TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Aero 1

Apple Wins Major Apple TV Patent Relating to Cable TV and DVR

interesting....

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...-cable-tv.html

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

The unique part of this appears to be that a Picture in Picture preview of what is playing on the other station displays as you move through the guide while also allowing you to see the channel currently tuned in. Someone using a TiVo with the HDUI needs to chime in with info as to whether that's on the newer premiere boxes or not.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
DirecTV DVRs have shown "picture in guide" for many years.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
DirecTV DVRs have shown "picture in guide" for many years.
Yeah, I figured it was prior art. Wondering what Apple's angle is to get a patent on this type of tech? If you believe the fanbois they are trying to get a patent on existing things and then take everyone in sight to court for copying them.
180hr S2

Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
hefe
Rebus Philbin

There better be some actual innovation or non-obvious implementation beyond what that article shows, or this is just another BS idea patent that depends very heavily on prior art as well as existing implementations...even for 2006 when it was filed.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
There better be some actual innovation or non-obvious implementation beyond what that article shows, or this is just another BS idea patent that depends very heavily on prior art as well as existing implementations...even for 2006 when it was filed.
2006. Wow. Certainly no TiVo used PIP for guide display then. Maybe some PC/Tuner card applications. Be just like Apple to patent something obvious and then go after everyone that implemented it during or after the application date.

I'm starting to think Apple is becoming a patent troll. You'd think they would have tried to implement in the past 6 years.
180hr S2

Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
2006. Wow. Certainly no TiVo used PIP for guide display then. Maybe some PC/Tuner card applications. Be just like Apple to patent something obvious and then go after everyone that implemented it during or after the application date.

I'm starting to think Apple is becoming a patent troll. You'd think they would have tried to implement in the past 6 years.
A quick search shows that the Dish Network 522 DVR Receiver from 2005 had picture in picture and pictures in the menu screens. And I know other devices generated on screen controls. So yeah, there needs to be a lot more to the patent...

Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Figure 21 is a copy of the "grid-style" guide DirecTV, DISH and most everyone else has been using since before 2006. Figure 31 looks an awful lot like the TiVo guide ca 1999. Too bad the article did not include the patent numbers.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Aero 1

Quote:
A quick search shows that the Dish Network 522 DVR Receiver from 2005 had picture in picture and pictures in the menu screens. And I know other devices generated on screen controls. So yeah, there needs to be a lot more to the patent...
cablevision SA boxes had that also in the early 00's

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
If the image I found is accurate, the guide only shows what's on the other channel and doesn't let you see the current channel on screen.
180hr S2

Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
If the image I found is accurate, the guide only shows what's on the other channel and doesn't let you see the current channel on screen.
Well there you go...nobody could have envisioned that! Now that's an invention!

/sarcasm directed at the patent office, not you

Still, I'm not sure it's limited like that from the pics I saw, but that's only the first device I found on the first search...

Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I hate legal blogs - and other news stories - that report on something and don't link to the original document. It's horrible. I will always link to the original document in my blog so people can read for themselves.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/8243017
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I hate legal blogs - and other news stories - that report on something and don't link to the original document. It's horrible. I will always link to the original document in my blog so people can read for themselves.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...&RS=PN/8243017
Ironic that you need Apple QuickTime to view the images on the Patent Office website

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
spidershowl11

It is really surprising to know that Apple's patent was filed in 2006 and it took so long to be waiting on a patent. More surprising was that Apple has iPhone patents going back to 1999 and the iPhone launched in 2007.
spidershowl11 is offline   Reply With Quote