Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #61
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
My cable company requires a truck-roll to pair an M-card so its nice to have a back-up ready to go.
Didn't the FCC say they could no longer do that???
Old 08-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #62
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc View Post
Correct Then can not require that. My local company tried to pull that with me.. I contacted the FCC and now have a letter from the cable companies lawyer saying they screwed up
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #63
Finalrinse

Quote:
A year ago that's what they said. This Wednesday when my new TiVo arrives I'll see what they say. I'll report back
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #64
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I think a regular Premiere has two tuners (possibly within one chip), each of which can tune either OTA or cable frequencies. Presumably the new 4-tuner models use a different tuner chip (maybe 2 per chip or maybe 4 per chip) which for some reason cannot be set to use OTA frequencies. Or maybe the decoder chip(s) those models use can't decode 8-VSB encoded signals. In any case, TiVo should be able to design in as many tuner chips (dual or quad or whatever) as they want, as long as they write the software to juggle that many program steams and as long as the hard drives can handle all the data streams.
My understanding is the that main DVR chipset for all the Premieres comes from Broadcom, and it can handle 4 inputs from tuners.

The Premiere uses a pair of QAM digital cable hardware tuners and a pair of ATSC/NTSC OTA/NTSC analog cable hardware tuners connected to that chip and blends them together in software to make it act like two tuners which can each tune from any source. (I believe, if TiVo wanted to, they could, with a software change, allow you to record up to four things at once with a normal Premeire, but because of the limited hardware nature of the tuners 2 would have to be from cable and 2 from over-the-air/analog. What they can't do with software is make the ATSC tuner record from digital cable (QAM))

The Premiere 4 and Premier 4XL/Elite have four QAM tuners connected to that same DVR chipset but software exposes all four tuners.

If someone came out with cheap hardware that could tune from ATSC/NTSC/QAM then TiVo might well offer a quad tuner box that could record from any source. Or if Broadcom's next DVR chipset offered 6 or 8 tuner inputs then TiVo might expand their options that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Has anyone tried using jmfs live on an Elite/XL4? Does it work?
From what I understand the JMFS appears to understand the Elite/XL4 drive, but since the Premieres can only support up to 2 TB in a single drive it's kind of pointless to use JMS because you can't actually upgrade it's stock drive.

But JMFS should work to upgrade a Premiere 4's drive with one up to 2 TB.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #65
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
But JMFS should work to upgrade a Premiere 4's drive with one up to 2 TB.
I will be trying this tomorrow and will report back my results.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #66
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Hi--Do these 4 tuner machines require four cable cards from my provider
No, only one "M" card.
Interesting. We currently have a Tivo HD with one Comcast M card. Can we transfer the M card to a new Tivo 4 ourselves, or does this require a truck roll?

Thanks!

Kupe
kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #67
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Hey gang-

Our beloved TV HD is showing signs of nearing the end...like needing hourly reboots. Luckily I'm almost sold on a new Tivo 4...

Curious if our WD My DVR Expander (1TB) will work with a new Premiere or Tivo 4?

Thanks!

Kupe
Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #68
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupe View Post
Interesting. We currently have a Tivo HD with one Comcast M card. Can we transfer the M card to a new Tivo 4 ourselves, or does this require a truck roll?
You have to at least call your cable company and get it re-paired with the new TiVo.

Quote:
Curious if our WD My DVR Expander (1TB) will work with a new Premiere or Tivo 4?
You definitely would lose all programming on it (and the original Tivo).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #69
don129

Nice!
don129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #70
chiguy50

Quote:

Thanks!

Kupe
YMMV, but you should be able to move the CC to the new box yourself and, once you accomplish set-up of the new box, it should receive all your non-premium authorized channels without pairing. The card will have to be paired to the new box for premium channels and VOD or other interactive cable services. But, barring complications, re-pairing should not require more than a telephone call to Comcast (1-877-405-2298).
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #71
bmgoodman

Quote:
Hey gang-

Our beloved TV HD is showing signs of nearing the end...like needing hourly reboots. Luckily I'm almost sold on a new Tivo 4...

Thanks!

Kupe
What's the age of the expander? If it fails, don't you lose *all* your recordings? If yes, and it's as old as your Tivo HD, I'd be wary.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #72
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
YMMV, but you should be able to move the CC to the new box yourself and, once you accomplish set-up of the new box, it should receive all your non-premium authorized channels without pairing. The card will have to be paired to the new box for premium channels and VOD or other interactive cable services. But, barring complications, re-pairing should not require more than a telephone call to Comcast (1-877-405-2298).
Thanks everyone!

Kupe
Old 08-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #73
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
What's the age of the expander? If it fails, don't you lose *all* your recordings? If yes, and it's as old as your Tivo HD, I'd be wary.
Lemme think...we bought the Expander to record tons of the 2000 Winter Olympics, so just over 2 1/2 years old.

Yes, you're correct in that if the external dies, it takes all your recordings. I guess I was mostly curious if the My DVR Expanders of that vintage work at all with Premieres or Tivo 4s.

Thanks!

Kupe
Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #74
moedaman

Quote:
But honestly, it might be worth paying for a truck roll. Especially if you're a first-timer. Cable cards can be flakey and a tech will usually have more than one card on hand, or can quickly get another card, if the initial card being installed is bad.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #75
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
But honestly, it might be worth paying for a truck roll. Especially if you're a first-timer. Cable cards can be flakey and a tech will usually have more than one card on hand, or can quickly get another card, if the initial card being installed is bad.
I couldn't disagree more on this statement. Truck rolls are rarely worth anything except more aggrevation. Just follow the directions included with TiVo, update the software via Guided Setup (without cards), take a look at the info on-line concerning installing cablecards and then call the activation phone number.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #76
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes. A truck roll should be a last resort.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #77
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
I couldn't disagree more on this statement. Truck rolls are rarely worth anything except more aggrevation. Just follow the directions included with TiVo, update the software via Guided Setup (without cards), take a look at the info on-line concerning installing cablecards and then call the activation phone number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes. A truck roll should be a last resort.
While you're probably both correct. I've read plenty of horror stories about having to go back to the store multiple times to get a cable card that works correctly. Really sucks if you live a good distance away from the nearest location.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #78
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
While you're probably both correct. I've read plenty of horror stories about having to go back to the store multiple times to get a cable card that works correctly. Really sucks if you live a good distance away from the nearest location.
The same thing can happen with a truck roll. They end up having only one or two cable cards with them and have to make a return visit.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #79
Tony Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Correct Then can not require that. My local company tried to pull that with me.. I contacted the FCC and now have a letter from the cable companies lawyer saying they screwed up
My local Time-Warner people found a way around that. They let me pick up the cableCard for self-install but said they don't keep Tuning Adapters in stock for pickup, they are all on the trucks and someone would drop one by. Of course, when the truck showed up they said it was their stock they'd signed for and couldn't release it unless they installed it, and charged me $35 for the pleasure. I'm still disputing that one.
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #80
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Chick View Post
My local Time-Warner people found a way around that. They let me pick up the cableCard for self-install but said they don't keep Tuning Adapters in stock for pickup, they are all on the trucks and someone would drop one by. Of course, when the truck showed up they said it was their stock they'd signed for and couldn't release it unless they installed it, and charged me $35 for the pleasure. I'm still disputing that one.
I would also file a FCC complaint. http://www.fcc.gov/complaints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #81
lamontcranston
DBSTalker

Now on pre-order at solid signal: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=TCD750500
lamontcranston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #82
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontcranston View Post
You can order it now From Tivo and Best Buy
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #83
jjd_87

Received mine in the mail yesterday
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #84
KenVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
I will be trying this tomorrow and will report back my results.
so how did it go?? I really want to know before I consider buying one of these.
KenVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #85
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenVa View Post
so how did it go?? I really want to know before I consider buying one of these.
It went well, at first I had an issue recognizing both drives with the JMSF software in my PC but I think that was my fault, I got it worked out and my new P4 now has 317 HD hours. All is good!

Last edited by Finalrinse : 08-24-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:19 PM   #86
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
You can order it now From Tivo and Best Buy
The Best Buy info says it has a DVD recorder... I wish!! (err, I wish it had a BluRay recorder.)

Wait, so does the Solid Signal info.. I wonder if these sites got info from Tivo that they interpreted incorrectly.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #87
innocentfreak

That would be a really nice surprise, but I don't see it.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote