TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
Idearat

Burn Notice "Official Business" 8/16/2012

It was at the very beginning, but I'm not sure if it was from last week or this week, but we saw info on the weapon that killed Nate.

The specs Sam had said it was a .950 caliber projectile. That caught my eye as it does sound a bit big. Turns out you can buy a rifle that shoots that size ammunition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.950_JDJ
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...jumbo-950-jdj/

I guess this explains how it went through two bodies and the sign.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
The specs Sam had said it was a .950 caliber projectile. That caught my eye as it does sound a bit big. Turns out you can buy a rifle that shoots that size ammunition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.950_JDJ
Quote:
In a 110 lb (50 kg) rifle, this will develop well over 200 ft·lbf (270 J) of free recoil energy if an efficient muzzle brake is not used. This is far beyond the shoulder-firing capacity of nearly all humans, even without considering the difficulty of shouldering such a heavy rifle. Shooting is usually heavy "lead sled" or similar shooting rest, and the rifle is not held to the shoulder because of the severe recoil and possible injury.
So whoever shot them must have been carrying around one of these (the lead sled, not the rifle) and a bunch of lead shot.

Does not look like it is quick and easy to aim that thing.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Idearat

Youtube has a video of several guys shooting it. They used a bench rest, but had it up to their shoulders ( with a big pad between ) I don't think anyone could do 3 shots in rapid succession Oswald-style, but they might get the one. Harder to do might be getting at the right high point to be lined up for the shot while lugging around 100lbs of rifle and kit.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
obixman

I had a friend in collage who purchase a Russian Anti-tank rifle at a gun show.

Very impressive, but utterly impractable for anything other than an ambush.

"Warstories" - Firefly
obixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quite practical for impressing people!

(And maybe scaring the crap out of them, and getting a reputation as that crazy guy...)
Old 08-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Imagine the odds.

The official investigation, short, and shut down, IDs the exact rifle used.
Only one company ever sold it.
Only one company ever bought one.
Only one guy working for that company could have fired it.

Now we're off to a new big secret, conspiracy organization behind the security company behind the shooter of Anson and behind pulling Anson's strings who was behind/and or alongside Management and pulling Michael and Fi's strings.... *yawn*

The last episode Bruce blew a line reading and they didn't bother to reloop it. I think the whole crew is bored as we are.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 08-18-2012 at 10:41 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

If he got hit by that, there wouldn't be anything left but pink mist.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Imagine the odds.

The official investigation, short, and shut down, IDs the exact rifle used.
Only one company ever sold it.
Only one company ever bought one.
That is incorrect. A bunch of rifles were sold, but since they knew the exact rifle, they were able to figure out who bought it.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
That is incorrect. A bunch of rifles were sold, but since they knew the exact rifle, they were able to figure out who bought it.
The exact rifle? All they had was the evidence of what kind of rifle based on the short investigation. The bullet, maybe.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
verdugan

Quote:
The exact rifle? All they had was the evidence of what kind of rifle based on the short investigation. The bullet, maybe.
You know what, you've got me doubting myself now. I don't remember how they narrowed it down to that company, but I do remember that they had sold multiple rifles. In fact, I seem to remember it was 12 rifles, but based on my previous post, I could be wrong.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
cheesesteak
Meh.

Were those CIA clowns from the Sam Ax movie or from an earlier Burn Notice season (or both)?

I spent half the episode wondering where I recognized the actor playing the suspected bad guy from. It was from that commercial with the miniature giraffe. I can't remember the product though.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Were those CIA clowns from the Sam Ax movie or from an earlier Burn Notice season (or both)?
Yes, Bailey and Manaro . I suspected it when they showed up, but when they asked to have them not get the blame for the screwup that clinched it for me.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
We saw the 2 stooges first on an early BN episode when they were trying to pressure Mike and Sam snarled that they had gotten him nearly killed. The Sam Ax movie was a prequel with that story.

--------

How about the poor service station guy who gets beat up for not believing those random goofs were really CIA, which BTW is not allowed to operate inside the US.
UVerse and OTA

Old 08-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
verdugan

Quote:

I spent half the episode wondering where I recognized the actor playing the suspected bad guy from. It was from that commercial with the miniature giraffe. I can't remember the product though.
Yes, that's him. It's for Directv. He was also the big bad guy in several episodes of Criminal Minds.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #15
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
How did they know the exact rifle? We never heard that they found out where the shot came from, much less the weapon.
UVerse and OTA

Old 08-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
How did they know the exact rifle? We never heard that they found out where the shot came from, much less the weapon.
Through a lot of magical hand-waving, which I didn't pay much attention to because...well, it was magical hand-waving.

But my impression was they first figured out that it was the one and only kind of gun that could fire that ammo, and then figured out that of the examples of that gun that are around, it could only have been the one that was owned by that particular mercenary company.

It was gibberish, but it was the exact same kind of gibberish that this show always passes off on us so its characters can move ahead in the plot without the writers having to do actual work.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
john4200

Is it possible to do ballistics analysis on the projectile from one of those big rifles (and were they able to retrieve it from behind that wall)?

If so, is it possible that on such a low-volume rifle as this, that the manufacturer may fire a few rounds off and keep photographs of the projectiles on file, for every rifle manufactured?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #18
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Were those CIA clowns from the Sam Ax movie or from an earlier Burn Notice season (or both)?...
One of 'em looked like Frank Zappa (RIP)...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Again, nothing at all believable or plausible with this episode, or for that matter this how at all. Doesn't matter to me, it's a fun ride.

The best part for me has always been Mike's description of his "McGuyver" type tricks to get him in and out of trouble.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #20
newsposter
Poster of News

i finally caught up with the season. i'm glad the fiona jail thing ended relatively quickly...was getting a tad boring. i still cannot get use to mike being back on good terms with the company..just too weird

when will mother finally just leave miami? nothing but trouble finds here..i dont think she even had a bf this year. now with brother dead, i guess she will be even more protective of mike but if they ever want to write her out, they sure have just cause.

i also like the new handler isnt afraid to trust mike and lets him go out on a limb occasionally.

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote