiVo? Your cable box DVR? Directly from your cable box while it was airing?

If you got it from your TiVo, it may have been possible that the signal went out for three or four minutes (or, possibly, there was an Emergency Alert System test). Did you notice any gaping jumps in the story? I didn't see any mention online that it was a short episode, and that includes the original NBC press release.
I downloaded it from my TiVo, I guess that wasn't absolutely clear.. (downloaded to make space.. I have a weird semi-flaky Tivo drive, so I went back to the orig drive, this was back when drive prices were ridiculously high.. I now have made a copy of my old semi-flaky drive and hope to let the Tivo go at it sometime soon to see if it'll repair anything)

No, as I said, it seemed complete (except literally a few seconds at most at the beginning -- the rating bug wasn't there, but there was some other bug there, and the "GRIMM" opening segment came in several minutes in after the first segment, about the same time as usual).

So I guess nobody remembers for sure.. that's why I was asking.. but I have seen some shows recently air an "hour" long episode in a VERY short timeslot, but not seemingly edited.. (or at least edited pre-air.. in other words, as much of it aired as intended.).. And I think this has happened for Grimm, but I'm not positive.

Though I definitely like seeing the whole episode, even if I found out I missed a bunch, I probably wouldn't go out and rent the DVD (reruns obviously are hacked up even more).. I was just curious... esp if someone else had downloaded it off their Tivo, they might be able to confirm it aired in a short timeslot.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

I still have the original airing of this episode on my Tivo (what can I say, I'm really behind!) It's listed as being 59 minutes. This was on KCRA out of Sacramento.
tlrowley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
mattack

OK, thanks.. weird. I'm almost positive in the last season there was at least one episode of *some* major network show that aired in a very shortened timeslot.. Thought it was this one.

Wonder what I missed.. but likely not enough to rewatch it.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Did you time the length of the actual show (without commercials)? If it was the correct length, then maybe your affiliate simply did something weird and you got the full episode with a smaller commercial load.

The version available for download on Amazon says it's 44 minutes.

According to the historical schedules I can find, it seems that Who Do You Think You Are was scheduled from 8-9 that night, Grimm from 9-10, and Dateline from 10-11.

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 08-25-2012 at 02:00 PM.
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
OK, thanks.. weird. I'm almost positive in the last season there was at least one episode of *some* major network show that aired in a very shortened timeslot.. Thought it was this one.
I would be surprised if it was just one episode that was shortened by at least five minutes. I thought it might have been Raising Hope or New Girl (because of a long Glee episode), but, according to TheFutonCritic, neither show ran more than two minutes short.

It used to be that, in election years, some episodes would end five minutes early (I remember a Cagney & Lacey episode doing this) because one of the political parties bought the last five minutes of the time slot for a national campaign ad.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote