TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
dave13077

The Tivo Mini lives....

Tivo Mini name confirmed.

http://pr.tivo.com/press-releases/ti...q-tivo-0921558
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
Cool. Now we just need a price and a release date!
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Cool. Now we just need a price and a release date!
and a cool contest so I am allowed to buy one...
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
and a cool contest so I am allowed to buy one...
LOL yup!
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Tony Chick

Hopefully it will be a similar price to Roku or Apple TV and not have a monthly subscription cost
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
moyekj

Monthly subscription = deal breaker for me
Still need to know exactly how the tuner stealing for live TV is going to work. We heard before it was at least initially only going to work with Elite/XL4 units as hosts, at least for live TV functionality. Hopefully there will be option for no live TV so can be used for streaming and Netflix, etc. without live TV option stealing a tuner, and thus can work in conjunction with any series 4 hardware.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
sbiller

ZatzNotFunny: Upcoming TiVo IP-STB Christened “Mini”

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-08/...ristened-mini/
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Monthly subscription = deal breaker for me
Still need to know exactly how the tuner stealing for live TV is going to work. We heard before it was at least initially only going to work with Elite/XL4 units as hosts, at least for live TV functionality. Hopefully there will be option for no live TV so can be used for streaming and Netflix, etc. without live TV option stealing a tuner, and thus can work in conjunction with any series 4 hardware.
For me, I think greater than a $5 monthly subscription might be a deal breaker for me.(Although I say that, realistically I will probably get one no matter what they price it)

Just switching out my one, two tuner, Premiere will save me $4 a month in cable card fees. That Premiere will then be used for OTA only. And I'll also use it to transfer content to watch when I carry the box to my GFs house when I visit.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
daveak
Series 3 Novice

I live in the GCI area and use them for internet and phone. I am OTA, but this looks interesting - compelling enough to attach myself to the cable cord once again? Not so sure.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
shwru980r

I think if Tivo sells the IP-STB separately, then most of the sales will be to replace a second premiere and there won’t be any gain in revenue unless they charge a high price for the IP-STB.

I could see them offering a discount on the IP-STB bundled with the purchase of a new XL4.

I also think they are going to have to register the IP-STB on the customer’s account to restrict the streaming to only the Tivos on the customer’s account. I think Tivo is going to want to get paid some kind of additional fee for another device on the customer’s account.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
BigJimOutlaw

At least initially, the Mini is effectively only an XL4 accessory anyway, so bundling won't really be necessary. But I could see them doing bundle deals too, sure.

There will be some cannibalization of 2-tuner DVRs, but I think it's a net gain for them because I believe many more installations will go towards extending Tivo's reach in the house where Tivo was not able to access before. Many or most people aren't willing to invest another $500 or more in DVRs for each of those secondary and tertiary TVs. It's also a net gain since the MSOs will take a rental fee for it. It won't totally blow the lid off their financials either way, but this makes their story attractive to their MSO partners, which is a benefit to them, as the above GCI story shows.

The retail service fee, however, is completely up in the air. My anally-pulled hunch is that there won't be additional fees for the retail box, but we'll have to keep waiting to find out. (Sucks, I hate waiting. )

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-21-2012 at 02:56 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

The more important questions are, when does it hit mass market, and will it work with my plain old regular Tivo premiere? You know, the two tuner one...
Old 08-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc View Post
The more important questions are, when does it hit mass market, and will it work with my plain old regular Tivo premiere? You know, the two tuner one...
That's so last decade....
Old 08-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
That's so last decade....
LOL
Old 08-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc View Post
The early indication is that it won't entirely work with 2-tuner Premieres on day 1. The early software design (as of 3 months ago) had the Mini hijack a DVR tuner for live TV streaming, but it would not release it. So a 4-tuner DVR effectively becomes a 3-tuner DVR. And so they are apparently blocking it from working with 2-tuner DVRs until this is resolved with a software update, because they believe having a 1-tuner DVR in this day and age is a sucky experience.

It will stream recordings from 2-tuner Tivos on the network. But an Elite/4/XL4 is still mandatory for setup.

It's POSSIBLE they've changed this setup since then, but I wouldn't count on it until we hear otherwise.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-21-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #16
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
But an Elite/XL4 is still mandatory for setup.
How about the new P4 (XL-Lite)?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #17
BigJimOutlaw

Oops, yes the P4 should work too. Updated my post.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
At least initially, the Mini is effectively only an XL4 accessory anyway, so bundling won't really be necessary.
Why would it be an accessory only for the XL4? It shouldn't matter how many tuners or what the size of the hard drive.

Quote:
There will be some cannibalization of 2-tuner DVRs,
In my case, no, because I would not buy another TiVo just for my occasional bedroom use. But a reasonably priced, subscription-free mini? I might do that

Quote:
but I think it's a net gain for them because I believe many more installations will go towards extending Tivo's reach in the house where Tivo was not able to access before.
Exactly. It makes the TiVo solution more competitive and more compelling.

Quote:
The retail service fee, however, is completely up in the air. My anally-pulled hunch is that there won't be additional fees for the retail box, but we'll have to keep waiting to find out. (Sucks, I hate waiting. )
If there is ANY fee, I am 100% not interested.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #19
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
The early indication is that it won't entirely work with 2-tuner Premieres on day 1. The early software design (as of 3 months ago) had the Mini hijack a DVR tuner for live TV streaming, but it would not release it. So a 4-tuner DVR effectively becomes a 3-tuner DVR. And so they are apparently blocking it from working with 2-tuner DVRs until this is resolved with a software update, because they believe having a 1-tuner DVR in this day and age is a sucky experience.

It will stream recordings from 2-tuner Tivos on the network. But an Elite/4/XL4 is still mandatory for setup.

It's POSSIBLE they've changed this setup since then, but I wouldn't count on it until we hear otherwise.
I think that is just incredibly stupid. I *never* watch live TV. And I live alone. So why should it matter how many tuners the DVR has?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
Test

I don't think there will be a monthly fee. How could there be? The fee is for guide data, if you're using this to stream/watch live/record from another TiVo why wouldn't it use that guide data?

That's just my opinion, I just don't think they could justify it. Right now we can setup recordings from the mobile apps and pretty soon we'll be able to stream to it. Same idea.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I think that is just incredibly stupid. I *never* watch live TV. And I live alone. So why should it matter how many tuners the DVR has?
Not sure if you're asking rhetorically or not, but if not, I tried to explain their logic in the previous post. I understand what you're saying completely though. I kind of wish they'd say "Live TV streaming coming soon" and release it to everybody instead of cramming in a half-baked solution before it's ready, but that was the state of things the last time we've gotten any info.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #22
magnus
Tivo User

Tivo Mini ... sounds like they will soon be Apple. Just a matter of time.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #23
don129

Looks interesting
don129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #24
LifeIsABeach

I have the RCN version of the TiVo Q as well as what they call a Preview box. Not sure if this is what they are now calling the Mini, but if it is:

1. The Q has 4 tuners. The Preview has its own tuner. However, you cannot pause, rewind, etc live tv on it. There is no buffer on the Preview. You also cannot see the 4 tuners on the Q (unless they are recording since they will then be in your My Shows list).

2. For some reason you cannot set something to record on the Preview and have it record on the Q. It can only be done on the Q. I downloaded the TiVo app on my Kindle Fire so that if I am watching the Preview and see something I want to record I can do it there.

At the beginning of the summer someone on here said these issues would be fixed by an end-of-summer update. Well, I got the update and they have not been fixed. They also added an error message if you try to hit pause on the Preview saying this is not availble in live tv which makes me think it may never work. The only things in the "update" were changes to the hd menus which I don't use because they are so slow and for some reason they took the seconds off the back-door onscreen clock and added an am/pm indicator.

Hopefully the Mini will be an improved version of the Preview and not have these problems.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #25
tivoknucklehead

is this device more like a slingcatcher or a slingbox?
can I stream my Tivo shows to my ipad outside my home like I can with my slingbox, or only inside my home like my slingcatcher?
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post
I have the RCN version of the TiVo Q as well as what they call a Preview box. Not sure if this is what they are now calling the Mini, but if it is:

1. The Q has 4 tuners. The Preview has its own tuner. However, you cannot pause, rewind, etc live tv on it. There is no buffer on the Preview. You also cannot see the 4 tuners on the Q (unless they are recording since they will then be in your My Shows list).

2. For some reason you cannot set something to record on the Preview and have it record on the Q. It can only be done on the Q. I downloaded the TiVo app on my Kindle Fire so that if I am watching the Preview and see something I want to record I can do it there.

At the beginning of the summer someone on here said these issues would be fixed by an end-of-summer update. Well, I got the update and they have not been fixed. They also added an error message if you try to hit pause on the Preview saying this is not availble in live tv which makes me think it may never work. The only things in the "update" were changes to the hd menus which I don't use because they are so slow and for some reason they took the seconds off the back-door onscreen clock and added an am/pm indicator.

Hopefully the Mini will be an improved version of the Preview and not have these problems.
The Preview is a different box than the Mini. The Mini should replace the Preview since the Mini will be a lower cost box. There is no cable card or tuner on the mini.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #27
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
is this device more like a slingcatcher or a slingbox?
can I stream my Tivo shows to my ipad outside my home like I can with my slingbox, or only inside my home like my slingcatcher?
The Tivo Mini will stream content to televisions.

The Tivo Stream (a different product) will stream content to portable devices, but not outside the house.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-22-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #28
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsABeach View Post

-snip-

At the beginning of the summer someone on here said these issues would be fixed by an end-of-summer update. Well, I got the update and they have not been fixed.
The Preview is different, as aaron explained. The Mini is strictly a streaming device, while the Preview is a full-blown non-recording STB.

The software update RCN customers just received was actually the spring update we got in May, so you were a little behind us. The summer/fall update yet to come will let the Preview (and the upcoming Mini) interact more with the Q/Elite/P4/XL4. You'll most likely get that update much more quickly than you got the spring update.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-22-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #29
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
The Tivo Mini will stream content to televisions.

The Tivo Stream (a different product) will stream content to portable devices, but not outside the house.
But I believe you must have a TiVo Stream to use the TiVo mini, no? At least, that would make sense to me. They they would incorporate the TiVo Stream functionality in the next TiVo (Series 5?)

To me, the Preview is a ridiculous device that was doomed to fail. It is far too complex and most TiVo owners have no interest in watching "live TV", so why would they want to pay a lot of extra up-front AND monthly costs for a local, non-recording tuner?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #30
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
But I believe you must have a TiVo Stream to use the TiVo mini, no? At least, that would make sense to me. They they would incorporate the TiVo Stream functionality in the next TiVo (Series 5?)

To me, the Preview is a ridiculous device that was doomed to fail. It is far too complex and most TiVo owners have no interest in watching "live TV", so why would they want to pay a lot of extra up-front AND monthly costs for a local, non-recording tuner?
The TiVo Stream is not required for the Mini. The Mini essentially provides nearly the same functionality as the Preview at a much lower price point without the hassle of CableCARD. The Mini can decode MPEG-2 and H.264 so the Stream is not required for its transcoding capabilities.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote