TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Premiere Streaming: Now I like it

Ok, so my initial response to the MRV streaming of Premiere was "meh" because we never have a need to start one place and then move to another. On top of that, simple transfers were more than adequate if we wanted to record in the bedroom and then watch on the big TV in the living room. So then the Olympics come along and NBC arbitrarily sets the CCI byte on five basic lineup HD channels, two of of which are favorites (SyFy and USA). Why??? Anyway, so I get a second Premiere and discover that I can simply play the copywrited show on my other Tivo without transferring. I was concerned that my wireless G network would be too slow for HD but the only effect I saw was that the fast forward through the commercials always went at about one-click speed. Take that, NBC.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Ok, so my initial response to the MRV streaming of Premiere was "meh" because we never have a need to start one place and then move to another. On top of that, simple transfers were more than adequate if we wanted to record in the bedroom and then watch on the big TV in the living room. So then the Olympics come along and NBC arbitrarily sets the CCI byte on five basic lineup HD channels, two of of which are favorites (SyFy and USA). Why??? Anyway, so I get a second Premiere and discover that I can simply play the copywrited show on my other Tivo without transferring. I was concerned that my wireless G network would be too slow for HD but the only effect I saw was that the fast forward through the commercials always went at about one-click speed. Take that, NBC.
Nothing I recorded from SYFY or USA before, during or after the Olympics is copy protected. So either

a) Your cable co did this on their own.

or

b) My local provider (Comcast) ignored the request.

BTW, the word is copyrighted, as in the right to copy. And even if material is not copyprotected, it is still copyrighted.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Nothing I recorded from SYFY or USA before, during or after the Olympics is copy protected. So either

or

BTW, the word is copyrighted, as in the right to copy. And even if material is not copyprotected, it is still copyrighted.
Sorry, copy protected is what I meant to say. I thought that the cable company just passed along the copy protection status mandated by the companies they buy the channel packages from. I did bring it to the attention of the senior techie at their customer service center. He was befuddled. Interestingly, it was only the HD versions of those channels (I also get the SD digital and SD analog versions) and the three HD channels NBC added during the Olympics were not copy protected. Olympics are done but CCI=0x02 lives on.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Quote:
Sorry, copy protected is what I meant to say. I thought that the cable company just passed along the copy protection status mandated by the companies they buy the channel packages from. I did bring it to the attention of the senior techie at their customer service center. He was befuddled. Interestingly, it was only the HD versions of those channels (I also get the SD digital and SD analog versions) and the three HD channels NBC added during the Olympics were not copy protected. Olympics are done but CCI=0x02 lives on.
Most of the TiVo owners who have TWC as their provider wish it was that way with regards to copy protection. Who is your cable provider?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Most of the TiVo owners who have TWC as their provider wish it was that way with regards to copy protection. Who is your cable provider?
Suddenlink. They bought the Cox franchise in our area a few years ago. I told the tech that it seemed like an anomaly to me that those HD channels would suddenly get set to 0x02. He was able to determine that the five seemingly unrelated channels were all tied to the NBC package. Maybe I'll shoot an e-mail to their regional VP. That worked wonders when I had issues getting a self-install CableCard paired.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:

or

Ok, I finally got my cable provider to check it out. The official word from NBC is that, yes they put the copy protection on their "affiliated" channels (SyFy, USA, Bravo, MSNBS, and CNBC on my system) but only the HD versions of those channels. Yes, it was nationwide. Yes, it happened close to the time that the temporary Olympics channels came online but that was a coincidence. No, the cable company cannot reduce the copy protection applied by the channel package provider. The guy who dug into it for me said that it is not in the best interest of his company to apply their own level of copy protection above what the channel providers specify. By the way, their standard DVR is the baseline Premeire.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Ok, I finally got my cable provider to check it out. The official word from NBC is that, yes they put the copy protection on their "affiliated" channels (SyFy, USA, Bravo, MSNBS, and CNBC on my system) but only the HD versions of those channels. Yes, it was nationwide. Yes, it happened close to the time that the temporary Olympics channels came online but that was a coincidence. No, the cable company cannot reduce the copy protection applied by the channel package provider. The guy who dug into it for me said that it is not in the best interest of his company to apply their own level of copy protection above what the channel providers specify. By the way, their standard DVR is the baseline Premeire.
Then my local Comcast hasn't gotten the memo. Of course, I suppose it's remotely possible that your cable co is lying to you or at least being disingenuous, but that is hard to believe. After all, they are known to be as honest as the day is long - at the North Pole in December.

Could "nationwide" really mean "Suddenlink wide"?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
After all, they are known to be as honest as the day is long - at the North Pole in December.
Haven't been at the North Pole in December but I have been inside the Artic Circle at that time. Flew to Thule, Greenland for a basketball game while in the Air Force.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ok, I finally got my cable provider to check it out. The official word from NBC is that, yes they put the copy protection on their "affiliated" channels (SyFy, USA, Bravo, MSNBS, and CNBC on my system) but only the HD versions of those channels. Yes, it was nationwide. Yes, it happened close to the time that the temporary Olympics channels came online but that was a coincidence. No, the cable company cannot reduce the copy protection applied by the channel package provider.
I just checked and I have a few episodes of Royal Pains recorded in the last few weeks from USA-HD and they are not protected. The only networks protected on my system (Charter) are the premium channels.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote