TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Tivo Premiere constant reboot (need image) question?

So I got the GSOD followed by a constant rebooting of my 5 month old Tivo Premiere. (Bought 3/9/2012)

Trying to determine my options here.

1.)It sounds like the unit is under limited warranty. Which I think means for $49 or something they will repair it for me. Not sure if someone can confirm this or not. Not sure if that leaves me on hook for shipping?

2.) Replace hard drive. This is assuming I know the problem is the hard drive.
It sounds like GSOD and constant reboot is caused by a bad hard drive. Can anyone confirm that?

I have a 1.5TB drive sitting around anyway. I figured I could use that vs spending money getting my current tivo repaired. Here is my issue. My current Tivo is dead. So where do I get a premiere image? I have a friend with a premiere. Can I use his Tivo hard drive and load that onto my Tivo? any issues with doing that?

Thanks...
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
So I got the GSOD followed by a constant rebooting of my 5 month old Tivo Premiere. (Bought 3/9/2012)

Trying to determine my options here.

1.)It sounds like the unit is under limited warranty. Which I think means for $49 or something they will repair it for me. Not sure if someone can confirm this or not. Not sure if that leaves me on hook for shipping?

2.) Replace hard drive. This is assuming I know the problem is the hard drive.
It sounds like GSOD and constant reboot is caused by a bad hard drive. Can anyone confirm that?

I have a 1.5TB drive sitting around anyway. I figured I could use that vs spending money getting my current tivo repaired. Here is my issue. My current Tivo is dead. So where do I get a premiere image? I have a friend with a premiere. Can I use his Tivo hard drive and load that onto my Tivo? any issues with doing that?

Thanks...
The $49 TiVo replacement + your shipping cost should be open to you or you can use your friends Premiere drive to copy the image onto your 1.5Tb drive, you can't get a truncated image as of now, it takes a bit by bit copy to make up a TP drive. Another option is to purchase a drive from someone on E-Bay or Weaknees. To make your own drive go to http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?t=455968/ After making the drive you will have to do a C&D all.