TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
mazelady

Automatic transfers

I have a garage apartment about 30 feet from my house. I am trying to find the best way to get tv to that apartment without having to run a second cable line and paying another monthly fee.

I have 3 tivos in my house and 1 version of tivo desktop. My son is moving to the garage apartment and wants to be able to watch tv.

I can put one of the 3 tivos (1 premiere 2 series 2) in the garage apartment with a wireless adapter but it will only be able to transfer shows from the other tivos.

Is there a way to set up automatic transfers to the garage tivo? (I know we can do automatic transfers to the desktop)

Can tivos download shows from the internet?
mazelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

What cable system? Any shows that have copy protection applied will not be able to be transferred.
Any shows on the Premiere recorded in HD will not be able to be transferred to a Series 2.

Automatic transfers? How is the Tivo supposed to know what your son wants to watch?
Your son will just have to set up transfers manually, in advance for when he wants to watch TV at the spur of a moment.

A series 2 can download content from Amazon, but it's not free. You have to purchase/rent the material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

With Tivo Desktop, you are limited to "Pull" recordings/.mpg off another Tivo/PC from that Tivo. Without a cable coax, it wouldn't be able to record anything, but you can have an antenna on a Premiere without an analog digital converter box (Series 2 needs it though).

With PyTivo with the auto-push option, you can "push" shows from the PC.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
mazelady

The Tivo desktop has the feature where you can pick a show to automatically transfer all episodes of a series from your tivo to your pc (like all the NCIS episodes).
mazelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazelady View Post
The Tivo desktop has the feature where you can pick a show to automatically transfer all episodes of a series from your tivo to your pc (like all the NCIS episodes).
Yes, but not in the other direction, TO a Tivo. To do that, you would have to be in front of the TV/Tivo and select shows to transfer.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
I am trying to find the best way to get tv to that apartment without having to run a second cable line and paying another monthly fee.
Another monthly fee for what? Most CATV companies do not charge anything for additional outlets.

Quote:
I can put one of the 3 tivos (1 premiere 2 series 2) in the garage apartment with a wireless adapter but it will only be able to transfer shows from the other tivos.
Why do you say that? Although it is not very good at it, TDT allows one to transfer videos from the PC to a remote TiVo.

Quote:
Is there a way to set up automatic transfers to the garage tivo? (I know we can do automatic transfers to the desktop)
Any transfer to an S2 is going to be pretty slow. Is that the objection? If so, you might pick up an S3 with lifetime service on ebay.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote