TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
hummingbird_206

Major Crimes Season 1

Not sure I'll be as big of a fan of this show as I have been of The Closer. But I'll give it a chance since most of the characters from The Closer are on the show.
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
swinca
Menace to society

I didn't feel like watching it right after the ending of the Closer. I will check it out in the next few days.

xbox gamertag: swinca
swinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I was wondering how they would handle the opening (since Closer had such a distinctive one). And they did it exactly the same...which seems to me to be a statement that this really is a pure continuation of The Closer, and not a "mere" spin-off.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Not a fan of Mary McDonnell at all ( everything she does, looks, moves, speaks, reminds me of Stands With Fist) but I like the cast. I hope the tention between Povenza and Raydor lasts.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Cainebj

I was worried also so I thought I better watch it right after The Closer's final episode.

I actually thought they did a great job of creating a Brenda-less series and kept the best of what they had and added just the right touches.

I did question Brenda's husband being there but I guess it makes sense for a first episode and now he'll fade out.

Mary McDonnell. BRILLIANT. I think they played her from minor sub character to the lead perfectly.

I already mentioned in another thread I love that Rusty kid so glad to hear he is a regular
- although I kinda preferred the serial killer hooker version of Rusty more to the whiny I want my mommy version.

Best line of the night
what kind of name is Buzz?
this coming from a kid named Rusty?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Best line of the night
what kind of name is Buzz?
this coming from a kid named Rusty?
I'm with Rusty on this one. What kind of a name is Buzz? I've always wondered.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Named after Buzz Aldrin, perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Aldrin

The nickname "Buzz" originated in childhood: the younger of his two elder sisters mispronounced "brother" as "buzzer", and this was shortened to Buzz. Aldrin made it his legal first name in 1988.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
I always figured it was just his nickname, since he's the "techie" of the group.

Can't remember, the episode with his sister, did she call him Buzz too?

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
jamesl

back when he was a kid, "Buzz" used to salvage old broken radios, tv, computers and other electronics and build things out of them

so being the scavenger that he is, he earned the nickname "Buzz", short for Buzzard
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Jon J
Curmudgeon

On a 10 scale I give the first episode about a 4 but my momentary interim rating jumped sky high when Provenza and Flynn chewed on Raydor.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Gary McCoy

I'll have to say that the biggest objection I have is the suggestion that the legal system's problems be subverted by plea bargaining. I mean, I can see the pragmatic approach and understand that it demonstrates results, but I am a real believer in solving the root cause of the issues. If the legal system is broken, then you should fix it and not subvert it.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Actually, that's just a belated acknowledgement of reality. I can't remember what the percentage of cases that are resolved through a plea bargain, but I'm pretty sure it's well over 90.

Without plea bargains, it would take years and many times the money to get everything through the court system.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
GAViewer

I read somewhere that if all defendents refused a plea bargain, it could tie up the courts so much that the lawyers could then claim their clients weren't getting their "right to a speedy and public trial" and have the cases thrown out.
GAViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #14
Gary McCoy

Make a distinction between what is real and what is not. In the real world, District Attorney's and prosecutors weigh the evidence collected by police and determine the offenses charged. Then at a later date, they are free to amend the charges, or offer a plea bargain.

The premise of Major Crimes is that the Police stop an investigation before it is complete based on their assessment of the evidence accumulated so far, and the DA offers a plea on the initial offenses charged. That's different and scary. In spite of that brief spike of satisfaction, the pilot episode claims that the investigation was completed and the plea for two consecutive 30-to-life sentances was accepted in less than 4 hours. It's not credible, any more than is a 5-minute DNA test with 100% accuracy. In the real world, DNA testing costs more than Police departments can afford, and is seldom used on lesser crimes than first degree murder.

I mean, if the rules of evidence are too strict, liberalize them. If the Justices are too liberal, appoint different Justices. Whatever the root causes are of the problems you have, keep tweeking the system until it works reasonably well. The legal system today is not working and needs revision.

Last edited by Gary McCoy : 08-15-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Gary McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Howie
Out of Pocket

I recorded it, but have not yet watched it. I like Rader. She's just so goofy she's funny. I hope Brenda and Kevin got out of their financial problems from that Mader prick.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
Sadara
huh?

I like Provenza best in this episode! I'm not entirely certain I'll stick with it. I do not like the Raydor character at all. If they don't soften her up a little and make her at least a little more likable, I doubt I'll keep watching!
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #17
hummingbird_206

lol "Hanging Chad"
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
Gunnyman
Peekols

I'm giving it one or two more episodes before I give up.
The plea bargaining every week to "save money" is a big fat MEH to me.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
I'm giving it one or two more episodes before I give up.
The plea bargaining every week to "save money" is a big fat MEH to me.
I'm somewhat hopeful they're repeating it so much because there's a plan to have an episode where that approach becomes a seriously poor choice (i.e., they learn there's balance necessary between approaches).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
Gunnyman
Peekols

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I'm somewhat hopeful they're repeating it so much because there's a plan to have an episode where that approach becomes a seriously poor choice (i.e., they learn there's balance necessary between approaches).
yeah which is why I figure a couple of more episodes.
Sticking around because the cast has such excellent chemistry.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
AlphaDelta

The Closer: she always gets her man. Major Crimes: she always gets her man, and gives him a slap on the wrist.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
The Closer: she always gets her man. Major Crimes: she always gets her man, and gives him a slap on the wrist.
I think we'll need to see more episodes to be sure about that. With The Closer we didn't see the conviction, we just assumed that if the cops made and arrest and had a confession that they were found guilty of the max crime and got the max sentence. We don't know that was true though. I remember at least a couple where Brenda didn't get the conviction. Those were where she left the guy to be killed by the gang and the other guy who confessed in Mexico and she left him there.

While it annoyed the detectives, I have a hard time finding fault with the bargaining. As was said this week they convicted the wife of killing her serial rapist husband with no physical evidence. Had it gone to trial ( much later with much money spent ) the defense would have made a very big deal of the rapist angle and how she might have been saving women from being raped in the future. Even the video deletion angle might have been spun to be her deleting all but the only one that had already been made public. Not guaranteed to get her off, but not a sure conviction either.

The source of friction with the detectives is whether you're keeping score ( 1st degree vs manslaughter and 25+ vs 11 years ) or whether you're trying to catch the criminal and get them into jail.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #23
Flop

Eh, I'm done with this series. I never watched The Closer, and had no idea this was a spin-off/continuation with many of the same characters. I just saw it was a new series and thought I'd give it a shot, but if this is anything similar to The Closer I don't think I missed anything. The new captain is annoying enough that I'd want to punch her in the face. The lieutenant is an ass and should have been fired 10 years ago. The new detective is a sycophantic suck-up who should have peter principled out at meter maid. The whole story line with the kid/witness makes me want to poke my eyes with a hot fork: "whaaa, find my mom, find my mom, find my mom, find my mom." Seriously kid, we get it. You want mommy. Maybe having not watched The Closer, I'm missing something with this storyline, but in fact the entire police department seems so dysfunctional I can't believe they ever solve a crime.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
Jon J
Curmudgeon

It was a real struggle to make it through the latest episode. I am afraid the next episode will end its run for me.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #25
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
It was a real struggle to make it through the latest episode. I am afraid the next episode will end its run for me.
+1
Dawghows is online now   Reply With Quote