TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2012, 03:10 AM   #1
eirefire22

Changing M-Cards between tivos?

Hello! I currently have a Tivo HD with an M Card from Comcast. I just purchased the Premiere 4 tuner - can I change over the M Card myself or do you have to have the cable company come out to do it?

Thanks!
eirefire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirefire22 View Post
Hello! I currently have a Tivo HD with an M Card from Comcast. I just purchased the Premiere 4 tuner - can I change over the M Card myself or do you have to have the cable company come out to do it?

Thanks!
I just did that with TWC. They have a CC self install support number. Only took 10 minutes. Maybe someone knows the Comcast CC self install number.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:

Thanks!
You can physically change it over yourself (watch out for static electricity). It will need to be paired with the new Tivo so usually cable companies have a number to call. I just did the same switch over yesterday for my new P4.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #4
crawlernight11

That's a very simple process and you can do it yourself. There is no need for the cable company to come over. Premiere series will support only M-Cards and the CableCARD slot is located at the back usually. The entire process may consume about 1 hour to complete. All you need to do it simply move the Multi-stream CableCARD from your old TiVo box to your new TiVo Premiere and follow the instructions on the installation menus that automatically appear on your TV screen. You can also call the self installation number for help that is available in the website.
crawlernight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
Finalrinse

Quote:

Thanks!
Did a call to Comcast work? I'll be trying this tonight.

Last edited by Finalrinse : 08-22-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
...It will need to be paired with the new Tivo so usually cable companies have a number to call...
That depends on the CableCo. We have Mediacom, and I took an M-card I had for a beta unit (when I had to return the beta) and put it in my TiVo HD without a hiccup (it had to S-cards). No pairing required.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
Did a call to Comcast work? I'll be trying this tonight.
My call to Comcast worked, they were glad to try and do it over the phone. Just make sure if it's a new box you absolutely need to do guided setup first before you call.
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote