TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Dave in Houston

DirecTivo R10 user wondering how to upgrade

Dear TivoCommunity,

I've had DirecTV and DirecTivo R10 DVRs for about seven years. I've been very happy with them, and I've been resisting the move to HD TV, but recent events have forced me to upgrade the main TV to HD. The bedroom TV is still a CRT.

Though I pay DirecTV for content, I'me really more of a Tivo customer. I don't think I've ever used the DirecTV web site, and I've never paid DirecTV a pay-per-view fee.

I like the DirecTivo user interface and I use season pass routinely.

When I got the HDTV, I also bought a Blu-ray player, and I've been enjoying the HD Netflix. My old DirecTivo units still work fine, and they've been upgraded with big hard drives, but watching SD on an HD set is unsatisfying.

I've read that the new HD Tivo for DTV is quite limited. I've also accumulated a dozen or so Tivo remotes over the years, and being unable to use them would be a minor inconvenience.

The cable provider in my area is Comcast. There's no FIOS in my area.

It would be nice if I could find a solution with about the same monthly cash outlay as my current DTV bill.

What do you think I should do?

Last edited by Dave in Houston : 08-18-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Dave in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I would say that the new DirecTV TiVo (THR22) is for you. It has all the features of your existing DTiVo, plus a few others. It is limited only in comparison to modern standalone TiVos or the other DirecTV DVRs, but it sounds as if you would not miss the omissions. You would not be able to use your old remote, but the THR22 comes with a familiar peanut-shaped remote you should be happy with. One nice thing is that it can be set up to use RF rather than IR, like the other DirecTV DVRs.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Dave in Houston

Thanks for the advice. I have to admit, it's not what I expected, since the reports on that device are not generally glowing. I thought I might be advised to pick up a used lifetime Series 3 HD Tivo and maybe also a used SD Tivo for the bedroom box, then fight with the cable cards.

Does the THR-22 have the options for thirty second skip and displaying the time on the screen? Those are features that I might miss.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Houston View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have to admit, it's not what I expected, since the reports on that device are not generally glowing. I thought I might be advised to pick up a used lifetime Series 3 HD Tivo and maybe also a used SD Tivo for the bedroom box, then fight with the cable cards.
If you don't feel compelled to stick with DTV then you might be better off. Do the math on the total cost. A new TiVo from DTV means another commitment and a TiVo fee on top of their DVR fee.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
30-second skip, yes. Clock on display, not that I know of.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Dave in Houston

Thanks again for taking the time to post. I'll look into the costs before making a decision. It looks like there are several reasonable options.