TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

So You Think You Can Dance "Top 14" 8/15/12 spoilers

All Mia-Michaels night! Double elimination, so at the end of the show we'll know the top 10.

And we get NappyTabs baby pics!

I've just started to watch the show, so East Coast/Central Peeps, discuss!

I'll be back later.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Holy crap. Cole was A-MAZ-ING in that addiction routine. I loved the original, but his completely different take on it worked so well. It really was chilling, just like the judges said.
David Platt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Holy crap. Cole was A-MAZ-ING in that addiction routine. I loved the original, but his completely different take on it worked so well. It really was chilling, just like the judges said.
Yep. In an ideal situation, two strong performances can stand side-by-side, almost as if they were two different pieces of choreography.

Cole's performance was the only one that stood up to the originals.

Everybody else augered into the side of Mt. Michaels.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I did not care for reprising old routines- at all.

I understand the concept of various dancers taking on one role but in this case I felt everyone except Cole fell very short of inhabiting a character or "making it their own." And I was confused because I couldn't decide if everyone was really doing that poorly or if I had some sort of emotional attachment to the originals that was influencing how I saw things.
The bench routine is one of my very all time favorites and it was so flat and so disappointing (especially since Chehon is my favorite guy) that I thought it had to be me. I could say that about all the routines.

And to lose Amelia on top of all this disappointment really made it a bummer of an episode. I'd rather be disappointed by something new than to spoil something I loved in the past. I think they did a Mia night simply to appease her and get her back or something equally hinky and I did not enjoy it.

Hope tonight's rewatch sees me reversing my opinion- that often happens and believe me, no one will be happier than me if it does.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
mooseAndSquirrel

I didn't think I much cared for Mia Michaels' choreography, and was surprised at how many of these were my favorites. The door; the bed; and most of all the addiction one.

So while that was a nice surprise, I did not care for this format at all. I get Nigel's point, that choreography isn't normally for a specific dancer. But this choreography kind of is. Twitchington is a tough act to emulate! They had chemistry.

I do agree that the martial arts guy's performance was the best. He seemed disinterested and languid - like it was so easy to enthrall this poor woman it was almost boring. So he played it like a psychopath, which I found brilliant. It also doesn't hurt that I absolutely love that Sarah Bareilles song and it is the perfect song for that dance.

Hopefully we won't get a night of just Mohawk lady's choreography. She's done maybe 1 or 2 that I like, but most of it all looks the same.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I understand the concept of various dancers taking on one role but in this case I felt everyone except Cole fell very short of inhabiting a character or "making it their own." And I was confused because I couldn't decide if everyone was really doing that poorly or if I had some sort of emotional attachment to the originals that was influencing how I saw things.
A lot of us who do have favorite routines do have an emotional attachment to the originals (otherwise, we couldn't call them our favorites).

I thought Nigel was smart in a couple of ways -- first, making the speech at the top of the show about that very issue, and two, stacking the panel with two guest judges who had not seen the originals, so the new kids had fresh eyes to judge their dancing.

And I quickly realized that a great many of my favorite Mia routines were not going to be in this show, because many of them are either group numbers, or the two-guy / two-girl numbers.

So I'm thinking, well, maybe this is a good thing, because if most of the numbers are the ones that made me go meh instead of pulling out my hanky, I won't have so much of the problem that Nigel was talking about.

Maybe the new kids will have a chance of taking on this choreography, and maybe someone will surprise me, and I'll like some of these numbers as well as I did with the originals -- or maybe I'll understand why everybody was raving about them when I was sort of meh on them.

But no. Because I've been thinking since season six that while they keep telling us that the dancers are technically better than ever, and I have new likeable auditions coming at me all the time, somehow the memory of the old performances are more satisfying, and with a few exceptions (hello Alex Wong and Twitch) I am not acquiring new favorite numbers at anywhere near the rate I did in the first five seasons.

I know what Nigel wanted. He's up against the fact that dancers can't dance forever, and that the very nature of the show is to launch his Stars into new careers, so if he wants the Door routine to be on tour, eventually someone else will have to dance it. And of course you want to keep your BEST choreography in the rotation, not the weak stuff. So I got why he did it. Absolutely, I got it.

What last night proved -- despite the whole 'we're all attached to the originals' problem -- is that the older kids did indeed have performance quality that the new kids can't bring, at least in their couples work. Except for Cole, who blew everybody else off the stage.

They just weren't strong performances.

I felt especially sorry for Cheon, because OMG, having to follow Travis in that number. And Cheon isn't one of the guys where you can look at him and say, visually, they're casting for the physical type that Travis is.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-16-2012 at 09:55 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Also the fact that the pieces were first designed for specific dancers and played to their strengths and weaknesses.
Despite them blatantly matching the physical qualities of the various dancers to the originals their strengths and weaknesses are not the same and it showed.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Cainebj

I'm guessing that the Mia night was to get her back on the show in a limited time frame.

Rather than being there every week or every other week she was able to come in for a week (or 2) given the amount of choreography and the Olympics break.

I agree with what everyone said including that Cole was the stand out of the night.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

For the most part I liked the original performances much better.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Two things surprised me.

First, they didn't announce who the All Stars are going to be, even though they will be appearing next week. (The Fox press release site also doesn't list them, so maybe they're not sure yet - for example, they're working out a deal with somebody contracted for DWTS.)

Second, I thought for sure that when they announced that Amelia was eliminated, Nigel was going to tell her, "I'm going to discuss with the producers the possibility of (i.e. I'm going to tell the other producers to) including you as the 11th dancer on the tour." I think her solo routines have a sizable following with the fan base. There's always the possibility of Amelia - in fact, any of the top 20 - being included in parts of the tour, but they never give much advance notice when this happens.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
Jayjoans

I watch this show because I'm outvoted by a wife and daughter. They put up with my Dog the Bounty Hunter, I put up with their SYTYCD.

I'm not a dance appreciator, I don't love to watch people dance things that could be much easier and more quickly stated using words. These are not my favorite TV nights.

That being said, I find myself even years later thinking of that bench dance with Travis. When I see him on the TV I remember that dance and think he's a cool guy. I'm happy that he parlayed his time on this show into a career doing what he loves to do. Good for him.

The guy that did it last night, not so much. I guess this is the beginning of an old crotchety guy like me seeing the difference between good dancing and just dancing. Whatever.....hey, how 'bout those 49ers...?
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjoans View Post
I'm not a dance appreciator
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
etexlady

I found the show rather boring. Every routine was contemporary dance and I like to see a little variety. Of course the routines were "classic" Mia but too much of a good thing. My most favorite routine I've ever seen on SYTYCD is the table or desk routine performed by Sabra, the eventual winner, and her hunky partner whose name I cannot remember. Wonder what ever happened to Sabra?
etexlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by etexlady View Post
Wonder what ever happened to Sabra?
According to Wikipedia (so who knows how accurate it is), she's concentrating more on teaching dance than performing.

Besides - whatever happened to all of the other SYTYCD winners? How many finalists, much less winners, would many people recognize - and of those, how many would be known as something other than "(insert a name here)'s partner on Dancing with the Stars"?
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #15
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I see past contestants all the time in music videos, as dancers for pop music acts, or working as assistants to choreographers on SYTYCD- they even pop up on DWTS in rehearsal videos sometimes.
And if you watch shows like All the Right Moves or A Chance To Dance or any of the Dance Crew things you see many of them.
If you read about dance in theater you see names as well.

I would assume that making a living working as a dancer or choreographer or instructor is living the dream for most of them. Just because they are not a household name or being chased around by paparazzi doesn't mean they aren't successful.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

IMO the original idea of the show was to give dancers a taste of working outside their chosen genres, so they would train in more than one style, and then could get more work. Obviously the very best dancers can make it in their own worlds, but what are the rest supposed to do?

It helps to shake them up early -- otherwise they become like the designers on Project Runway that can only do one thing (or as one of the designers called it this season, a "one-way monkey").

Look at all the people who audition for the show who have never tried to take on someone else's choreography. Obviously if you are going to work as a professional dancer, that's the #1 skill you need.

No matter how good you are as a dancer, if you can't learn someone else's choreography and do it, and learn it in a hurry, no one will be able to use you.

Edited to add: and if someone trains in more styles in an attempt to make it on the show, but they never make the top 20, they're still better trained than they were before, and will be better dancers, thus increasing the chance they will get a job. So the real benefit of the show is to raise the standards of the pool of available dancers for all professional work -- whatever that work may be.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 08-20-2012 at 10:17 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote