TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #61
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
BD? Are you referring to Blueray Disk? If so, do you rent or buy them?
I rent and also purchase Blu-ray Disc titles. But mainly rent now. Six years ago I mainly purchased them but it's much cheaper to just rent them.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #62
trip1eX

A snappy interface, 6 tuners, and at least 2 tb storage and $100 extenders.

I haven't cared about Moca because there are few Moca products at retail and they are expensive.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #63
agredon

I would expect the basic model to have 4 Tuners, with a 6 Tuner premium model available at a higher price. 2 Tuners just isn't enough anymore, especially if I have to pad shows, and particularly during primetime.

As for storage, the basic model should be at least 2 TB, with the premium model at 4-6 TB. Why so much storage?

1. You can record everything in HD. No more recording shows in SD to conserve space.

2. You can go out of town for a week or two, unlike with my [45 Hour] Premiere which I can't leave for more than 24 - 48 hours before it gets full and starts deleting stuff.

3. Each step up in capacity adds very little cost, while adding significant capacity. If you start with a 500 GB HDD, going to 1 TB will double the capacity for only $20 more, 2 TB will quadruple the capacity for only $50 more, and 3TB will give you 6 times the capacity for only $70 more. In fact, using anything smaller than 2-3 TB is simply wasting money [on a per GB basis]:

500 GB: $0.16/GB
1 TB: $0.10/GB
2 TB: $0.06/GB
3 TB: $0.05/GB
DVD-R or BD-R: $0.04/GB

I expect that the Series 5 will drop analog all together, but I'm hoping they won't do away with the ATSC (OTA) tuners also, like they did with the Premiere XL4.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #64
agredon

BTW, my estimated recording capacities for different channels:

My Network TV HD = 143 Hours per TB
CBS HD = 167 Hours per TB
NBC HD = 167 Hours per TB
TNT HD = 180 Hours per TB
FOX HD = 200 Hours per TB
ION HD = 225 Hours per TB
ABC Family HD = 235 Hours per TB
CW HD = 250 Hours per TB
ABC HD = 265 Hours per TB (Primetime. For some reason Daytime shows such as Live! seem to be broadcast at a higher bitrate)
Most SD Channels = 1,000 Hours per TB
Disney Junior = 1,500 Hours per TB
Logo, Teen Nick, Antenna TV... = 2,000 Hours per TB
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #65
alex_h

I'd like, but don't expect, the ability to add a BluRay Accessory like the hard drive, to add the ability to play BluRay, preferably with the easy to use Tivo interface. I wouldn't do it to save money, my BluRay player plays Network media and Netflix discs for stuff not available to stream... Integrating it with Tivo would be neat... would also bring me extremely close to not needing fancy receivers/switches, because everything would be in my Tivo.

Maybe that would be a niche accessory, maybe not. Optical discs may be on the way out, but they aren't gone yet...

I am guessing that the Stream/Transcoding device will NOT be a part of Series 5, I'd be shocked if they were to create a piece of hardware that will be obsolete so quickly (I'd expect in 6), but who knows, maybe it will live on since old Tivos live on long beyond their expected life.
alex_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #66
innocentfreak

I know both Dave Zatz and I have mentioned we wish they would release a Blu-Ray player. It seems like a Blu-Ray player with the Mini built in would be a nice device.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #67
sdnative1

I think the next Tivo (Series 5) should have built in wi-fi. You shouldn't have to pay $60 for a separate device.
sdnative1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #68
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnative1 View Post
I think the next Tivo (Series 5) should have built in wi-fi. You shouldn't have to pay $60 for a separate device.
I don't think you will see built in WiFi. TiVo really wants you to be using a wired solution. The Stream is wired only and I believe they want you to use a wired solution to stream from a Premiere to another Premiere or to the up coming mini.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #69
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdnative1 View Post
The Premiere 4's already support MoCA which many report is easy to setup and few issues. They also function as a MoCA to wired Ethernet bridge so if one Tivo can be plugged into Ethernet, it's all wired.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:22 AM   #70
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Allow me to take out my crystal ball.......

BREAKING NEWS: THIS HARDWARE WILL BE DELAYED UNTIL FOURTH QUARTER 2014!
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #71
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
BREAKING NEWS: THIS HARDWARE WILL BE DELAYED UNTIL FOURTH QUARTER 2014!
A two year delay is pessimistic even for TiVo.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote