TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
btgulledge

Having problems with s3 oled after psu died

My parents gave me their lifetime s3 tivo a while back after it died. My girlfriend and I have been wanting to upgrade from a single tuner, so I was pretty excited when I found the thread about how a lot of these have bad power psus. So I bought a decent soldering station and replaced 11 of the 15 caps on the psu. Fired it up and hard drive was clicking badly. Went to microcenter and picked up a wd10earx (1tb) drive and used an image from unitron i found. i used winmfs.
It never makes it out of powering up screen. Ive tried several times and nothing. It does the same thing when the hd is unpluged. could it be a bad cable? or even a bad hd? any ideas?

Thanks- Bryan
btgulledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Have you measured the 5V (+/-5%) and 12V (+/-10%) from the power supply? Don't disconnect anything. Probe where the red (5V), yellow (12V) and black (gnd) wires are soldered to the PS board. BEWARE OF SHOCK HAZARD.

Search for wd10earx in the sticky thread for drive expansion:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370784
to see what experiences others have had with this drive.

You could also run mfr's diagnostics on the HDD. WD provides a windows version of it's Lifeguard Diagnostics that you can run with your drive either connected to a SATA connection on your motherboard or using a USB-SATA connector. To be sure it's good you need to do the extended test, which will take up to 10 hrs using the USB-SATA connector for a 1 TB drive.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgulledge View Post
My parents gave me their lifetime s3 tivo a while back after it died. My girlfriend and I have been wanting to upgrade from a single tuner, so I was pretty excited when I found the thread about how a lot of these have bad power psus. So I bought a decent soldering station and replaced 11 of the 15 caps on the psu. Fired it up and hard drive was clicking badly. Went to microcenter and picked up a wd10earx (1tb) drive and used an image from unitron i found. i used winmfs.
It never makes it out of powering up screen. Ive tried several times and nothing. It does the same thing when the hd is unpluged. could it be a bad cable? or even a bad hd? any ideas?

Thanks- Bryan
Did you run the wdidle3 utility to disable Intellipark on that hard drive?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
btgulledge

I'm so sorry guys, I've been sick this past week and I expected my email to tell my that i got a replies, but I guess it doesn't.
Thanks for the replies. dlfl - I havent got to check the volts as i left my m-meter at a friends house but I think I will go grab it and test it before I do too much of anything else. unitron -I did run wdidle3 and I got gray screen after I did but nothing else. I ran it after the image was restored if that makes a difference.
any other suggestions?
thanks so much- Bryan
ps is there a way to get email notification when I get a reply??
Old 08-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
I'm so sorry guys, I've been sick this past week and I expected my email to tell my that i got a replies, but I guess it doesn't.
Thanks for the replies. dlfl - I havent got to check the volts as i left my m-meter at a friends house but I think I will go grab it and test it before I do too much of anything else. unitron -I did run wdidle3 and I got gray screen after I did but nothing else. I ran it after the image was restored if that makes a difference.
any other suggestions?
thanks so much- Bryan
User control panel, edit options, Messaging & Notification , Default Thread Subscription Mode, instant email notification

When you ran wdidle3, on a computer, I assume, did it let you change anything, or say something about timer already disabled, or what?

Old 08-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
btgulledge

I used an ISO I found called "the ultimate bootable cd" cause I'm not smart enough to make my own bootable cd. I ran the utility as per the instructions and it said "timer is disabled" and I rebooted. I think there is a way of changing specs though.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
I used an ISO I found called "the ultimate bootable cd" cause I'm not smart enough to make my own bootable cd. I ran the utility as per the instructions and it said "timer is disabled" and I rebooted. I think there is a way of changing specs though.
"timer is disabled" is good.

For a drive going into a TiVo.

Go here:

http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...10earx&x=0&y=0

and download the 3 things that start out "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic..."

The first one you can put on a boot floppy, the second on a cd, and the third you can run as a Windows program.

They're probably .zip files and will have to be uncompressed into something useable.

Check your cd/dvd software and see if there isn't a "write (or burn) as an image" option.

That's the one that'll let you take the .iso file of the second one and burn a bootable cd-r with it.

The reason to do this is to run WD's own long test on that EARX, to make sure there's nothing wrong with the drive itself.

(which is really what one should do with any new-to-them hard drive before putting it to use)

Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
oinkaroonie

Quote:
At the top of this thread is a Thread Tools button. Click that and choose Subscribe to this Thread. That enables email notifications.
oinkaroonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
btgulledge

ok I'll give the test a try and see what happens. Is it common for these drives to be bad?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
ok I'll give the test a try and see what happens. Is it common for these drives to be bad?
Do you mean is it common for the brand new WD you bought to be bad?

No, but it's not impossible, and it's a possibility you need to eliminate as part of the troubleshooting process.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
btgulledge

It just seemed like you were saying that this specific model maybe had problems. It should finish up in the next hour, are there any specific results I am looking for or is it pass or fail? thanks!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
It just seemed like you were saying that this specific model maybe had problems. It should finish up in the next hour, are there any specific results I am looking for or is it pass or fail? thanks!
Any brand new drive can be bad.

It only happens in a very small percentage of them, but it does happen. Maybe it bounced around too much during shipping.

The WD diagnostics should give you details on anything wrong if anything is wrong. You may have to open a separate log file before closing the program to see it, or I may be remembering the Seagate utilty instead.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
btgulledge

It said it passed the extended test. I expected a chart showing all the things it tested for put all I could find said passed. I have a Hitachi laptop hd thats 250gb I think I will try tomorrow just to see what will happen. Dont know what to do.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
It said it passed the extended test. I expected a chart showing all the things it tested for put all I could find said passed. I have a Hitachi laptop hd thats 250gb I think I will try tomorrow just to see what will happen. Dont know what to do.
Do you mean try the laptop drive as a TiVo drive, or try the WD diagnostic software on it? 'Cause I think you'll need Hitachi's own software for the latter.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
btgulledge

I decided not to try the laptop drive, as the tivo drive, cause I was have some trouble transfering files with it in an external enclosure. What do I do now?? I do not have any cable cards in it but I cant imagine that would make a difference. In a day or two I'll go get my multimeter and test the voltage.
thanks so much- Bryan
Old 08-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
lrhorer

Well, you could install a serial port on the Tivo in order to monitor output from the boot sequence. It requires a TTL - Serial converter and a little drilling. Omikron might still have one of the serial converters lying around.

In the mean time, you can install the drive on a PC and look at the partition information using Win_MFS. You could boot into Linux and inspect the OS partitions.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote