TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

So You Think You Can Dance "Top 10" 8/22/2012 *spoilers*

Haven't watched the show yet -- just wanted to get the thread started.

Top 10 and the All-Stars this week.

Have fun discussing until I get back.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

I'm just not enjoying this season as much as seasons past. Not sure what the problem is.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
I'm just not enjoying this season as much as seasons past. Not sure what the problem is.
Same here.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Cainebj

I think it's cos the contestants are not that great.

I did enjoy Allison's performance probably the most of everything I've seen this year - which is shocking considering I think Tyce is a hack.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

OOPS - Cat mentioned one of the All-Stars' last names. Can't have that!

(Okay, she gets a pass this time, as it was Alex Wong. However, even in the graphics, the All-Stars are listed only by first name and season number.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
jehma

When it came time to vote, I texted in a vote for Alex Wong. I figured it was worth a shot
Old 08-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I got interrupted in the middle of the broadcast, and I haven't finished watching.

I think part of the problem with the show in general is that when the show was fresh, the choreographers were all new to me, so all the work seemed fresh. But now that I've watched a lot of them, I've seen them. So it's the same-old-same-old. YMMV.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #8
Doggie Bear

My wife and I have largely lost interest too. It's never approached the excitement we had the first season we watched (season 2), which ended with the thrilling Benjy vs. Travis duel.

The funny thing is that the judging on this show is so much better than that on "American Idol" or "The X-Factor" or "The Voice." We watched a bit of last night's episode, mostly because of Alex Wong's return, and during the critique of Cole's routine, I found myself thinking, wow, all of the comments are clear enough that I could understand what they meant, and they sounded like they would be useful to the contestant.
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #9
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
My wife and I have largely lost interest too. It's never approached the excitement we had the first season we watched (season 2), which ended with the thrilling Benjy vs. Travis duel.
Season two was great, no doubt, but there were also lots of great moments in seasons 1, 3, 4, and 5.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

So how come with Cyrus it is not about pointing your feet and with Dareian it was about nothing but that?
Why are they butt kissing Cyrus so much?
I get that he's a charismatic guy but sheesh, enough already.

I love Eliana and I love Chehon.
And I was over the moon to see Jakob and Alex back.
Jakob absolutely thrills me.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Actually, several of the all-stars were mentioned by last name!

It's hard to get enthusiastic when my two favorite girls both got sent packing in the same week (Amelia and Janelle)!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
mwhip
All better

All-stars and Mia Michaels tributes are bad ideas because it reminds me how much better contestants were in past seasons.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #13
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
So how come with Cyrus it is not about pointing your feet and with Dareian it was about nothing but that?
Why are they butt kissing Cyrus so much?
I get that he's a charismatic guy but sheesh, enough already.
I am so sick of Cyrus. I get that they want an untrained dancer, but couldn't they have found a better one? Think about some of the street dancers we've had in the past? I'm sure he's a great guy. He seems nice and sincere and an all-around great guy, but I'm tired of the choreographers going so easy on him and him getting passes over and over again.

Quote:
I love Eliana and I love Chehon.
And I was over the moon to see Jakob and Alex back.
Jakob absolutely thrills me.
Same, except that I don't remember Jakob. He must have been from the season we skipped (the one with Kathryn).

Eliana is my #1 now.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
I am so sick of Cyrus. I get that they want an untrained dancer, but couldn't they have found a better one? Think about some of the street dancers we've had in the past? I'm sure he's a great guy. He seems nice and sincere and an all-around great guy, but I'm tired of the choreographers going so easy on him and him getting passes over and over again.
Let's just make this into a template because somebody is bound to say this about some untrained dancer in every season.

In an earlier season, you would have heard me bitching about Ivan exactly the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
Same, except that I don't remember Jakob. He must have been from the season we skipped (the one with Kathryn).
Oh, and speaking of dancers that the judges gush over? Kathryn. I just don't see it.

You know who I would have brought back to do that Bollywood number with Will? Kayla! She would have been a better match in height (sucky for lifts, but better matching for the side-by-side moves), and the Bollywood group number was, hands down, my favorite dance of hers in the entire season (even more than Mia's two-girl routine in the finale, which I also loved).

Put Kayla and Kathryn on the stage together in a Bollywood number, and I guarantee you, no one will know that Kathryn is even on the stage.

Yeah, Season 5 rocked.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-24-2012 at 11:01 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Let's just make this into a template because somebody is bound to say this about some untrained dancer in every season.

In an earlier season, you would have heard me bitching about Ivan exactly the same way.
Yes, true, but now we've seen some fantastic untrained dancers over the years, and by comparison Cyrus is really falling short.

Do you agree the choreographers are making it easy for him? I don't remember thinking that in earlier seasons, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #16
timckelley
TCFer

I just watched this. Nigel came right out and said Eliana was his favorite girl, but I have to say my favorite performance of the evening was the opening disco number between Tiffany and all star Brandon. Brandon might be my favorite male disco dancer in the history of the show, so it would take a lot to keep up with him, and in my mind Tiffany totally did. This actually may actually be the first performance of the season that I can't bring myself to delete from my TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #17
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

That's a ymmv to be sure Brandon is one of my least favorite contestants ever, disco is absolutely my least favorite genre, and Doriana Sanchez is definitely my least favorite choreographer.
All that spinning and lifting and flinging is going to kill someone someday- to me that is not dancing.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #18
Cainebj

Brandon is one of my all time FAVORITE contestants

but I will agree with you that Doriana's disco numbers suck. They are self indulgent and you are right - someone is going to get hurt one of these days. In fact I thought I saw Brandon begin to loose his balance on one of those lifts the other night and I thought they might be goin down.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
timckelley
TCFer

Not all Dorians's numbers are great, but I loved that one, as apparently the judges did too. But as I said, they didn't actually rate it best number of the night, like I personally would have.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
ThePennyDropped
Now I get it.

I'd be glad to never see another piece choreographed by Doriana. This week's piece was chaos, not choreography.
ThePennyDropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
jehma

Quote:
That's a ymmv to be sure Brandon is one of my least favorite contestants ever, disco is absolutely my least favorite genre, and Doriana Sanchez is definitely my least favorite choreographer.
All that spinning and lifting and flinging is going to kill someone someday- to me that is not dancing.
Yeah, I'm more on your side.

Brandon annoys me terribly.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Brandon and Janette did the disco number in their season, which I liked, so now putting Brandon with another girl to do another disco number from the same choreographer is just setting the number up for failure. In the first case, the two dancers had a partnership that had developed; in the second, the pairing is brand new.

The choreographer is under pressure to make the number bigger and better than the last one, which in the case of disco means more lifts and showier lifts, with a pair of dancers who have just gotten to know each other.

The dancers may be really good, and be able to make safe transitions, but since they just got to know each other, they won't have the time to get to the point where things look effortless, which is the state you need to make people say WOW.

How many of the numbers since the introduction of the All-Stars have been truly satisfying and memorable in their own right, and not just "boy it was good to see [All-Star] dancing again?" numbers?

The one that sticks out to me was the hip-hop number with tWitch and Alex Wong. Apart from that, I can't think of any.

It's just a recipe for an unsatisfactory number.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #23
timckelley
TCFer

I've got a handful of SYTYCD numbers saved in my youtube favorites (about 6 of them), and one of them is the disco number between Brandon and Janelle... Another one is the cha cha, again between Brandon and Janelle. So yes, I do think favorably about Brandon, though I thought Janelle was just as good as he was, should not have been eliminated when she was.

Several seasons ago, there were a couple of numbers Lacy did that's also in my collection... also the hip hop between Alex Wong and Twitch (this maybe wins as my absolute favorite of the whole collection), plus I actually have the disco number between Mollee and Nathan from several seasons ago saved.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Yeah, yeah, So You Think is a popularity contest, and it's not about the best dancers.

But there are a number of people who went home too soon, and I'd love to be able to send it a vote for who should come back. Janette is #1 on my list. At one point in her season, she was my pick to win the entire thing.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
Cainebj

the problem with this season...

which one was Janette?
Old 08-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #26
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Actually, several of the all-stars were mentioned by last name!
I just watched it again, and, if you don't count tWitch, the only other all-star whose last name I heard was Nick Lazzarini.

Here's the list of all-stars:
Brandon Bryant (Season 5)
Nick Lazzarini (1)
Anya Garnis (3)
Jakob Karr (6)
Kathryn McCormick (6)
Jaimie Goodwin (3)
Lauren Gottlieb (3)
Allison Holker (2)
Alex Wong (7)
tWitch (4)

You would think that if anybody's last name would have been mentioned, it would have been Lauren's, so people wouldn't confuse her with Season 7 winner Lauren Froderman.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote