TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #31
jrtroo
User

Perhaps, but they want to have a product that competes against lower cost boxes. $250 as the cheapest unit would scare too many potential customers away who don't care about 2TB.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #32
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I wasn't saying get rid of the Premiere 500GB, @ $150

I was saying keep the Premiere XL w/ 2TB, THX, Glo-Remote and leave the price @ $250

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #33
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfll954 View Post
will tivo allow me to upgrade the equipment and ride out the year..
Most likely not though they might. Call and ask. I don't think you'll have a lot of luck there though, they want you to have multiple devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveKayFt View Post
I'm surprised, albeit not greatly, that there is no integrated OTA tuner.
I was a bit surprised to see this with the 'Elite', but with the Premiere 4, not so much. I don't think we'll ever see an OTA tuner from Tivo again, and that's just dandy with me. Since everything is pretty much 'digital' anyways, why would they do this?

I have a Premiere going off contract in September, looks like it's time for an upgrade . Not only will I save some monthly dough, I'll have more available tuners. Since I don't max either box out much, I think 75 hours should be good
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #34
MeInDallas

Does anyone know if this has the same motherboard, power supply, and tuners as the regular Premiere? Or is it the same stuff the Elite/XL4 has inside? If its the same as the regular Premiere I might try one, but if its the same as the Elite/XL4 I'll pass on it since the Elite was such a nightmare for me. I just sold my Elite/XL4 on Ebay last week. Funny this comes out now after its gone. I hope there is some feedback on this one soon.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #35
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

I don't see how this could possibly have the same board, or CPU configuration. You'd need a good bit more juice to handle the additional 2 tuners
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #36
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
I don't see how this could possibly have the same board, or CPU configuration. You'd need a good bit more juice to handle the additional 2 tuners
What a deal breaker for me, I got all excited for nothing
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #37
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
Nope. The days of a built-in OTA tuner are history.
If they discontinue all models with OTA tuners, they are insane. I hope and trust that TiVo management is not that stupid.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #38
compnurd

Quote:
As Stated many times, ALL of the Premieres have the same CPU, Motherboard and RAM. The Elite is the same as the regular premiere.

At this point, there is nothing to suggest this is anything different

The tuners are probably the same as the Elite, but it was noted those were different than the regular premiere
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #39
MeInDallas

The regular Premiere does indeed have a different motherboard, power supply, and tuners from the Elite/XL4. All one has to do is get them side by side and look inside. See the pics below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Premiere.jpg (69.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Elite.jpg (74.1 KB, 106 views)
Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #40
jfh3

Not sure where "OTA tuners are history" came from. The Premiere 4 looks like nothing more than an Elite with a smaller hard drive. Period. Not a statement by TiVo that all future DVRs are cable only.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #41
rainwater

Quote:
I was a bit surprised to see this with the 'Elite', but with the Premiere 4, not so much. I don't think we'll ever see an OTA tuner from Tivo again, and that's just dandy with me. Since everything is pretty much 'digital' anyways, why would they do this?
I wouldn't be surprised to see the next gen hardware include OTA tuners. The problem with the 4 tuner system is there wasn't a 4 tuner system that supported OTA and cable at the time of release. Most likely that has already changed or will by the time of the next gen hardware release.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #42
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm15 View Post
I see $250 is based on a subscription plan. but pricing with no monthly obligation is available by calling tivo. has anyone done that and to find out how much it would cost? i would like to just use a existing sub and transfer it to this new model.
You can also pay lifetime, as shown on the web site.. The press release wasn't clear about that.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #43
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I'm scratching my head as to why any 4-tuner DVR would have less than 1TB installed. I know they're trying to keep costs down, but there's not a huge diff in price here for twice the storage.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #44
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I'm scratching my head as to why any 4-tuner DVR would have less than 1TB installed. I know they're trying to keep costs down, but there's not a huge diff in price here for twice the storage.
I would assume it is the same 500GB drive that is now in the Premiere and that allowed them to get some better volume pricing on the drive. If saving a few dollars makes any sense or not is debatable but lots of companies worry about pennies. with enough volume they add up fast.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #45
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I would assume it is the same 500GB drive that is now in the Premiere and that allowed them to get some better volume pricing on the drive. If saving a few dollars makes any sense or not is debatable but lots of companies worry about pennies. with enough volume they add up fast.
Plus the four tuner TiVo box for the cable company also uses a 500GB drive.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-17-2012 at 11:29 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #46
jrtroo
User

My recollection is that the current tivo hardware is capable of processing 4 tuners max, and this is just a software (and hardware?) implementation to move two tuners away from OTA to cable.

A (relatively) cheap change to keep their biggest income growth stream growing. They do need to get profitable.

I don't see Tivo leaving the OTA behind, they are unique in that market and cannot abandon it. However, unless it is growing for them as fast as cable, they will not be first in line for the new toys.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #47
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
My recollection is that the current tivo hardware is capable of processing 4 tuners max, and this is just a software (and hardware?) implementation to move two tuners away from OTA to cable.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. I think a regular Premiere has two tuners (possibly within one chip), each of which can tune either OTA or cable frequencies. Presumably the new 4-tuner models use a different tuner chip (maybe 2 per chip or maybe 4 per chip) which for some reason cannot be set to use OTA frequencies. Or maybe the decoder chip(s) those models use can't decode 8-VSB encoded signals. In any case, TiVo should be able to design in as many tuner chips (dual or quad or whatever) as they want, as long as they write the software to juggle that many program steams and as long as the hard drives can handle all the data streams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I don't see Tivo leaving the OTA behind, they are unique in that market and cannot abandon it. However, unless it is growing for them as fast as cable, they will not be first in line for the new toys.
I agree. They surely wouldn't be that foolish.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #48
mickpetey

I'm a newbie. I think I currently have the Tivo Premier 2 tuner. If I upgrade to the Premier 4 for the four tuners, and pay for service on that box would I be able to network my old Tivo just for the hard drive? So I will pay for service on the Premier 4 and have 4 tuners, then by networking my old Tivo I would have twice the HD?

I was considering waiting for the Centon Q to be released, a 6 tuner would be nice but I think a 4 tuner could get me by for now...
mickpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #49
Raver

I was hoping they would add the ability to stream from my Tivo to any computer connection and watch my shows at lunch. Why can the app on my Kindle do more than I can access via standard computer?

Theodore Roosevelt
Raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #50
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

So Premiere XL4 + Lifetime + 3 year warranty + tax is $902.67
Even for a long time Tivo user like me that is a lot of money. Particularly for a Tivo that is known to have issues with Time Warner digital cable - which is what i have.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #51
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshdog View Post
So Premiere XL4 + Lifetime + 3 year warranty + tax is $902.67
Even for a long time Tivo user like me that is a lot of money. Particularly for a Tivo that is known to have issues with Time Warner digital cable - which is what i have.
... or get the Premiere 4 + PLS + Warranty + taxes for about $700 with Lifetime discount code: PLSR. Not that $700 isn't a pretty big piece of change also, but the high resell-ability of Lifetime'd boxes can make it worthwhile.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #52
bogart

Hi--Do these 4 tuner machines require four cable cards from my provider (Fios)? That's $16 per month.

Roamio Pro
Mini X2
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:16 AM   #53
Larry M

No, only one "M" card.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #54
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
You can usually find the XL4 on sale for $350, so for the extra $100, I would get the XL4, You get the Glo Remote too which has a much better feel than the regular remote.
It's a matter of perspective. Some of us would never need that much extra space, but if the drive goes out you can't replace it with less than 2TB.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #55
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post

It's a matter of perspective. Some of us would never need that much extra space, but if the drive goes out you can't replace it with less than 2TB.
Which is fine. 2 TB drives are around $110. Not the $70 they used to be but even at $110 it's not an outrageous price. Certainly much cheaper than 250GB drives used to cost me.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #56
bogart

Thanks, Larry.

When the Premiere first came out there were many complaints about it. People said it was essentially a beta released as a finished product. Do those problems still exist?

Roamio Pro
Mini X2
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #57
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickpetey View Post
I'm a newbie. I think I currently have the Tivo Premier 2 tuner. If I upgrade to the Premier 4 for the four tuners, and pay for service on that box would I be able to network my old Tivo just for the hard drive? So I will pay for service on the Premier 4 and have 4 tuners, then by networking my old Tivo I would have twice the HD?
TiVo offers no way to use the combined hard drives automatically. If you network the TiVos, you could manually transfer recordings from one to another, but you would need paid-up subscriptions on both units to do so.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #58
Finalrinse

I have a new Premier 4 on the way, plus a new Western Digital AV-GP 2 TB SATA II Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Hard Drive - WD20EURS. $115 = $364 for both. Not saving too much over the Elite except I end up with a back-up drive including paired cable card info. Adding a Slide-Out Glo remote for $38 will bring the total price to $402. No THX certification if that matters? Like I say, the only advantage for doing it this way is a back-up drive with my paired cable card data if I have a drive failure down the road. My cable company requires a truck-roll to pair an M-card so its nice to have a back-up ready to go.
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #59
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Has anyone tried using jmfs live on an Elite/XL4? Does it work?

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #60
jjd_87

If anyone cares I pulled the trigger on a 4 over the weekend to replace my 45Hr Premiere that was destroyed in a fire earlier in the summer. Cost a little more than I wanted to pay for the Tivo+Lifetime Sub, but for 4 tuners it's worth it. (Especially since Woot canceled my Elite order two weeks ago. GRRR)
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote