TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #31
rainwater

I think this might be the worst worded sweepstakes TiVo has ever created.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #32
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I wonder if it will work with the TiVo Desktop, doubt it though. If so that might solve the solution of being able to use it with your laptops.
Not when your laptops run Linux, it doesn't. But I could make due with at least a decent Android app.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #33
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I do think it would be smart to work on a Metro app with the rumors of the cheap Microsoft tablet.
The rumors are the exact opposite- they are that Microsoft doesn't have a chance in hell on the cheap tablet market and they are going for the "high end" (think $800+ tablets) only at this point.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #34
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Not when your laptops run Linux, it doesn't. But I could make due with at least a decent Android app.
So you are saying you can't use KMTTG? Since if they get it working with TiVo Desktop, KMTTG should be able to incorporate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #35
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
The rumors are the exact opposite- they are that Microsoft doesn't have a chance in hell on the cheap tablet market and they are going for the "high end" (think $800+ tablets) only at this point.
Surface RT will run ~ $400 and the Pro will be ~ $800. Lenovo should have an RT model starting at $300.

I also hope that a Metro App is in the future... It should be now that Android is going to be pushed out of the market! ( just teasing you... )

But all kidding aside, I will replace my iPad with a Surface as soon as I can.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #36
seattlewendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Surface RT will run ~ $400 and the Pro will be ~ $800. Lenovo should have an RT model starting at $300.

I also hope that a Metro App is in the future... It should be now that Android is going to be pushed out of the market! ( just teasing you... )

But all kidding aside, I will replace my iPad with a Surface as soon as I can.
There's no such thing as a "metro app". Metro is a design style that uses text instead of icons and graphics. Microsoft is officially not even using the term anymore and it never applied to apps.
Second Bradley is correct. The RT will not cost ~$400 as you claim. It's closer to ~$600. And the Lenovo $300 tablet is 7". That's more money than the Nook, the Fire, and the Galaxy 7". You think you have to wait long for Androids apps? You'll be waiting until the Apocalypse for W8 apps.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:43 AM   #37
seattlewendell

They should release a new box with this built in as well as the stand alone. I didn't want to believe it at first but the more companies like TiVo stumble around in this space the more I've come to believe that the Apple Television is real. Why would Apple stay out of this space when the compititon is so inept.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #38
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Seattle, word is that the next box (Series 5) out in 2013 will have this built into the box.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #39
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlewendell View Post
There's no such thing as a "metro app". Metro is a design style that uses text instead of icons and graphics. Microsoft is officially not even using the term anymore and it never applied to apps.
Second Bradley is correct. The RT will not cost ~$400 as you claim. It's closer to ~$600. And the Lenovo $300 tablet is 7". That's more money than the Nook, the Fire, and the Galaxy 7". You think you have to wait long for Androids apps? You'll be waiting until the Apocalypse for W8 apps.
Yes, I realize that Microsoft is not using the Metro term any longer and yes I also realize that it was a reference to style. But they often used the term "Metro Style Apps" to reference the new ecosystem. We can call them Windows 8 style apps if that makes you feel better...

What we know about cost is that the MS Surface RT version will be available in 32gb and 64gb versions and that it will be competitive with comparable tablets (i.e. the ipad)

The wifi only 32gb new ipad retails for $599 and the 64gb version retails for $699... Based on specs alone, the Windows tablet could easily go with those prices and be very worth the money - I suspect they will step down and you will see the 32gb retail at $499 and the 64gb retail at $599. Some rumors have the price even lower. (the $200 price is bogus and not even worth discussing)

As for availability of apps... Well, that is going to depend on market share. If the Windows 8 product gains a significant market share, then apps will be written for it - if not they will not be.

That said - within a year, every PC sold will come with Windows 8 pre-installed and with Android tablets foundering, every OEM manufacturer is looking for a product that is going to be competitive in the market.

I do believe that Windows 8 tablets will very quickly outpace Android tablets and within 18 months be very competitive with the IOS ecosystem. Once that happens - smart devs will obviously follow the money.

Note: Rumor has it that Lonovo will be selling a $300 Windows 8 RT tablet. Nothing I have read references size, so it may or may not be a 7" version. Until a product is officially announced it is what it is... A Rumor.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 08-21-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #40
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Win a chance to pre-order? Uhhhhhh okaaayyy

And this thing still doesn't have an MSRP?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #41
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I am glad everyone hates this idea! Less entries improve my chances of getting one early!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #42
BigJimOutlaw

There's no language indicating a pre-order means they get it earlier. That's why it's kind of silly.

With 600 winners, I'm guessing a darn good percentage of entrants will win.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #43
shwru980r

I can already stream most of the programming I record on my Tivo to a mobile device for free off the internet anyway. Maybe if I was going somewhere without internet access and wanted to watch a show on a mobile device, I would download from the streamer, but I can't remember ever needing to do that.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #44
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
with Android tablets foundering, every OEM manufacturer is looking for a product that is going to be competitive in the market.
Floundering? Android tablets have only been on the market for about 1.5 years. The number of choices are really heating up, the Fire was a success, and the Nexus 7 is already a big hit and it is barely out the door. Android already DOMINATES the smart phone market, blowing Apple away and MS is nowhere in that market. Android device activations are now ONE MILLION PER DAY! It will take a while for Android tablets to really make an impact on Apple tablets, but it is bound to happen. Most people want a similar phone/tablet experience and there is just a HUGE potential market for Android tablets to mate with peoples' Android phones.

Quote:
I do believe that Windows 8 tablets will very quickly outpace Android tablets
Possibly. But Android tablets have a 1.5 year head start, and over *500,000* available applications RIGHT NOW and still growing quickly (by more than 20,000 apps a month). And with the $200 Nexus 7, I think you might be surprised what happens over this Christmas season...

Quote:
and within 18 months be very competitive with the IOS ecosystem.
I think that is overly optimistic. But should be an interesting saga.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #45
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
I can already stream most of the programming I record on my Tivo to a mobile device for free off the internet anyway.
How, with a slingbox? That wasn't free if so.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #46
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Floundering?
I suspected you might disagree with me...

First, let's not confuse phones with tablets. Android is projected to sell 37.9 million tablets this year with a third of those being the cheaper / smaller Fire and Nexus units. That is compared to Apples 73 million premium units.

I do think that the small / cheap devices will always have a market. I purchased a Kindle Fire for my 10 yo daughter and it is OK... Similarly, I am sure the Nexus 7 is OK as well - for reading books or as a toy for a child.

Personally, I was an early iPad adopter and I don't care how many apps it has, it falls short for my needs... Sure it browses the Internet and lets me read email or consume other content. But for real work? I need something more.

I will purchase the pro version, but even the RT will have Microsoft office and a real file system and connect to my corporate environment... Apps will come - but on day one I can use Microsoft Excel optimized for touch!

I think Windows 8 will struggle on the standard desktop, but on a tablet it shines!

Will it kill the premium Android tablet? After using it for the last couple of months, I think it will. But only time will tell.

As for the Stream - TiVo will follow the users. Apple gives the functionality cache, and is great for marketing. Android should be a fast follower.

If windows 8 has a positive adoption - then we will see an app. But remember, world wide - 300 million PC's will be sold in 2013 and that is a lot of Windows 8 devices!

I think the apps will come.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 08-21-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #47
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I do think that the small / cheap devices will always have a market. I purchased a Kindle Fire for my 10 yo daughter and it is OK... Similarly, I am sure the Nexus 7 is OK as well - for reading books or as a toy for a child.
? You have obviously never used a Nexus 7, which is a quad-core 1.2Ghz (plus 5th power-saving core) Tegra 3 chipset with Nvidia graphics, high-res screen, NFC, and 1GB of fast RAM. It is easily as powerful as an iPad (although not as large, or as much storage, yet twice the memory and most of the same features, except no rear camera) for lower than half the price.

Quote:
Personally, I was an early iPad adopter and I don't care how many apps it has, it falls short for my needs... Sure it browses the Internet and lets me read email or consume other content. But for real work? I need something more.
Tablets are certainly not for everyone or for all tasks. But I know plenty of people that do "real work" on both Android and Apple tablets. (Of course, I know far, far more that just use them casually).

Quote:
I will purchase the pro version, but even the RT will have Microsoft office and a real file system and connect to my corporate environment... Apps will come - but on day one I can use Microsoft Excel optimized for touch!
There are several just-as-powerful and compatible spreadsheets (and office suites) for Android (I know, I have two of them). And there is already a "real" filesystem, connectivity to cloud storage, nfs clients, scp, Exchange clients. etc. I am not saying it is the right fit for you, but I *am* saying that there is nothing magic or overly compelling for an MS-Windows tablet. Just about anything you can imagine doing on an MS-Windows tablet has already been done under Android and/or iOS.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #48
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
? You have obviously never used a Nexus 7, which is a quad-core 1.2Ghz (plus 5th power-saving core) Tegra 3 chipset with Nvidia graphics, high-res screen, NFC, and 1GB of fast RAM. It is easily as powerful as an iPad (although not as large, or as much storage, yet twice the memory and most of the same features, except no rear camera) for lower than half the price.

Tablets are certainly not for everyone or for all tasks. But I know plenty of people that do "real work" on both Android and Apple tablets. (Of course, I know far, far more that just use them casually).

There are several just-as-powerful and compatible spreadsheets (and office suites) for Android (I know, I have two of them). And there is already a "real" filesystem, connectivity to cloud storage, nfs clients, scp, Exchange clients. etc. I am not saying it is the right fit for you, but I *am* saying that there is nothing magic or overly compelling for an MS-Windows tablet. Just about anything you can imagine doing on an MS-Windows tablet has already been done under Android and/or iOS.
If the Phone OS's are so powerful and functional, when should we expect to see them on full computers? I realize I am being a little snarky - but saying that these devices are anything but consumption devices is a joke.

I probably own every IOS productivity app in the library - seriously... But they are all garbage. You want to create, collaborate and share real content (PowerPoint, Excel, Word) you need a real computer. IOS CAN'T EVEN SHOW JPEG 2000!!!! Just shows up blank on PDF's. Try sitting in a meeting where half your presentation is full of blank pages! I have.

Take a look at the office 2013 keynote - try doing that on one of these current phone OS's!

CNET Review -

Microsoft Office 2013, Cnet Video
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

RT devices will come with the student version of office pre-installed.

I currently carry both a laptop and a tablet when I travel... Give me one device!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 08-22-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #49
morac
Cat God

Quote:

If the Phone OS's are so powerful and functional, when should we expect to see them on full computers? I realize I am being a little snarky - but saying that these devices are anything but consumption devices is a joke.
One could say that the latest version of OS X and Windows 8 are very much based on mobile OS's.

As for using only a tablet, it can be done, though not without a Bluetooth keyboard and a slight learning curve. The biggest issue is tablet screens aren't large enough for running multiple applications in cascaded windows (my widescreen monitor at work, is barely large enough for that) which requires switching between apps and many things, like programming, aren't feasible on a tablet, but for many tasks a tablet works fine, especially the 10" ones. I typed this entire message on my iPad 2 (no dictation for me).

Speaking of, there will almost certainly be an iPad mini coming out soon, as well as a larger screen iPhone, so I don't think Microsoft (or Android) is a sure bet for winning the tablet or phone markets. Oh and I know plenty of people who have Android phones and iPads. Not sure why, but that's what they do.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #50
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
One could say that the latest version of OS X and Windows 8 are very much based on mobile OS's.
I think both Microsoft and Apple would disagree with you.

Is office a differentiator for Microsoft tablets? For me it is, but only time will tell how it will translate into actual sales.

As for actual usage, watch some of the YouTube reviews and I think you can get a feel for usability.

Keynote PowerPoint / Outlook / OneNote:

Microsoft Office 2013 Demo Office 365 at Its Best on Windows 8 07/16/2012
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Cascading windows? The Windows 8 style is a different aproach...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 08-21-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #51
rainwater

So this thread has been ruined...
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #52
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Yeah sorry about that... Since I broke it, let me try to bring it back!

I think the sweepstakes is a pretty silly event. I get what TiVo is trying to do, they want to deploy a limited number of devices as a beta - that is fine. They also want to use the event to create a social media buzz - i think that is a fail.

But I do want a TiVo transcoder and would love to be in the Beta group, so I registered just the same.

While they are initially testing it on the IOS platform, I suspect that an android app is in development and should be available with the general release. If not, big fail.

I do hope that TiVo creates a path to offload content to a PC. A lot like can already be done using TiVo desktop.

How is that! Sorry, between a few after work drinks and my passion for the new W8 tablet form factor - I drug this thread way off topic. Oh and an opportunity to debate CRXSSI on a topic that I know we are both passionate about was too good to pass up! Even though I did intentionally bait him! Sorry dude!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #53
Ultiman
Tech junkie

I don't quite get the appeal of the stream. I'd rather just have an extender (ala AppleTV/ROKU app) that can wirelessly stream my shows stored on the Tivo to a different TV.

Maybe I'm missing how this can already be done?
Ultiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #54
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultiman View Post
I don't quite get the appeal of the stream. I'd rather just have an extender (ala AppleTV/ROKU app) that can wirelessly stream my shows stored on the Tivo to a different TV.

Maybe I'm missing how this can already be done?
That is really the purpose of the TiVo Mini.

The TiVo Stream allows you to stream content from your TiVo to a mobile device (currently limited to in network) and allows you to offload (sideload) content to watch remotely on mobile devices.

The TiVo Mini is an extender that will attach to another TV in your home and borrow a tuner from an existing 4 tuner Premier (current limitation). This will allow you to operate the Mini just like another TiVo!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #55
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm looking forward to the Stream. I have a SlingBox and bought the SlinBox app so I could watch TV on my iPad while I'm going to sleep. (wife wont allow real TV in bedroom) However I discovered shortly after buying the $30 app that my SlingBox is broken and will only stream for a few minutes before erroring out. (common problem, something to do with bad capacitors) Rather then give sling any more of my money I'm holding out for the Stream instead. For my purposes it's perfect.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #56
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Android already is on "full computers"- in it's parent form called Linux. And Google already makes ChromeOS netbooks, which is essentially Android.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #57
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
Well that sucks.... It let me enter without asking about the like on Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account so I don't know what will happen if I am "chosen".
As nothing seemed to verify my facebook account or lack of facebook account, I signed up anyway. If necessary, I'll friend Tivo if/when I'm chosen.

Maybe the originally intended this to be a facebook-based promotion?
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #58
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
How is that! Sorry, between a few after work drinks and my passion for the new W8 tablet form factor - I drug this thread way off topic. Oh and an opportunity to debate CRXSSI on a topic that I know we are both passionate about was too good to pass up! Even though I did intentionally bait him! Sorry dude!
Eh, thread drift is pretty normal on just about any forum.

I am still very interested in the TiVo Stream device as it connects to the TiVo Mini (as long as there are NO FEES) and Android access later would be a great bonus.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #59
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Android already is on "full computers"- in it's parent form called Linux. And Google already makes ChromeOS netbooks, which is essentially Android.
Chrome OS is an offshoot but it's not actually Android. And Android is based on Linux, but it's not Linux. In reality there are no desktop PCs running Android.

By contrast tablets running Windows 8 will be running the exact same OS that you run on your desktop. RT is a little different, but the x86 tablets will basically be netbooks with touch screens instead of keyboards. You'll probably even be able to hack them and install Linux instead.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #60
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You'll probably even be able to hack them and install Linux instead.

Dan
I predict that will happen about 10 minutes after they go on sale!

Quote:
the x86 tablets will basically be netbooks with touch screens
The surface pro will be running an i5 Ivy Bridge CPU (hopefully the Haswell chip set) with every port known to man including a USB3.0 port. I am not sure I would call it a Netbook, those are better specs then my "aging" laptop...

Lots of questions though - price, battery, heat, etc...

I really do not "want" an RT tablet, but I may end up purchasing one just to see how it handles the more complex software like MS Office.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)