TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #31
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
lrhorer spends most of his time crapping on everyone else's opinion so take it for what it's worth (does crap ring a bell?). He likes to think that his taste in TV programming is far and above what we peons like to watch so I've learned to ignore his ramblings. What amazes me is that he owns four Tivos yet constantly declares that there's nothing on TV worth watching.
Well, look how many tuners you're running in order to be able to prove there's nothing on worth watching.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #32
mr.unnatural

Seems to me that would prove the exact opposite. FWIW, five of the tuners are shared with other PCs (two ATSC and three digital cable). Although the main PC has access to them it's unlikely it will ever actually use any of them. I was originally using one Ceton InfiniTV4 and two Hauppauge 2250 ATSC tuners. For some reason WMC wasn't using any of the digital cable tuners from the networked HDHomeRun Prime, even though at least one tuner was always available. I had an extra InfiniTV4 sitting idle so I thought I'd add it to the mix to pick up the slack. Most of the shows I record during the summer are all on FIOS and not available via OTA. With the fall season about to gear up the 2nd InfiniTV4 will mostly be taking up space.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #33
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
TiVoStephen,

Thanks for posting the press release here! This does seem to bridge the gap between the Premiere and Premiere XL4 nicely.

Scott
Except for the too-small 500GB drive - a 4-tuner box should have 1TB minimum.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #34
mr.unnatural

In today's market and available drive sizes it should come with a 2TB drive as a minimum. 500GB is an absolute joke.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #35
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Except for the too-small 500GB drive - a 4-tuner box should have 1TB minimum.

This is probably because this is the configuration that the cable companies use with the Premiere Q.

But i do agree, 500GB is too small. Although I think that even a 2TB drive is too small.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #36
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Is it impossible to upgrade the drive?
Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #37
mr.unnatural

Right now I don't believe there are any user available upgrade options other than possibly purchasing a pre-configured drive from Weaknees or other vendor, assuming they're even available. Tivo has been tighter with their security measures with regards to hacking with each new model they release. It's a shame because hackability was always my No. 1 reason for going with Tivo over other DVRs.

I no longer have any reason to be loyal to Tivo since they've taken away the one feature I found most attractive. Tivo announced at the very beginning that they would eventually be providing drive upgrades to Tivo owners, but that never materialized. Perhaps they worked out some sort of arrangement with Weaknees and DVRUpgrade to handle that part of the market so they wouldn't have to. Problem is, the price of the upgrade drives is much too high for what you get, especially when you consider that it used to be a simple task to upgrade a drive you purchased yourself at a considerably lower cost.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #38
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Right now I don't believe there are any user available upgrade options other than possibly purchasing a pre-configured drive from Weaknees or other vendor, assuming they're even available. Tivo has been tighter with their security measures with regards to hacking with each new model they release. It's a shame because hackability was always my No. 1 reason for going with Tivo over other DVRs.

I no longer have any reason to be loyal to Tivo since they've taken away the one feature I found most attractive. Tivo announced at the very beginning that they would eventually be providing drive upgrades to Tivo owners, but that never materialized. Perhaps they worked out some sort of arrangement with Weaknees and DVRUpgrade to handle that part of the market so they wouldn't have to. Problem is, the price of the upgrade drives is much too high for what you get, especially when you consider that it used to be a simple task to upgrade a drive you purchased yourself at a considerably lower cost.
You can use DVR_Dude to upgrade at a lower price. I've been pleased with his service in the past and would have no problem using him again in the future if I need to.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #39
lpwcomp

Quote:
In today's market and available drive sizes it should come with a 2TB drive as a minimum. 500GB is an absolute joke.
Then the only difference between a 4 and an XL4 would be THX certification, hardly justifying a $150 price reduction.

Quote:

Does anyone have any reason to think that JMFS won't work? It is possible that it won't, but I wouldn't reject it until it has been tried.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #40
SnakeEyes

I don't think I've ever seen him mention what he considers quality TV, just thread craps on others
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote