TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #3601
lpwcomp

I guess it's only partial success, but using a slightly modified pyTivo and after adding programId to some of my metadata files, I have Season and Episode displaying in the HDUI. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work. The programId gets to the TiVo but it doesn't change anything. It doesn't cause a problem, I just don't always get the Season and Episode displayed. I have no idea why this is so.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #3602
lpwcomp

I'm disappointed that apparently whatever database the TiVo uses doesn't have access to data for every series, much less every episode, at least not when it is setting Season Number and Episode Number. I almost gave up when the first one I tried didn't work but I decided to try an episode from different season and it worked.

It's doubly disappointing since the information is available to the TiVo for any series that is available to the TiVo. (Search->Episodes->Show All Episodes). It's also available on zap2it, even for series not available to the TiVo.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #3603
lpwcomp

Ok. I have tested both the programId (to get Season and Episode numbers) and re-enabling grouping on an arbitrary or inactive seriesId. Neither caused any problems on my TiVo 2, THD, or TP.

There is one unfortunate aspect to the "invalid" groups however. They are only named in the HDUI. In the SDUI, you end up with a group with just "(n)" as the name, where n is the number of recordings in the group. Since this change also results in grouping on a THD, you get the effect on that platform also.

Unless someone can think of a way to rectify this situation, my thinking would be to have a setting in each TiVo section to control the generation of the full <vActualShowing> section, the default being not to, but I am not sure of the best way to implement it - two different TvBus templates or a conditional in the template.

Cross-posted in the pyTivo forum.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #3604
bwall23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Ok. I have tested both the programId (to get Season and Episode numbers) and re-enabling grouping on an arbitrary or inactive seriesId. Neither caused any problems on my TiVo 2, THD, or TP.

There is one unfortunate aspect to the "invalid" groups however. They are only named in the HDUI. In the SDUI, you end up with a group with just "(n)" as the name, where n is the number of recordings in the group. Since this change also results in grouping on a THD, you get the effect on that platform also.

Unless someone can think of a way to rectify this situation, my thinking would be to have a setting in each TiVo section to control the generation of the full <vActualShowing> section, the default being not to, but I am not sure of the best way to implement it - two different TvBus templates or a conditional in the template.

Cross-posted in the pyTivo forum.
I would also like to have programId in the metadata and displayed for those episodes that didn't get tagged with the episodeNumber when recorded, since that's Tribune Media's sequential episode number.

Curious why you mention <vActualShowing> ?
I thought the TiVo used the <showing> section, which displays only the recording of interest you selected.
Try recording a program and pad a minute before and after. You will get three elements in <vActualShowing>;
1) the program before the recorded show (1 min. early pad)
2) the recorded show of interest
3) the program after the show you selected (1 min. late pad)
Only one element in <showing>, #2 above.
bwall23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #3605
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post
ICurious why you mention <vActualShowing> ?
I thought the TiVo used the <showing> section, which displays only the recording of interest you selected.
Try recording a program and pad a minute before and after. You will get three elements in <vActualShowing>;
1) the program before the recorded show (1 min. early pad)
2) the recorded show of interest
3) the program after the show you selected (1 min. late pad)
Only one element in <showing>, #2 above.
Different issue. I thought that through experimentation I had found that sending a full <vActualShowing> section, the Premiere would once again group on an arbitrary or inactive seriesId as it used to, but now I'm not sure. A couple of shows I had not previously xferred would not group on an inactive seriesId but a show I had previously xferred continued to group on a completely made up seriesId. Color me completely

BTW, these are all Pulls.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 08-13-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #3606
bwall23

Quote:
Different issue. I thought that through experimentation I had found that sending a full <vActualShowing> section, the Premiere would once again group on an arbitrary or inactive seriesId as it used to, but now I'm not sure. A couple of shows I had not previously xferred would not group on an inactive seriesId but a show I had previously xferred continued to group on a completely made up seriesId. Color me completely

BTW, these are all Pulls.
I thought pulls would only group on their valid (TMS)seriesId [SH + 6# or 8#] if the series had an episode within the current 14 day guide.

I have never seen my pushed and pulled series group into the same folder on the TiVo (HD or Premiere). I put that on the back burner as I found too much conflicting info in my searches and none of it worked for me. My issue now is with missing epTitles or ep#'s and I know that TMS is TiVo's data provider, but I gave up on them ever keeping 100% current on everything. I do keep the metadata files along with the TTG transfers and the programId is in them, so eventually...
Old 08-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #3607
lpwcomp

Quote:
I thought pulls would only group on their valid (TMS)seriesId [SH + 6# or 8#] if the series had an episode within the current 14 day guide.
Pulls have been grouping on a Premiere on an arbitrary or inactive seriesId at least as long as I've had one (Feb. 2011). It works even now sometimes, even to the extent of not working on a series and then it will later. Tonight I had one that wasn't working. I changed the order of title and seriesTitle and it worked. Tried that on a different series and it didn't work. There is something odd going on that I haven't yet been able to figure out.

Quote:
I have never seen my pushed and pulled series group into the same folder on the TiVo (HD or Premiere). I put that on the back burner as I found too much conflicting info in my searches and none of it worked for me. My issue now is with missing epTitles or ep#'s and I know that TMS is TiVo's data provider, but I gave up on them ever keeping 100% current on everything. I do keep the metadata files along with the TTG transfers and the programId is in them, so eventually...
The seriesId associated with a Pushed file is created by tivo.mind. I tried using that as a series ID for a pull and it didn't group. Like I said, there is something odd going on.

What are you using to create the metadata file? The release versions of neither pyTivo nor kmttg put programId in the metadata .txt file.

Getting season and episode numbers using the programId is fairly easy vi zap2it, even automatically using a program. Going the other direction is a bit more problematic unless it is the most recent season. You can do it by hand w/o much effort. Getting a program to do it is something else again, at least in python. Or it may be just that I don't know enough about web navigation to do it and believe me, I tried. I'll probably give it another shot at some point, especially now that I have confirmed that the HDUI gets Season and Episode Numbers using programId, but I want to get this grouping thing straightened out first.

BTW, it's not Tribune that only keeps episode data for a limited time, it is TiVo.

I asked the TVDB people to add zap2it episode ID to the episode record but never got a response.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #3608
lpwcomp

On a hunch, I disabled my internet access (brute force. Unplugged the phone line). The Premiere was very unhappy, as I knew it would be, but I was able to get grouping of a series using a made up seriesId that wasn't grouping before.

Here is my current theory: When pulling a show, a Premiere first checks it's local database (I'm not talking about the guide data). If it find it there, it is stored with the recording data (and added to local db). If not, it checks the TiVo servers. If it is valid or for some reason it cannot contact the servers, it does the same. If it is invalid, it is not stored with the program record.

Now if I could just figure out how to temporarily disable access to the servers for the first episode of an invalid seriesId just long enough for it to be added to the local db...

One other little gotcha - pyTivo cannot access these groups via the web interface. You just get unnamed "folders" that cannot be opened.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #3609
lpwcomp

I'm starting to think there is a malicious code demon in my TiVo that is modifying the software. Every time I think I have found a method to re-enable arbitrary grouping on the Premiere, I am unable to re-create it. Tried the "kill internet access" method on a different series and no joy. I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #3610
bwall23

Quote:
The seriesId associated with a Pushed file is created by tivo.mind.
Yes, was aware of that and we don't know what the mind really uses from the metadata.

Quote:
What are you using to create the metadata file? The release versions of neither pyTivo nor kmttg put programId in the metadata .txt file.
I've been using kmttg and transfer the tivo file w/o decrypting and use a custom script to extract the the two xml chunks from it. Same data (almost) is available from the tivo's npl and video details. I have to hand edit my pytivo metadata files videofilename.ext.txt. I also use vidmgr which allows even non-standard metadata, but want to convert (decrypt) my .tivo file library to .mpg and create accurate .txt metatdata. I've kept them in .tivo format for two reasons;
1) smaller than decrypted mpg
2) retains the metadata in the xml chunks

Last edited by bwall23 : 08-16-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #3611
bwall23

Quote:
I'm starting to think there is a malicious code demon in my TiVo that is modifying the software. Every time I think I have found a method to re-enable arbitrary grouping on the Premiere, I am unable to re-create it. Tried the "kill internet access" method on a different series and no joy. I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.
Yes lpwcomp, we R watching U as you know from your logs
Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #3612
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yes lpwcomp, we R watching U as you know from your logs
I'm not paranoid, but I know everyone thinls I am.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #3613
lpwcomp

I have discovered that the Premiere uses the programId (if present and in whatever db the TiVo accesses) to set pretty much all of the metadata, including fields seen only in the SDUI like the whole number episodeNumber.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #3614
lrhorer

Quote:
I'm not paranoid, but I know everyone thinls I am.
I went to a therapist because I thought everyone was out to get me. At first he thought I was paranoid, but then he realized I am just an insufferable jerk, and everyone really is out to get me. He now requires payment in advance.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #3615
bwall23

Cool

Quote:
I have discovered that the Premiere uses the programId (if present and in whatever db the TiVo accesses) to set pretty much all of the metadata, including fields seen only in the SDUI like the whole number episodeNumber.
Thanks for the confirmation. Since i use kmttg, I've asked if it can be added as an option to add the programId to the metadata file that kmttg creates.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #3616
lpwcomp

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. Since i use kmttg, I've asked if it can be added as an option to add the programId to the metadata file that kmttg creates.
There is a caveat however. It does use it as I said - when it uses it. It doesn't always use it it all, just stores it in the metadata. I am unable to determine what conditions lead to it's use. It gets used for some episodes of a series and not for other episodes of the same series.

It's possible that the value I am using is not always the same one that TiVo uses but my source is zap2it(Tribune), so theoretically it should be the same.

Happily though, if it doesn't use the programId, it simply behaves as before and uses the metadata it is sent.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #3617
lrhorer

OK, I seem to have run across a bit of an issue, and I think I know what triggers it, but not entirely why.

I have been converting a few 1080p .mkv files to h.264 in a .mp4 container for transfer to the TiVo. Even with six cores running flat out, it takes several hours to convert a 90 minute movie. During that entire time, there is no MOOV atom in the file, since that is created at the very end. Earlier today, I tried to bring up a directory containing one of these incomplete files in the web tool, and pyTivo hung. I was not sure what the issue was at the time, but clearing out the files from the directory alleviated the issue. I wasn't sure - and I still am not 100% certain - what was causing the issue, but while converting another file tonight, the problem popped up again. I'll try again in the morning when the currently re-coding file is done to make sure my deduction is correct.

Edit: Confirmed the app is able to scan the directory after the file is finished recoding. It looks like perhaps the absence of the MOOV atom on one file prevents the app from completing its scanning the entire directory. Since it takes several hours for the recode to complete, this is most inconvenient.

Last edited by lrhorer : 09-01-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #3618
bluefoggyday

Red face Terminal Idiot

Hi....

My apologies for being so ignorant about this stuff. I've been using Vuze to upload videos to my Premiere TiVo for some time with much success. Now all of a sudden, I don't even have a TiVo option in Vuze at all.

So I decided to try and use pyTivo. After much trial and error, it seems to be running. But I don't know what to do now. When I go to localhost:9032, I get a blank page with pyTivo at the top and then a link to web configuration.

I don't know where to go from here....the instructions seem to just end after the install.

When I look in Terminal (which I assume must be running to use pyTivo), it seems to be running this over and over:

INFOyTivo:10.0.1.105 [01/Sep/2012 19:34:13] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -
INFOyTivo:10.0.1.124 [01/Sep/2012 19:34:14] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -

Would someone be interested in helping me or pointing me to some pyTivo for Dummies instructions?!

Thanks!

Oh...I'm on a mac using Lion.
bluefoggyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #3619
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoggyday View Post
My apologies for being so ignorant about this stuff.
No need to apologize. All of us were ignorant until we learned something.

Quote:
So I decided to try and use pyTivo. After much trial and error, it seems to be running. But I don't know what to do now. When I go to localhost:9032, I get a blank page with pyTivo at the top and then a link to web configuration.
It sounds like you haven't configured pyTivo. To do that effectively, you are going to need to define for yourself how you wish to use pyTivo. Do you want to:

1. Transfer still pictures
2. Transfer music
3. Transfer videos to the TiVo via pull (using the My Shows / NPL on the TiVo)
4. Transfer videos to the TiVo via push (using an HME or external utility)
5. Transfer videos from the TiVo to the PC
6. Transfer DVD rips to the TiVo

At a bare minimum, you will need to provide your MAK and define at least one share. Both of these can be done by pulling up the web configuration.

If you choose to implement #4, then you will also need to supply the user name and password you use to access your account on www.tivo.com.

If you choose to implement #5, then you will need to also supply a path on the PC where pyTivo will be saving the videos.

Option #6 requires installing the DVD Plug-in.

Again, all of this except installing the DVD plug-in can be done right from the web configurator, or you can edit pyTivo.conf by hand.

Quote:
When I look in Terminal (which I assume must be running to use pyTivo)
No, but until you get pyTivo up and running, it will be easier to troubleshoot that way. Once pyTivo is working properly, then you can take steps to run it in the background and to start up automatically.

Quote:
INFOyTivo:10.0.1.105 [01/Sep/2012 19:34:13] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -
INFOyTivo:10.0.1.124 [01/Sep/2012 19:34:14] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
OK, first a little request / piece of advice. It will be much easier for us to read what you supply us if you surround pasted text with code tags (the little # symbol in the reply toolbar):

Code:
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.1.105 [01/Sep/2012 19:34:13] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F&DoGenres=1 HTTP/1.0" 200 -
INFO:pyTivo:10.0.1.124 [01/Sep/2012 19:34:14] "GET /TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=%2F HTTP/1.0" 200 -
Are you really using the 10./24 subnet for your home LAN? Unusual.

Anyway, it looks like pyTivo is finding two TiVos on your LAN. That's good. If you have all the appropriate passwords and paths set up for the general pyTivo configuration, then you can set up the configuration (if any) for SD and / or HD TiVos. You probably don't need any. After that, configure one share for each group of files you want to transfer to the TiVos. You will need at least one share for each type of file you want to transfer (photos, music, video, or dvdvideo). You can configure more than one share of each type, with each share specifying a different path on the server PC. Read through the pyTivo.conf.dist file for details. As an example, here is my pyTivo.conf file (with passwords removed, of course):

Code:
[_tivo_00000DEADBEEF]

[Server]
tivo_username = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
tivo_password = XXXXXXX
tivo_mak = XXXXXXXXX
ffmpeg = /usr/bin/ffmpeg
ffmpeg_pram = -threads 3
togo_path = /RAID/Server-Main/Movies/TiVo_TS
debug = True
port = 9032

[_tivo_HD]
audio_lang = en, eng, 0x80, 5.1, ac3

[_tivo_SD]
audio_lang = en, eng, 0x80, 5.1, ac3

[RAID Server]
force_alpha = True
type = video
path = /RAID/Recordings

[DVD]
path = /RAID/DVD
force_alpha = True
type = dvdvideo
fast_index = true

[TTG]
force_alpha = True
type = video
path = /RAID/Server-Main/Movies/TiVo_MPG

[pyMusic]
type = music
path = /RAID/Music

[Unverified]
type = video
path = /usr/share/pyTivo/Unverified

Old 09-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #3620
lrhorer

OK, I ran into another apparent issue. I have a video named "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Recorded Fri Aug 31, 2012, HDNETMV).mp4" that I tried to push to the TiVos. I tried several times using two different TiVos, but the transfer never started. I got no error, and the negotiation with the mind server seemed to work OK, but the transfer never occurred. I tried it both on a Premier and and S3. Vidmgr was able to push the file with no problems, but the web server never did. Is it perhaps the comma in the title causing the issue for the web server?

Edit: Well, so it would seem. I removed the comma from the first number in the name, re-created the link and it transferred just fine. 'Weird that the other commas don't affect the transfer.

Last edited by lrhorer : 09-02-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #3621
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
OK, I ran into another apparent issue. I have a video named "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Recorded Fri Aug 31, 2012, HDNETMV).mp4" that I tried to push to the TiVos. I tried several times using two different TiVos, but the transfer never started. I got no error, and the negotiation with the mind server seemed to work OK, but the transfer never occurred. I tried it both on a Premier and and S3. Vidmgr was able to push the file with no problems, but the web server never did. Is it perhaps the comma in the title causing the issue for the web server?

Edit: Well, so it would seem. I removed the comma from the first number in the name, re-created the link and it transferred just fine. 'Weird that the other commas don't affect the transfer.
Do the "Queued" messages look the same?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #3622
lrhorer

Quote:
Do the "Queued" messages look the same?
Well, I think so. This is weird. Last night I could not get the title to transfer despite several attempts. Nothing in the log jumped out at me. I changed the name by removing the comma, and it worked. Today, in response to your question, I cleared the log, renamed the video, adding back the comma, and attempted to transfer the video again. This time it worked. Oy.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #3623
bwall23

programId

Having a problem trying to get the programId from a .tivo file added to metadata to be displayed by pyTiVo. I'm able to get it to display programId on a TVBusQuery after modifying TvBus.tmpl and metadata.py, but the parsing being done by metadata.py is picking up the seriedId value for the programId. Not quite sure how the xml dom parsing is being done.

i.e. seriesId and programId are both displaying the seriesId on the TVBusQuery.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #3624
lpwcomp

Quote:
Having a problem trying to get the programId from a .tivo file added to metadata to be displayed by pyTiVo. I'm able to get it to display programId on a TVBusQuery after modifying TvBus.tmpl and metadata.py, but the parsing being done by metadata.py is picking up the seriedId value for the programId. Not quite sure how the xml dom parsing is being done.

i.e. seriesId and programId are both displaying the seriesId on the TVBusQuery.
How did you add it to metadata.py? to keys, you need to add
Code:
'programId': 'ProgramId',
and to items, you need to add
Code:
'programId': 'program/uniqueId',

Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #3625
bwall23

Quote:
How did you add it to metadata.py? to keys, you need to add
Code:
and to items, you need to add
Code:
Added to keys in from_container
Code:
Added to items in from_details
Code:
running metadata.py as __main__ also shows programId is picking up the value for seriesId. Must be the dom xml parsing is not returning the <program> node uniqueId value, but instead the first one it sees in all of <showing>, which is the <series> node uniqueId.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #3626
lpwcomp

Quote:
Added to keys in from_container
Code:
Added to items in from_details
Code:
running metadata.py as __main__ also shows programId is picking up the value for seriesId. Must be the dom xml parsing is not returning the <program> node uniqueId value, but instead the first one it sees in all of <showing>, which is the <series> node uniqueId.
I thought I tested it and it worked correctly but if it is indeed doing that, it means that it is probably doing an element search rather than a child node search, which is the same situation I encountered in kmttg. I'll take a another look at it when I get back to my own machine.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #3627
moyekj

Quote:
I thought I tested it and it worked correctly but if it is indeed doing that, it means that it is probably doing an element search rather than a child node search, which is the same situation I encountered in kmttg. I'll take a another look at it when I get back to my own machine.
FYI with my update kmttg now looks specifically under fixed nodes for the values so there is no amibiguity:
programId = value(<showing><program><uniqueId>) if it exists
seriesId = value(<showing><program><series><uniqueId>) if it exists

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #3628
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI with my update kmttg now looks specifically under fixed nodes for the values so there is no amibiguity:
programId = value(<showing><program><uniqueId>) if it exists
seriesId = value(<showing><program><series><uniqueId>) if it exists
I don't doubt it. I was just saying that when I first went to modify kmttg to get the programId, I tried just adding a get element by name from the program node and it returned the series uniqueid. No offense intended.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #3629
HerronScott

WMA Lossless support in ffmpeg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
No audio when playing the WMA files is the symptom but the TiVo thinks it's playing them. Issue still appears to be WMA lossless support with ffmpeg. I thought I had read where the latest version supported it but apparently not as I'm getting something like the following:

Decoder (codec id 86057) not found for input stream #0.0

Scott
In case anyone else was looking for this, they have added WMA Lossless support to ffmpeg as of version 0.11 back in May of this year.

I copied this latest build into my pyTivo install on WHS and it appears to be working!

Scott
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #3630
lpwcomp

I started with a fresh install of pyTivo. As expected, the programId was not sent to the TiVo when a non .tivo recording was pulled by the TiVo from the PC. I then edited plugins/video/templates/TvBus.tmpl and added the three lines necessary for sending programId as the <program><uniqueId>. Pulled the recording again and programId was sent to the TiVo.

A recording pulled to the PC from the TiVo using the pyTivo web interface with the "save metadate to .txt" option check did not get the programId in the metadata file. I then edited metadata.py, restarted pyTivo, and this time the pull to the PC did get the programId written to the metadata file.