TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
wally87

Time Warner/Tivo App

My older son has Directv. Today we installed an app (and some hardware) that allows him to watch tv from his dvr anywhere. I'm using my Tivo with Time Warner. Is there anything in the works that will give me this capability?
wally87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
mrizzo80

Time Warner has an app that will allow you to watch Live TV on your iPhone (probably iPad as well but I don't own one) within your home for free.

TiVo is working on a device to allow you to watch TiVo recordings within your home. Should be out this fall.

In order to watch everywhere (ie outside the home), you would probably need to buy a Vulkano or Sling device. The same device that TiVo is releasing this fall may eventually support outside the home viewing, but I think its just going to be available on your home network for the foreseeable future.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
falken98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
but I think its just going to be available on your home network for the foreseeable future.
Which means with a little technical skill you could view it from anywhere.
falken98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by falken98 View Post
Which means with a little technical skill you could view it from anywhere.
In terms of the TWC App, didn't they update the app to lock down the backdoors that allowed tech-savvy users to watch live TV away from their home network?
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Rez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
In terms of the TWC App, didn't they update the app to lock down the backdoors that allowed tech-savvy users to watch live TV away from their home network?
Yes, they attempted to prevent location shifting. In the process they totally broke the app if you attempt to use a local proxy. Instead of having the app check if the configured proxy and the app are on the same network they prevent a connection of any proxy is in use.
Rez is offline   Reply With Quote