TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #661
mattack

So, I saw a brief mention of there being a DVD of the opening ceremony. (I still am vaguely interested in a DVD of the Beijing Opening Ceremony.. that was literally awesome.)

I wonder if they'll do one of the closing ceremony.. including the bits we missed! Skip the lip syncers, and I'd pay a couple of bucks for the performances. (I realize a DVD would actually be more than that.. But they'd get SOME money out of me for a cheap one.)

Hmm, I see the Beijing opening ceremonies DVD for $16.44 on ebay.. I wonder if those are legit. Still, that's more than I'd pay.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #662
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
My biggest problem with NBC was editorial. During the opening ceremony, they cut material not because of commercials but to air an interview with Ryan Seacrest Michael Phelps.

They frequently showed fluff pieces in primetime instead of sports.
They showed WAY FEWER than previous Olympics.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #663
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ
NBC came into the Games expecting to lose money. They paid about $1 Billion for the rights to air these games, and as of the week before the Opening Ceremony, they had sold a record high amount of about $950 million in ads. Due to the high ratings, they were able to get more and they probably ended up breaking even or maybe even making a little bit. But it was tight.

With that information in mind, how was NBC expected to wring any additional ad revenue out of these Games if they didn't hold the marquee events for the primetime show? Splitting the audience during primetime is not an option. I'll bet that of the hundreds of hours NBC aired on all its various outlets, it made 80% or more of its total ad revenue on the primetime network broadcast. Ad rates on cable nets just don't compare to broadcast.
Yeah. Cause more choices and more sports and more events doesn't add up to more viewers. That's why they don't own a bunch of cable stations that broadcast regular programming during prime time.

And why espn never runs games on one than more channel.

What makes sense for every day makes even more sense for the olympics.

Once again. NBC devised a plan that was based on old technology and old patterns. How do you get fewer viewers with more channels.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #664
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack

They showed WAY FEWER than previous Olympics.
They did. But they showed way more commercials.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #665
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Primetime is only so many minutes. They can't show all of every thing in that time slot.

Show the whole volleyball match? Fine. Tell me what you cut out of PT to show it. Then, you have to defend why you cut some event someone else wanted to watch.
Well that one is easy, unfortunately. Cut the Brokaw piece. Not sports related, and it lasted an hour. There were other places they could have put that piece. How about show one less round of diving for instance? A problem I had with NBC's coverage (which I've mostly defended) Is I felt they were a bit too rigid in their scheduling. Sometimes you have to change things up a bit. Volleyball match compelling? Cut out some of another event. And so forth. I know it's tough, as you say that if someone tunes in to see an event and it's preempted they are going to be upset.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #666
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
It did. I think one of the reasons why they did it that was is to stop people from tuning over to their other channels during commercial breaks in the NBC coverage.
I'm sure they didn't count on me flipping to the Yankee game every commercial break and sometimes sticking with it too
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #667
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Yeah. Cause more choices and more sports and more events doesn't add up to more viewers. That's why they don't own a bunch of cable stations that broadcast regular programming during prime time.

Once again. NBC devised a plan that was based on old technology and old patterns. How do you get fewer viewers with more channels.
See, I don't think it was NBC that devised that plan, but advertisers that are still stuck on the old plans. They still pay A LOT more for broadcast ads than they do for cable. I don't think the networks push it as much because they get a subscriber fee for their cable outlets which subsidizes ad revenues on cable (I know there's been battles for fees for broadcast networks now, but I'm still not sure they get paid the same way). I'd bet that ad rates for NBC are probably double that of NBCSN or MSNBC, even for the Olympics. And that's mostly because that's what advertisers pay.

Even during regular primetime programming, how often does any cable channel beat the broadcast nets in ratings? Maybe MNF does, but probably not much else. There's still some justification in the old way, even though I agree, it's becoming increasingly antiquated.

Again, weren't ALL event streamed live on the internet?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #668
BrettStah

Are ad rates lower for cable, or are the ratings on cable typically lower for cable, leading to lower rates? In other words, if Show A is on NBC, and Show B is on NBCSN, and the ratings are identical, would the rates charged for ads be different?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #669
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
+1

Clearly they don't get social media yet either. Their reports on what celebrities were tweeting were ridiculous. This would make great fodder for an SNL skit.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #670
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

NBC owns multiple channels because it's an inevitability that the audience will be fractured, and they want to capture more of the segments. ESPN knows not everyone wants to watch the same game, and thus offers additional choices.

But the Olympics are different. They come along once every four years. The broadcast rights cost a fortune. NBC knows that in order to recoup its expenses and maximize its revenue on this, they have to funnel as many viewers as possible into one primetime telecast. If they fragment the Olympic viewership themselves, and encourage people to channel surf, there's no way they end up with the same number of viewers.

NBC devised a plan that's based on the viewing habits of the masses, and the masses still act as if they have old technology. The last figures I saw showed that less than half the US had DVRs, and probably much fewer than that use them properly. We still use hit shows to launch new shows, because the "lead-in" is very valuable. We still see from ratings that on nights when a primetime program gets big ratings, the corresponding late-night show on that same station gets a bump. People still tend to turn their TVs on and leave them on a specific channel. NBC knows this, and this is what they based their programming and revenue decisions on. Just because a few technically savvy people don't like it, doesn't mean it wasn't the best business decision they could have made.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #671
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
But the Olympics are different. They come along once every four years.
The Olympics come along every 2 years. You've forgotten NBC also uses the same coverage techniques for the Winter Olympics.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #672
laria
Librocubicularist

Technically, every 1.5 and 2.5 years.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #673
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
The Olympics come along every 2 years. You've forgotten NBC also uses the same coverage techniques for the Winter Olympics.
Right, but the economics of the Summer Games are much bigger than the Winter Games, and so for purposes of this debate, the Summer Games only happen every four years.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #674
cherry ghost

Article on Comcast/NBC winning the bid for 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43311618

since that was written, Rome has withdrawn it's bid for 2020 and the finalists are Istanbul, Tokyo, and Madrid.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #675
laria
Librocubicularist

I hope it's not Istanbul, because then I will be singing "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" for 4 years every time I hear/see news about it.

Doot doo doo... doot doo dee doo dee doo...
Old 08-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #676
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Article on Comcast/NBC winning the bid for 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020

http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43311618

since that was written, Rome has withdrawn it's bid for 2020 and the finalists are Istanbul, Tokyo, and Madrid.
Go Tokyo!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #677
aindik

Madrid - 6 hours ahead of east coast U.S. time
Istanbul - 7 hours ahead
Tokyo - 13 hours ahead

Of the 3, Tokyo is the best option for live events during prime time. 8 p.m. ET will be 9 a.m. Tokyo time.

OTOH, there won't be any live events during the work day from a Tokyo Olympics.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #678
cherry ghost

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Rio and the West Coast. If evening sessions are shown live across all US time zones, that would mean finishing around 7-8 on the West Coast versus 10-11 in the East.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #679
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see what they do with Rio and the West Coast. If evening sessions are shown live across all US time zones, that would mean finishing around 7-8 on the West Coast versus 10-11 in the East.
I can't imagine that NBC wouldn't be showing the Olympics during the normal primetime hours on the west coast. Which means they'd have to show them once live and then again immediately afterward on a delay. I can't imagin that NBC would be interested in cannibalizing the west coast viewership by airing the same programming at 5 pm PT and then again at 8 pm PT. That would fracture the audience and diminish the viewership and it would also encourage viewers to record the earlier telecast and then watch the recording during the later hours. Both of those options results in less advertising revenue for NBC.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #680
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Go Tokyo!!
I think it will be nearly impossible for Tokyo to win the 2020 Games, since the 2018 Games were awarded to South Korea. The IOC generally likes to move the games to a different region each time, as much as possible, and not return to a region for several years. Since the Summer and Winter Games went to a staggered schedule, the hosting has been as follows:

1992 Europe (Albertville)
1992 Europe (Barcelona)
1994 Europe (Lillehammer)
1996 North America (Atlanta)
1998 Asia (Nagano)
2000 Australia (Sydney)
2002 North America (Salt Lake City)
2004 Europe (Athens)
2006 Europe (Torino)
2008 Asia (Beijing)
2010 North America (Vancouver)
2012 Europe (London)
2014 Europe (Sochi)
2016 South America (Rio)
2018 Asia (Pyongchang)
2020 ?

This means that Istanbul and Madrid are the only real contenders for 2020, and it's kind of surprising since they're both in the same basic region as London, and that will only be eight years after London. Since 1988 (24 years), North America has only hosted three Games (1996 ATL, 2002 SLC, 2010 VAN). By 2020, that will be three games in 32 years. In that same 24 years, Europe has hosted 6 times, and if Madrid or Istanbul win, it will be 8 times in 32 years by 2020.

I'd think it would definitely be North America's turn again by 2020 and for sure by 2022/4.

Edit: After including the list of the host regions, it appears that Europe has been allowed to double up a couple times since 1992. So maybe the IOC won't have an issue with back-to-back games in Asia.

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 08-15-2012 at 05:33 PM.
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #681
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I can't imagine that NBC wouldn't be showing the Olympics during the normal primetime hours on the west coast. Which means they'd have to show them once live and then again immediately afterward on a delay. I can't imagin that NBC would be interested in cannibalizing the west coast viewership by airing the same programming at 5 pm PT and then again at 8 pm PT. That would fracture the audience and diminish the viewership and it would also encourage viewers to record the earlier telecast and then watch the recording during the later hours. Both of those options results in less advertising revenue for NBC.
I agree, and complaints could be worse than this year
Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #682
robojerk

I can imagine the next olympics, and the one after that having more of a streaming focus.

TV's have apps now, there's Roku, GoogleTV, AppleTV, etc. BBC streams through iPlayer, The question is how much will NBC Comcast try to strangle these options.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #683
aindik

I don't know about the rest of North America, but IIRC the USOC did not submit a bid for 2020.

I just googled the Philadelphia bid for 2020, which the USOC decided not to submit. I found a PowerPoint presentation that said the Olympic village would have been walking distance from my house.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #684
cherry ghost

Quote:
I don't know about the rest of North America, but IIRC the USOC did not submit a bid for 2020.
Correct, and no USOC bid for 2022.

The only North American cities that are currently actively exploring a bid for 2024 are Toronto, Baltimore-Washington, and Tulsa.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #685
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

The only North American cities that are currently actively exploring a bid for 2024 are Toronto, Baltimore-Washington, and Tulsa.
Pyongchang won the 2018 bid on their third try. Several other sites haven't been successful on their first bid and have won on their second. I wonder why cities like NYC and Chicago only bid once and then give up. Why doesn't the USOC pick the US site that should get the games next and then just continue to submit that site until it wins? Seems to me that they're basically reinventing the wheel by moving the bid to a different city each time. The voting members of the IOC build up a familiarity with a bid site, and if it comes back again, they'll know more about it and be more inclined to vote for it. But if it's a new bid city every time, they'll never get the benefit of that familiarity.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #686
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:

Tulsa?

LOL

IOC will go to Canada long before it selects a city in the USA again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #687
aindik

Quote:
Tulsa?

LOL

IOC will go to Canada long before it selects a city in the USA again.
They just did Canada in 2010.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #688
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
They just did Canada in 2010.
That was winter

And they would do Canada again sooner than they would do the USA again.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #689
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
That was winter

And they would do Canada again sooner than they would do the USA again.
Why do you say that?
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #690
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

It's too bad that the Chicago bid wasn't selected for 2016. I'd like to see them go for it again. I thought the bid was quite solid, although the opinions in the city were rather split for and against it. Chicago's bid was a lot like London's - lots of use of existing venues, lots of temporary venues, virtually no permanent construction other than the athlete's village and a handful of others.

I know, I know, I've heard from those in Chicago opposed to it, I don't need to hear about it again.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote