TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
dave13077

Join the Stream Team

Tivo just tweeted this. Must be getting close now....

http://sweeps.tivo.com/StreamTeam/
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
mikebaratta

They posted on Facebook as well.
mikebaratta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

So it's a sweepstakes to win a chance to pre-order?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
compnurd

LOL i just thought the same thing
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

I entered for my chance to buy??? Weird but whatever...

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
dave13077

I am thinking it is a list for the opportunity (read: send you an email) to pre-order but they will pick one entry and give one away. Not a bad marketing plan.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
windracer
joined the 10k club

I don't see anything in the T&C that says they are giving one away, just 600 "winners" get to pre-order. The Facebook "requirement" makes me ineligible anyway.

Quote:
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Sweepstakes begins 8/20/2012 at 9:00:00 AM PT and ends on 8/26/2012 at 11:59:59 PM PT . Open only to current legal residents of the 50 states of the United States and D.C. who are the age of majority in their respective jurisdiction at the time of entry and are a fan of the TiVo page on Facebook (www.facebook.com/tivo) at the time of entry. Void where prohibited. Limit 1 entry per natural person/email address. 600 winners will be selected. To enter and for Official Rules visit www.facebook.com/tivo.

*TiVo Premiere DVR and service subscription required and sold separately. MoCA or Ethernet connection required. iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch running iOS5 or later required and sold separately. Not all programs may be transferred using TiVo Stream due to the use of copy protection mechanisms permitted under the FCC's encoding rules. Some shows cannot be transferred due to the copy protection assigned them by the program provider. These shows usually are marked with a red circle-slash icon. (47 C.F.R. 76.1904)

If you have any questions, please contact TiVo Customer Support at 1-877-367-8486. 2160 Gold Street, Alviso, CA 95002-2160.

©2012 TiVo Inc. All rights reserved. TiVo and the TiVo logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. or its subsidiaries worldwide. iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Please feel free to review our Privacy Policy.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I don't see anything in the T&C that says they are giving one away, just 600 "winners" get to pre-order. The Facebook "requirement" makes me ineligible anyway.
Yep, the Facebook thing makes me ineligble too. Oh well.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Well that sucks.... It let me enter without asking about the like on Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account so I don't know what will happen if I am "chosen".

And BTW.. They are having a contest that I have to "win" to buy one of their products. Who do they think they are Apple??
Old 08-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
mulscully

Not that interested in the stream thing.. I am more Interested in the extender
mulscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077

Well that sucks.... It let me enter without asking about the like on Facebook. I don't have a Facebook account so I don't know what will happen if I am "chosen".

And BTW.. They are having a contest that I have to "win" to buy one of their products. Who do they think they are Apple??
Maybe they will be Apple soon.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
Krellion

IOS device-only kills it for me.
)
TiVo HD XL (S3, Lifetime) @ 1TB - CableCARD/TA
TiVo Premiere XL4/Elite (S4, Lifetime) @ 2TB - CableCARD/TA
Krellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Maybe they will be Apple soon.
Oooo! Apple + TiVo! That would be a match made in heaven.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krellion View Post
IOS device-only....
Say it isn't so...
Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

The contest is only a week long. Maybe next week they will make an announcement about the price?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
morac
Cat God

Quote:
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN
It's only necessary after you win.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
WTF!! iOS only? Why would I have an Apple device?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #18
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
WTF!! iOS only? Why would I have an Apple device?
I'm sure the Android phone and tablet apps will be updated to support the Stream but not on launch.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
muzzymate

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
It's only necessary after you win.
Ha ha! I wish they would have released more details on the device before announcing the pre-order "sweepstakes". Biggest unanswered question is how much will this device cost? Since I have Time Warner that CCx02s everything, it limits greatly what I can take outside my home network.
muzzymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #20
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzymate View Post
Ha ha! I wish they would have released more details on the device before announcing the pre-order "sweepstakes". Biggest unanswered question is how much will this device cost? Since I have Time Warner that CCx02s everything, it limits greatly what I can take outside my home network.
It does say to contact TiVo Customer Support if you have any questions. It's highly unlikely they'll have any idea what the price is going to be, but you could try anyway.

As far as I can tell, the contest entry is not a contract to buy though, so you can always back out if you "win" and the price is too high.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #21
djwilso

Win a chance to pre-order? Wow, the level of lameness here is... astounding.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
Rebate_King

This is truly silly. A chance to "win" a chance to preorder something to buy.

At least the one good thing about this is that it looks like we are getting very close to the stream being available for purchase. Maybe 30 days or less?
Rebate_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #23
drebbe
Carbon Blob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebate_King View Post
This is truly silly. A chance to "win" a chance to preorder something to buy.

At least the one good thing about this is that it looks like we are getting very close to the stream being available for purchase. Maybe 30 days or less?
Oppo essentially did the same thing with their early acceptance program for the BDP-83 blu-ray player and Ceton is doing now for their new echo, but I agree calling it a sweepstakes is kind of silly when it's really just a paid beta.
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
+1

No Android = no sale.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #25
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I'm sure the Android phone and tablet apps will be updated to support the Stream but not on launch.
Yeah, what, a year later?

I love how the main headline announcement is worded: "Stream shows from your TiVo® Premiere DVR to your mobile devices at home or wirelessly transfer shows for on-the-go entertainment"

This is misleading. My Linux netbook is mobile- no support. My Xoom Android tablet is mobile- no support. My Android phone- no support. People with MacOS or MS-Windows laptops- also no support. All of those are "mobile devices".

So it should be worded ".... to a few mobile devices, but only if they are Apple and laptops/notebooks excluded...".
Old 08-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
innocentfreak

I wonder if it will work with the TiVo Desktop, doubt it though. If so that might solve the solution of being able to use it with your laptops. Then again if someone like wmcbrine or moyekj can get a workaround it sounds like it would be a nice solution for offloading already compressed content.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #27
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I wonder if it will work with the TiVo Desktop, doubt it though. If so that might solve the solution of being able to use it with your laptops. Then again if someone like wmcbrine or moyekj can get a workaround it sounds like it would be a nice solution for offloading already compressed content.
I think you'll see Android support before any updates to desktop. I could envision a new metro app for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 which would be the replacement to TiVo Desktop. I will go out on the limb and say we'll see the Android update to support the Stream by the end of the year.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #28
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I think you'll see Android support before any updates to desktop. I could envision a new metro app for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 which would be the replacement to TiVo Desktop. I will go out on the limb and say we'll see the Android update to support the Stream by the end of the year.
Well as long as someone can do like they did with the iPad Discovery, then we wouldn't need a new TiVo Desktop.

I would say that is probably right though I could see it next year also. I don't remember how long it took for the Android app to come out compared to the IOS apps or how often the updates come after the IOS updates.

I do think it would be smart to work on a Metro app with the rumors of the cheap Microsoft tablet.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #29
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak

I would say that is probably right though I could see it next year also. I don't remember how long it took for the Android app to come out compared to the IOS apps or how often the updates come after the IOS updates.
The android app, still doesn't have all the features that the iOS app does. A friend of mine has a Premiere and I was showing him the iOS app in away mode, where I can look at My Shows and even delete one (not sure I'd ever want to, but I can). He has an Android phone so I said he could do the same thing. I was misinformed apparently since he couldn't see his My Shows in away mode (it looked like what a Series 3 looks like in the iOS app). It told him to connect to his local network. I thought maybe he had an old version, but he checked and he had the latest version.

So either his Premiere isn't working correctly or the Android app doesn't have those features in away mode.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #30
Test

Ahhhhh I got fooled. You should update the OP with the fact that it's a sweepstakes for the chance to win a chance to pre-order