TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

MOCA Questions

Thinking about a couple of MOCA adapters for my TiVo's now that I have one on Ethernet next to my router. I do have a couple of questions though.

I have a wireless gaming bridge I'm currently using with the kids Xbox, however it doesn't translate a DHCP IP address to the attached device. The solution with that bridge is a static IP for both the bridge and the Xbox. Question: Does a MOCA adapter allow the attached Ethernet device to use DHCP? Does the MOCA adapter have to get it's own IP address from the DHCP server?

Question: Has anyone used a switch in conjunction with a MOCA adapter? What type of performance do you see in these configurations?
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't have a MOCA adapter, but I do have a HomePlug setup and MOCA is based on the same basic spec. The HomePlug adapter is nothing more then a simple bridge to send Ethernet over the power wires. It does not have any interface of it's own or occupy an IP address. It's basically nothing more then an adapter that converts IP traffic to flow over a different type of wire and then converts it back at the other end.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

In my experience, the moca adapters are generally "invisible" to the network. They don't take an IP for themselves. It pretty much works as it would if the device was directly connected to the router. I couldn't say anything specifically about your xbox, bridge and router and why you're having that DHCP problem, but worst case scenario it shouldn't be any worse off.

Switches work fine in this setup too, and performance is pretty good. Moca isn't as fast as ethernet, but it's faster than your internet connection and doesn't add much to latency (something gamers might care about). Moca speed limits depend on the adapters and how complicated the coax network within the house is, but my real world speeds range from 50 to 80 mbps with a fairly complicated coax setup around a large house.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
Does a MOCA adapter allow the attached Ethernet device to use DHCP?
Yes.

Quote:
Does the MOCA adapter have to get it's own IP address from the DHCP server?
No, the adapter is invisible to the ethernet side of the network.

Quote:
Has anyone used a switch in conjunction with a MOCA adapter? What type of performance do you see in these configurations?
I have a MoCA adapter in my office, which connects to a TRENDnet TEG-S80g gigabit switch. To that switch are connected my printer/scanner, my OLED S3 TiVo, and PC. I'm obviously not getting gigabit speeds over MoCA to the rest of the home network, but I don't have any noticeable performance bottlenecks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
oosik77
TiVo Maniac

Using MOCA with a switch and it works like a champ. I have my Tivo, TV and Blu-Ray player all connected that way.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
scole250

As for speed, I used to have TWC whole house DVR and it used MoCA between all it's devices. I had 5 devices, 2 downstairs, 3 upstairs. The devices always reported speeds in excess of 200mb. I don't use MoCA for the Tivos only because I already pulled cat6 a while back and have a gigabit network.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
As for speed, I used to have TWC whole house DVR and it used MoCA between all it's devices. I had 5 devices, 2 downstairs, 3 upstairs. The devices always reported speeds in excess of 200mb. I don't use MoCA for the Tivos only because I already pulled cat6 a while back and have a gigabit network.
It reported actual throughput or a connection link of 200+mb/s?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It reported actual throughput or a connection link of 200+mb/s?
It listed all 5 boxes it on the diagnostics screen with the current connection speed. I imagine it was the raw connection link speed, which I don't think is any different than the speed reported by any other network appliance, is it?