TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Hcour

Should I Stick with American Horror Story?

Watched the first ep today. It was kind of all over the place. Not sure if I'm going to stick with it. Does this show eventually go somewhere satisfying, somewhere that makes some sense, or is it just a bunch of Lost-like bits and pieces that never actually add up to anything?
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

If you were not thoroughly entertained by that amazingly good first episode then maybe this is not for you.
It goes somewhere but not everyone found it 100% satisfying.
Not exactly like Lost IMO but not 180º difference by any means.

Hard to discuss without giving up spoilers as it's been so long since I saw it.
Weord, wacky, and Jessica Lange is a National Treasure.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I've only see the latter 2/3 of the first season of American Horror Story. It was enough to keep me interested.

They tie up the story line for the most part. It is weird and wacky. Mostly it is worth watching for the performance of the cast, which is stellar. Darkly funny at times, frightening and creepy at other times.

I never watched Lost, so I can't really compare.

If you are looking at it as a mystery that ties up everything in a bow at the end of the season, you won't get that. But the storyline concludes in the same way a campfire ghost story might conclude. I found it satisfying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Howie
Out of Pocket

I'd stick with it, definitely.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Dignan
_

Worth it. I call it Mean David Lynch. The title sequence is a favorite.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Stick with it. Go back to the threads for the series, a lot of us were intrigued but confused by the first episode, but by the 2nd or 3rd, things started to tie together and worked amazingly well.

I saw it as a horror movie that happened to be a season long.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Well, I loved it but the season is definitely a hot mess. If you're looking for cool, calculating plotlines and everything wrapped up neatly it may not be for you. But if you're looking for a lot of spooky and serious scenery chewing by great actors, stick with it.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
awsnyde

The main TV Guide critic hated it, and I mean HATED it. He still gets in digs whenever he can. However, while I usually find him the TV critic whose tastes most closely align to mine (among other things, he too was a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan), he is completely wrong on this one.

I thought it was exceptional, and even literary at times (without being boringly literary). It definitely gets better as the season goes along too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
The title sequence is a favorite.
Yes, I usually fast forward through title sequences--with True Blood and Treme being exceptions because of their great music--but AHS has great music and super-creepy visuals.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
danterner
Not it!

This turned out to be one of my favorite new shows of the season. While I recall the first episode feeling "all over the place," it really isn't quite as disjointed as it may seem at first blush. The show is faithful to its own logic. It's just the logic of a lunatic. It's a VERY entertaining ride if you decide to stick with it, with lots of "oh no they didn't!" moments along the way.
| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

^^ That's a very good description of the show
Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
nyny523
Oy

Hmmm...timely thread.

I watched the first episode when it aired and have the remainder of the season stockpiled on my Tivo.

I have been considering just deleting it - I figure if I haven't been interested enough to watch it in all this time, maybe I am just not interested. I found the first episode kinda weird for my taste.

Based on the comments here, I am now wondering if I should give it another shot...
Old 08-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Well, it really doesn't get any less weird...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Hmmm...timely thread.

I watched the first episode when it aired and have the remainder of the season stockpiled on my Tivo.

I have been considering just deleting it - I figure if I haven't been interested enough to watch it in all this time, maybe I am just not interested. I found the first episode kinda weird for my taste.

Based on the comments here, I am now wondering if I should give it another shot...
I have the season saved, too. I plan to get around to it, but just got sidelined by all the other stuff on this summer. Used to be summer TV viewing was horrible, and I needed to keep something around to watch, but there has been so much on this year that I've just not had time for AHS.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
Alfer
WOOSAH!

We now have the FX channel. Any chance they will repeat Season 1 or do I have to find it for rent somewhere?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Just guessing but they often rerun the first season as a lead in to the second.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Worth it. I call it Mean David Lynch. The title sequence is a favorite.
Wow, you may have killed it right there for me. I never liked Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet or Wild At Heart, etc.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Just guessing but they often rerun the first season as a lead in to the second.
That's my hope.

But like Maui, I too disliked the Twin Peaks and similar movies/shows he mentioned, but I'll give this one a shot.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #18
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Wow, you may have killed it right there for me. I never liked Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet or Wild At Heart, etc.
Then you clearly have not experienced "Eraserhead".

I found "American Horror Story" to be creepy, compelling, and intriguing. Looking forward to Season 2 ...

getreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
Dignan
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Ahk, please don't let that stop you from viewing. I see David Lynch in a lot of places, mostly the influence on visual style and strangeness. Lynch isn't for everyone, and this series certainly is not as well. But let's just say it is strange and beautiful and creepy and dark, no association with anyone....
Old 08-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Ahk, please don't let that stop you from viewing. I see David Lynch in a lot of places, mostly the influence on visual style and strangeness. Lynch isn't for everyone, and this series certainly is not as well. But let's just say it is strange and beautiful and creepy and dark, no association with anyone....
I actually would like to give it a try. I just need to figure out how.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

It was way more coherent than anything David Lynch has ever done. It seems completely random and nothing more than a collection of scary moments at first, but over time the writing tightens up and it all more or less falls within an internally consistent logic. I liked it quite a bit and would recommend sticking with it, UNLESS you aren't going to be ok with what they are doing season to season.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #22
Dignan
_

I totally agree about the logic and Lynch. I was really talking more aesthetics like the appearance and behavior of the characters.

The title sequence deserves more attention beyond the atmosphere it creates.