TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
FredThompson

6.2a zipper DTivo to 6.4a w/slice - how to save all data?

The problem with remapped local channels finally hit us. I'm trying to find how to use the slicer to upgrade S2 DTivos from 6.2 without losing all the recordings and settings. I suppose the most important settings are the season passes. Our units have TivoWebPlus 2.1 b3 110622 and I've used its backup function for SPs. I've made a paper print of the SPs so they can be reconstructed manually if necessary.

DTV says the receiver needs to be connected to a phone line to get the 6.4a slice. Are there any configuration settings needed on a Zippered 6.2a to allow this?

Are the slicer instructions at http://www.dvrplayground.com/article...Release-Notes/ safe for my intended use or are there any modifications?

The biggest issue is I'm trying to keep the existing recordings.

Any help is appreciated.
FredThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
campusman

Same boat here

I am in Phoenix and I was going to watch the Olympics tonight but noticed some of the locals on my S2 DSR7000 arent available anymore and I came looking for a solution. Called DTV and they said to do a force upgrade to 6.4a and that should fix it but my unit is also zippered to 6.2a and I would rather not lose the functionality I have already with it being hacked. So just chiming in that you arent alone and if I find something online I'll post it here and maybe we can all get this sorted out.
campusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

If you have access to the bash prompt and want to preserve your recordings and settings, you can grab the 6.4a slices for your particular hardware at dvrupgrade.com (for example the Hughes HDVR2 slices are here) and load them into MFS (for example, this script will do it for the Hughes HDVR2) and then install 6.4a with the slicer utility or with the installSw.itcl script on the TiVo.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
FredThompson

(edited to keep up with post 11)

Many people are reporting 6.4a reboot cycles.

Has anyone who has NOT used the Zipper on an S2 DTiVo (preferably non-RID) upgraded to 6.4a WITHOUT the Zipper successfully? If a non-Zipper 2S non-RID DTiVo runs 6.4a properly, we can be pretty sure the issue is with the Zipper. If a RID DTiVo runs 6.4a and a non-RID DTiVo will not, we have a different issue.

I have looked at the 6.2a Zipper install quite extensively. I also made a 6.4a Zipper and had the reboot cycle.

IF 6.4a is stable on non-Zippered S2 DTiVos, there is hope. If 6.4a has a critical flaw which causes reboots, there's no point in upgrading.

I have tried upgrading with 6.4a slices but I forgot to edit swinstall.tcl to remove the reboot.

From what I see, the usb backport drivers are version 2.4.20-8 which are proper for 6.4a. "pegasus.o" and "usbnet.o" are identical.

I now have 2 drives, one is the original 6.2a which works great but no locals and a 6.4a (which had the proper superpatch values for 6.4a)

The superpatch values for 6.4a are different than those of 6.2a, as mentioned on the zipper home page.

Code:
These steps might be a manual method to properly update a a 6.2a zipper S2 DTiVo to 6.4a while keeping all hacks and settings. These 

are simply my notes. These are NOT verified to work nor are they verified to be complete. I found information in various places on 

both forums and specifically these 3 URLs:

http://www.dellanave.com/blog/2005/08/17/6-2-slice-upgrade-guide/
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=322312
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9106704#post9106704

How to upgrade Zippered S2 DTiVo to 6.4

"nnn" is the first 3 digits of the S2 DTiVo's service number
##) are commands to be executed on the S2 DTiVo via telnet command line interface

01) Establish telnet CLI connection to S2 DTiVo (TeraTerm Pro or other method)

02) Set read/write permission

rw

03) Move to "work area"

cd /var/packages

04) Download 6.4a slices

wget -O slices.tgz http://www.dvrupgrade.com/software/update_tool/6.4a-01-2-nnn.slices.tgz

05) Decompress the slices

chmod 755 *.tgz
	tar xzvf *.tgz
	gzip -d *.gz

06) Load the slices into the S2 DTiVo

dbload *.slice

07) Verify 6.4a slices were loaded properly - 6.4a-01-2-nnn should be displayed after this command

mls /SwSystem | tivosh
- or -
	TivoWeb: http://S2DTiVoIPAddress/mfs//SwSystem/

08) Modify installSw.itcl so it will NOT reboot

old 1:

putlog "Executing updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages"

new 1:

putlog "Executing updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $name"

old 2:

exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages >&@ stdout

new 2:

exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $name >&@ stdout

old 3: 	

reboot

new 3: 	

putlog "..not rebooting.."
	exit 0
	#reboot

09) Modify /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author with vi, joe or other method

old 1: 	

sleep 30

new 1: 	

sleep 90

old 2: 	

# starting Tivowebplus

new 2: 	

# starting Tivowebplus
	sleep 90

Ensure the “export HOSTNAME” does not include special characters like # or ‘.
   If it does comment the “export HOSTNAME” out or change the name

10) Command the S2 DTiVo to upgrade to version 6.4a:

/tvbin/installSw.itcl 6.4a-01-2-nnn

11) Replace existing superpatch in /hacks with 6.4a version

(Look in the other forum - Google is your friend)

12) Run Zipper hacks:

cd /enhancements; sh var-symlinks.sh

13) Use the on-screen menus to clear all settings

Last edited by FredThompson : 08-10-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I've been following those threads too. You've probably already seen it, but zorro255 posted a zippered 6.4a procedure that apparently was stable, but re-imaged the drive with 6.4a instead of upgrading: link. I forgot where I read it, but one theory was that older Instantcake versions updated to 6.4a via slices ran into issues when zippered. I don't think the was anything definitive on that though...
Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
FredThompson

I bought InstantCake 6.4a just a couple of days ago. That was the source for my Zipper test which gets locked in a reboot.

I now remember that I upgraded from a working 6.2a Zipper and didn't remove the reboot command at the end of swinstall. At that point, I was so tired and frustrated that I didn't use the serial cable method to get bash again. I didn't have the reboot loop so the issue wasn't upgrading from slices, it was lack of proper modification after the slices were installed.

Now I'm back to 6.2a with locals and I'm testing to see how to get to 6.4a from that start point.

The annoying part is each time a drive is created from scratch I have to get DirecTV to reset the permissions. It uses up a lot of time but I understand their need for security.

Once the upgrade is working properly, I'll fold the changes into a 6.4a zipper iso. If all goes well, it should be possible to make a set of instructions so Windows people can modify the Zipper appropriately.

Hadn't thought about a longer startup delay. That just might be the solution.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredThompson View Post
The annoying part is each time a drive is created from scratch I have to get DirecTV to reset the permissions. It uses up a lot of time but I understand their need for security.
Does DirecTV get pissy if you do that too often? I've done it twice online recently when messing around with 6.4a and don't want them to cut me off.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
FredThompson

IIRC, I called three times over two days. They never complained.

How did you request a reset online?

I'm testing some upgrade ideas with a duplicated 6.2a drive now. Crossing fingers...
Old 08-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

You just go to "My Equipment" at directv.com and select "Reauthorize Online". I've never tried the phone method myself...
Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
FredThompson

I've simplified the steps. The update to 6.4a happened properly, locals are present, there is no reboot loop and the static IP appears to work but I cannot connect over telnet or TivoWebPlus so something didn't work properly while rehooking the zipper mods in.

Oh...I forgot to update the Superpatch. I'll start over and post the status.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
FredThompson

I tried again with what I believe to be a proper Superpatch and tried the reset everything command instead of rebooting. This time there were no locals and no network support.

I tried with and without delays in rc.sysinit.author and neither seemed to make any difference.

My superpatch has support for many builds. Maybe it's not correct. I'll modify 6.2a superpatch to bypass the version check and use the 6.4a values. Given we know we want to run 6.4a this shouldn't cause any problems.

That's enough for today. Will try again tomorrow. This is annoying!!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
FredThompson

Bah! I forgot the upgrade process swaps bootpage.

Easy enough to handle, the Zipper stuff needs to get copied onto it and run there.

I'll test it tonight.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
FredThompson

This is far more effort than I'd hoped. The challenge is knowing which files to copy from the old bootpage to the new bootpage. I decided to make a 6.4a zipper and go that route. $40 to dvrupgrade and it's done.

I DID, however, change the existing 30 second delay in rc.sysinit.author to 90 seconds and added a 90 second delay before the call to TivoWebPlus BEFORE restarting the TiVo. When it came back up, I left it for a little while, connected via telnet to enter the rw command, updated TivoWebPlus to b3 110622, ran the satellite setup and asked DirecTV to reset the authorizations for local channels.

Everything works now.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I'm probably going to do a similar effort this week with 6.4a on a "new to me" HDVR2. I'm going to get it up and running in a stock config and get a good backup first before I start zipping. Hopefully I'll end up with a stable build too.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
FredThompson

It's stuck in the reboot cycle now. Seems to run for a couple of days then down, the same as other people are seeing. My guess is there's a little bit of improper code in the startup. Digging around again, hoping to find a solution. This stinks.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
FredThompson

I now remember reading about 6.4a having problems with old usb net drivers which would cause the reboot loop. Pulled the drive and put it in a PC. Added the 2.4.20-8 .o files in a new directory of the Zipper ISO and burned it. I don't have time to get back to this for a few days. My next test is to copy those .o files over the one in the bootpage's /lib/modules directory. The "culprit" might be only the echi-hcd.o file but some testing needs to be done.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Interesting theory on the USB drivers. If that's the case I wonder if stability only becomes an issue when a USB network adapter is present. Did you choose the "install backport USB drivers" option when creating the zipper iso?

It would be interesting to see the zipper source code so I could see all of the steps it performs and have the ability to run them manually. Unfortunately, I've only found the binary and not the source... I'm wondering if it might be worth it for me to manually put a killhdinitrd kernel in place and then piecemeal the other stuff I want into place.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #18
FredThompson

pre-8 usb drivers were cited as a known problem on the other forum for 6.4a. Yes, I chose the backport drivers when I made the Zipper CD. The source files appear to have part of the -8 driver set but the resultant ISO looks to be older files. The Tivo will boot for about 2 days then starts to lock up. There is mention of successful boot w/o the NIC being present. That didn't work for me, nothing but a reboot loop. I forgot which bootpage is used as well as how to mount a particular partition. Tried Sysinternals Linux reader. It will identify the partitions but won't mount. That's what drove me back to modifying the Zipper ISO. The plan is boot with it and the TiVo's 2 drives then overlay the -8 drivers from it onto the DTiVo boot drive. I am about to walk out the door for a couple of days so this has to wait until I get back. Stupid mistake. I had read about the need for -8 drivers and didn't overwrite them when I had the chance. Now I've got stuff on the boot drive which I want to watch so have to do a more complex route. Yes, I thought about modifying the Zipper ISO to do the driver overwrite as well. However, I noticed the first boot after 6.4a Zipper has a long software update on the DTiVo so I'm not sure the destination partition exists until after that. Upgrading from 6.2a to 6.4a with slices gives a different bootpage.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

My stock HDVR2 is now up and running with 6.4a. I'll probably run it for a while to test stability before I start messing around with it.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #20
FredThompson

I have another idea. Somewhere I saw comments about NOT allowing the zipper to configure for reboots. The prompt states something about having a telephone attached for PPV ordering. I'll try that. Maybe the rebooting was a problem. I also noticed that TivoWeb's menu would change after a couple of days. It became more compact horizontally.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #21
Xtra7973

Thanks for your work testing this out Fred. I have a couple of HDVR2's that I need to update. Its amazing how much you forget when things "just work". Off to read some more, I will keep an eye on this thread. Thanks again
Xtra7973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #22
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
I have another idea. Somewhere I saw comments about NOT allowing the zipper to configure for reboots. The prompt states something about having a telephone attached for PPV ordering. I'll try that. Maybe the rebooting was a problem. I also noticed that TivoWeb's menu would change after a couple of days. It became more compact horizontally.
I think it's only supposed to happen once per week. Do you suspect a cron issue?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #23
FredThompson

@Xtra7973, you're welcome. Yes, there's a re-learning curve. How old is the Zipper? Something like 5 years or so?

Right now I'm not sure what to suspect. I've re-Zippered with a superpatch that is only for 6.4a just in case there was an error in the "everything" version. I also replaced the files in the Zipper ISO's drivers/2.4.20_Series2 directory with those of the same names from the 2.4.20-8 directories of the driver archive from the other site.

After running tweak.sh I called DirecTV and took a guess. Their voice system recognized the phrase "resend authorizations" and did it almost instantly. Locals are visible. Uptime looks good.

Been running for 2 days with 1 nightly update. Cannot make SPs or set wishlists to active from TivoWebPlus. IIRC, it takes 2 nightly scheduling updates until that works. The error message looks like this:

Code:
-------INTERNAL SERVER ERROR------  --cut here--action:saveseasonpass, path:, env:quality 100 kam 0 showtype 2 keepuntil 1 startearly 0 endlate 0 objectid 56159/23 type 1 seriesfsid 8545 stationfsid 6784 action Create, code:'TV_NM_NAME_NOT_FOUND'
can't scan path (TV_NM_NAME_NOT_FOUND)

while executing
"mfs scan $mfsdir -start $name -count $count"
    invoked from: "transaction {
if {$blen<$count} break
set batch [mfs scan $mfsdir -start $name -count $count]
set blen [llength $batch]
if {[lindex [lindex $batch 0] ..."
    invoked from: "if [set code [catch {
if {$i<$blen} {
foreach {id name type} [lindex $batch $i] break
if {$prelen>=0 && $prefix!=[string range $name 0 $prelen]} break..."
    (procedure "ForeachMfsFile" line 12)
    invoked from: "ForeachMfsFile fsid name type $::seasonpassdir "" {
scan $name "%d~%d" num dummy
if { $num > $maxpri } {
set maxpri $num
}
if {$need_npk} {
catch {
Re..."
    (procedure "CreateSeasonPass" line 9)
    invoked from: "CreateSeasonPass $type $stationfsid $seriesfsid $quality [expr $startearly * 60] [expr $endlate * 60] $kam $showtype $keepuntil"
    (procedure "MOD::action_saveseasonpass" line 24)
    invoked from: "$cmd $chan $path $env"
--cut here--
Have seen some of the network transfers drop. Have not tested every common network transfer method.

I do not remember how many days the last attempt was up before it started rebooting itself. I wonder if it was the weekly phone call which is stubbed out. Cron issue? Maybe. We shall see. Want to add another drive but think that pulling the power should wait for another week to see what happens.

No hesitancy to modify TivoWebPlus if there are good functions. I'm using 2.1 b3 110622 with no mods. Looking at:
Global blocklist for wishlists http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=353390 (but will mod to support SPs)
New Episodes http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=143639
Dual-TiVo conflict resolution http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=138225
There was a module which would send an email every day which listed the conflicts. Don't remember where I found it years ago.
I'm also planning to create station logos for some stations which do not have logos in TWP.

Last edited by FredThompson : 08-20-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #24
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I restored a backup of my stock non-zippered HDVR2 onto a spare unsubbed one I have and zippered it up using superpatch-67all-NutKase-1.2 and the backport USB drivers. It's not subbed and not connected to the dish, but I have network connectivity and while playing around I have seen some spontaneous reboots that look phone-related of all things:

Code:
From tverr log:

Aug 20 13:11:37 (none) TvCryptoManager[194]: Invalid encryption key
Aug 20 13:14:33 (none) TvCryptoManager[191]: Invalid encryption key
Aug 20 13:20:13 (none) TvCryptoManager[193]: Invalid encryption key
Aug 20 13:30:11 (none) TvCryptoManager[196]: Invalid encryption key
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: Tmk Fatal Error: Activity Phone <1616> strayed! (block timestamp 674452892991)
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: pc 0x929ef4 status 0x8001fc13 cause 0x000010 bva 0xaaaaaab6 hi 00000000 lo 0x000032 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: R00 0x00000000  R01 0x80150000  R02 0x00230003  R03 0xaaaaaaaa  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: R04 0xaaaaaaaa  R05 0x00000001  R06 0x7fc7f1c0  R07 0x00000000  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: R08 0x0000fc00  R09 0xffffdfff  R10 0x00000000  R11 0x00000001  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: R12 0x82d9fc5c  R13 0x7f4ff628  R14 0x000015fc  R15 0x80186018  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: R16 0x5efca7f0  R17 0x5efca7c8  R18 0x7fc7f338  R19 0x7fc7f390  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: R20 0x00000001  R21 0x5efc8000  R22 0x00000001  R23 0x5efc8000  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: R24 0x00000000  R25 0x0240e6e0  R26 0x00000000  R27 0x00000000  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: R28 0x2ac1c1f0  R29 0x7fc7f2a8  R30 0x7fc7f368  R31 0x00929ee4  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: bt -t /tvbin/tivoapp
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   tcd 1 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   hpk Series2 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   build b-6-4-prod @299218 2008.05.08-0010 release-mips [] 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   pack 6.4a-01-2 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x00400000 /tvbin/tivoapp 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x02000000 /lib/libc.so.6 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x02200000 /lib/libm.so.6 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x02400000 /lib/libpthread.so.0 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x02600000 /lib/libutil.so.1 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x02800000 /lib/libtvutil.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x02a00000 /lib/libtmk.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x02c00000 /lib/libtvstructures.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x2aaa8000 /lib/ld.so.1 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x2ab04000 /lib/libhpkoss.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x2ab50000 /platform/lib/libhpkhl.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x2ac18000 /platform/lib/libhpkll.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x2ac5c000 /lib/libdl.so.2 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   read 0x2aca0000 /lib/libcdaudio.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]:   0x00929ef4 0x00927f00 0x00c3d000 0x008f63c0 0x008f5ffc 0x008f061c 0x008f0244 0x008ef058 0x0096c224 0x00472f14 0x00f3f7b4 0x02a2871c 0x02a304bc 0x02a298cc 0x02a28a48 0x02a28834 0x02a6069c 0x02a2871c 0x02a28630 0x02a2b03c 0x02a3c684 0x02a3c56c 0x02a3c41c 0x02a3b978 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: Tmk Fatal Error: Activity Phone <1616>: unexpected signal 10
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: Tmk Fatal Error: Thread died due to signal 10
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) Activity Phone[1616]: Invoking rule 834: rebooting system
Aug 20 15:49:34 (none) TvCryptoManager[190]: Invalid encryption key
Aug 20 16:40:06 (none) TvCryptoManager[195]: Invalid encryption key
Code:
From kernel log:

Aug 20 15:46:19 (none) kernel: ApgManager Transition from state ACQUIRE_MARKER to ACQUIRE_MARKER 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: emulate_load_store_insn: sending signal 10 to tcphonehome(1616) 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: $0 : 00000000 80150000 00230003 aaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa 00000001 7fc7f1c0 00000000 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: $8 : 0000fc00 ffffdfff 00000000 00000001 82d9fc5c 7f4ff628 000015fc 80186018 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: $16: 5efca7f0 5efca7c8 7fc7f338 7fc7f390 00000001 5efc8000 00000001 5efc8000 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: $24: 00000000 0240e6e0                   2ac1c1f0 7fc7f2a8 7fc7f368 00929ee4 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: Hi : 00000000 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: Lo : 00000032 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: epc  : 00929ef0    Tainted: P  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: Status: 8001fc13 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: Cause : 00000010 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:        800c0570 800c058c 800c48a4 800c332c 800c30ac 800bed9c  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:        00929ef0 00927f00 00c3d000 008f63c0 008f5ffc 008f061c 008f0244 008ef058 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:        0096c224 00472f14 00f3f7b4 02a2871c 02a304bc 02a298cc 02a28a48 02a28834 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:        02a6069c 02a2871c 02a28630 02a2b03c 02a3c684 02a3c56c 02a3c41c 02a3b978 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:        
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: Tmk Fatal Error: Activity Phone <1616> strayed! 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: pc 0x929ef4 status 0x8001fc13 cause 0x000010 bva 0xaaaaaab6 hi 00000000 lo 0x000032 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: R00 0x00000000  R01 0x80150000  R02 0x00230003  R03 0xaaaaaaaa   
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: R04 0xaaaaaaaa  R05 0x00000001  R06 0x7fc7f1c0  R07 0x00000000   
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: R08 0x0000fc00  R09 0xffffdfff  R10 0x00000000  R11 0x00000001   
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: R12 0x82d9fc5c  R13 0x7f4ff628  R14 0x000015fc  R15 0x80186018   
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: R16 0x5efca7f0  R17 0x5efca7c8  R18 0x7fc7f338  R19 0x7fc7f390   
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: R20 0x00000001  R21 0x5efc8000  R22 0x00000001  R23 0x5efc8000   
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: R24 0x00000000  R25 0x0240e6e0  R26 0x00000000  R27 0x00000000   
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: R28 0x2ac1c1f0  R29 0x7fc7f2a8  R30 0x7fc7f368  R31 0x00929ee4   
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: Paste the following into a shell to get a backtrace... 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: bt -t /tvbin/tivoapp <<END_OF_BT 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   tcd 1 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   hpk Series2 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   build b-6-4-prod @299218 2008.05.08-0010 release-mips [] 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   pack 6.4a-01-2 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x00400000 /tvbin/tivoapp 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x02000000 /lib/libc.so.6 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x02200000 /lib/libm.so.6 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x02400000 /lib/libpthread.so.0 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x02600000 /lib/libutil.so.1 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x02800000 /lib/libtvutil.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x02a00000 /lib/libtmk.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x02c00000 /lib/libtvstructures.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x2aaa8000 /lib/ld.so.1 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x2ab04000 /lib/libhpkoss.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x2ab50000 /platform/lib/libhpkhl.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x2ac18000 /platform/lib/libhpkll.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x2ac5c000 /lib/libdl.so.2 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   read 0x2aca0000 /lib/libcdaudio.so 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   0x00929ef4 0x00927f00 0x00c3d000 0x008f63c0 0x008f5ffc 0x008f061c 0x008f0244  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   0x008ef058 0x0096c224 0x00472f14 0x00f3f7b4 0x02a2871c 0x02a304bc 0x02a298cc  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   0x02a28a48 0x02a28834 0x02a6069c 0x02a2871c 0x02a28630 0x02a2b03c 0x02a3c684  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel:   0x02a3c56c 0x02a3c41c 0x02a3b978  
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: END_OF_BT 
Aug 20 15:47:01 (none) kernel: Tmk Fatal Error: Activity Phone <1616>: unexpected signal 10

Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
FredThompson

1.2 doesn't have appropriate patches for 6.4a. Poke around the other forum and you'll find those values easily enough.

I now suspect my attempts to update 1.2 to 1.17 were incorrect and the patches didn't all work correctly. That's why I modified superpatch 6.2a to use the values for 6.4a and changed the conditional test. It appears to have installed and executed properly. We shall see in the next week or so...

Another issue could be the kernel. I haven't checked to see which the Zipper installs. Look in the S2 area of the other forum and you will see a reply to me which states that 6.4a is stable, dependent on kernel version. That could also be a factor.

For now, the possible culprits I have are:
usb drivers
kernel build
superpatch
unknown
Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #26
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
1.2 doesn't have appropriate patches for 6.4a. Poke around the other forum and you'll find those values easily enough.

I now suspect my attempts to update 1.2 to 1.17 were incorrect and the patches didn't all work correctly. That's why I modified superpatch 6.2a to use the values for 6.4a and changed the conditional test. It appears to have installed and executed properly. We shall see in the next week or so...

Another issue could be the kernel. I haven't checked to see which the Zipper installs. Look in the S2 area of the other forum and you will see a reply to me which states that 6.4a is stable, dependent on kernel version. That could also be a factor.

For now, the possible culprits I have are:
usb drivers
kernel build
superpatch
unknown
Thanks, I lazily followed the superpatch info from mastersav.com and must have missed something so I'll check out ddb. I've been using kernel version 7.2.2-oth-K1 but can go back to 3.1.5 if need be.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #27
FredThompson

TWP reports my kernel is 2.4.20. Zipper takes care of LBA48.

Let's assume the system is finally stable. What benefit would there be to using a higher kernel?

FWIW: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=331394 discusses some 8.1 reboot issues.

my uptime is 1d2h (must have rebooted itself) so we wait and see what happens. TWP's report of TiVo time is static. What's the use of that?

Any idea how to get system updates to show in the TWP todo list? I thought they were visible but maybe that is only on-screen.

Last edited by FredThompson : 08-21-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #28
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

The proper kernel version is 2.4.20 for TiVo software versions 3.1.5 and 7.2.2, which are both "vulnerable" to the killhdinitrd utility. I believe the 2.4.20 kernel from the 3.1.5 software release is what is included with the LBA48 CD "with Enhancements", but I've never used it and just manually run killhdinitrd on the virgin kernels instead. Apparently, there is some sort of licensing deal with DVRupgrade where you can't share killhdinitrd kernels, but it is legit to share virgin kernels and then run killhdinitrd on them yourself (there are known md5 hashes of the virgin and hacked kernels to verify what you have is legit).

I can't get to ddb either. Frustrating...
Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #29
FredThompson

Understood. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #30
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
Thanks, I lazily followed the superpatch info from mastersav.com and must have missed something so I'll check out ddb.
I patched the superpatch from 1.2 to 1.15 and my logs look much better now. Apparently I took the 1.2 comment "for all known 6.x and 7.x versions" at face value without considering that 6.4a wasn't released when that statement was made.