TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
scole250

Video Sharing messed up

I purchased 3 new Tivo Premieres this week. The first one I installed and activated on this past Saturday, Aug-11. It is named “New Living Room”. The second Tivo was installed and activated yesterday, Aug-14. It is named “New Kitchen”. The third Tivo was installed and activated yesterday, Aug-14, also. It is named “New Bonus Room”.

I am having problems with the Multi Room Viewing.

I have verified all Media Access Keys are the same.
I have verified Video Shared was enabled under the preferences.

New Bonus Room Tivo can see New Living Room Tivo, but not New Kitchen. i.e. New Kitchen Tivo does not appear in the list of recordings and other MRV Tivos. New Bonus Room can transfer and stream recordings from New Living Room.

New Living Room Tivo can see New Bonus Room Tivo, but can’t see New Kitchen. I haven’t tried transferring or streaming a recording from New Bonus Room because there aren’t any recorded shows on it yet.

New Kitchen Tivo can see the other two Tivos and browse their recordings. It can transfer non-copy protected recordings from New Living Room Tivo. It can’t/won’t stream copy protected recordings though. If a copy protected recording is selected, the only option it shows is Delete.

I suspect the status/preferences/name of the New Kitchen Tivo are not being picked up by the other two Tivos. When I was activating the New Kitchen Tivo from the Tivo website yesterday, the process did not complete normally. After I entered the CC/payment info and submitted the page, it did not return. The browser timed out. When I went back to the “My Account” page, the Tivo did not have a Tivo name it. Instead, it was listed as “N/A”. I changed to “New Kitchen” and saved.

I have tried everything.
Forced connections from all Tivos to Tivo service so many times that network cables are smoking.
Rebooted everything, multiple times.
I un-selected Video Sharing, forced connections. Re-selected Video Sharing and forced connections from all Tivos.
Change the name and forced connections multiple times from all Tivos.
Repeated Guided Setup.

Contacted Tivo Chat support twice, but was only told to wait 2-3 days.

Contact Support via phone. Said everything look ok on their side. Suggested unplugging network, re-booting.

I’ve tried everything except wait. Not sure waiting is the answer. I’ve forced connections to Tivo service from all Tivos multiple times.

Is Tivo Support monitoring these threads? Got anything else?

Is it worth doing a delete and clear?

Got escalated to L2. Hoping for quick fix.

Last edited by scole250 : 08-16-2012 at 06:49 PM.
scole250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Their answer was correct. give it a solid 72 hours after they've reset things to let it settle in and have all the proper settings propagated between their servers.

It's not supposed to take this long, but it can.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

This site is not associated with Tivo. While employees may view the site, it is not their support site.

As noted by Tivo, you tried everything but waiting the requisite period of up to 3 days (I'm pretty sure this is in both the documentation as the start up screens). This time often includes various software updates to the boxes, they often are sold at retail with a version or two back.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
scole250

What requires waiting 3 days? I was under the impression that it took that long for normal connections to the Tivo Service, but if you forced connections it would not take that long.

I guess I also wonder why the 3rd Tivo activated, New Bonus Room, had video sharing working within 3 hours of completing installation. Not sure it actually took that long. I didn't check that until then.

Quote:
This site is not associated with Tivo. While employees may view the site, it is not their support site.
I know. I was just hoping one of their support people might respond though.

Last edited by scole250 : 08-15-2012 at 01:29 PM.
scole250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
What requires waiting 3 days?
the answer is just "cause"

In addition to what the others have said and the need for software updates, the various back end systems also can need time to sync up with the account systems. Over the years this comes up and while most of the time it goes faster there are times that it can take the full amount of time.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Jebberwocky!

took me a good 2 days to get it right a month ago - no idea why.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
I purchased 3 new Tivo Premieres this week. The first one I installed and activated on this past Saturday, Aug-11. It is named “New Living Room”. The second Tivo was installed and activated yesterday, Aug-14. It is named “New Kitchen”. The third Tivo was installed and activated yesterday, Aug-14, also. It is named “New Bonus Room”.

I am having problems with the Multi Room Viewing.

I have verified all Media Access Keys are the same.
I have verified Video Shared was enabled under the preferences.

New Bonus Room Tivo can see New Living Room Tivo, but not New Kitchen. i.e. New Kitchen Tivo does not appear in the list of recordings and other MRV Tivos. New Bonus Room can transfer and stream recordings from New Living Room.

New Living Room Tivo can see New Bonus Room Tivo, but can’t see New Kitchen. I haven’t tried transferring or streaming a recording from New Bonus Room because there aren’t any recorded shows on it yet.

New Kitchen Tivo can see the other two Tivos and browse their recordings. It can transfer non-copy protected recordings from New Living Room Tivo. It can’t/won’t stream copy protected recordings though. If a copy protected recording is selected, the only option it shows is Delete.

I suspect the status/preferences/name of the New Kitchen Tivo are not being picked up by the other two Tivos. When I was activating the New Kitchen Tivo from the Tivo website yesterday, the process did not complete normally. After I entered the CC/payment info and submitted the page, it did not return. The browser timed out. When I went back to the “My Account” page, the Tivo did not have a Tivo name it. Instead, it was listed as “N/A”. I changed to “New Kitchen” and saved.

I have tried everything.
Forced connections from all Tivos to Tivo service so many times that network cables are smoking.
Rebooted everything, multiple times.
I un-selected Video Sharing, forced connections. Re-selected Video Sharing and forced connections from all Tivos.
Change the name and forced connections multiple times from all Tivos.
Repeated Guided Setup.

Contacted Tivo Chat support twice, but was only told to wait 2-3 days. Really?

Contact Support via phone. Said everything look ok on their side. Suggested unplugging network, re-booting… Really?

I’ve tried everything except wait. Not sure waiting is the answer. I’ve forced connections to Tivo service from all Tivos multiple times.

Is Tivo Support monitoring these threads? Got anything else?

Is it worth doing a delete and clear?

Tivo, if you can’t resolve this soon, I’m going to return the unit to Best Buy, get another and give bad feedback on surveys!!!
Not really directly related to your situation, but since those TiVos aren't going to be traveling around logging on to different networks, give them each a fixed IP address instead of relying on DHCP.

One thing fewer to possibly go wrong.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
scole250

Found another thread that documents my Tivo problem exactly. Was told same thing during a recent Tivo support call. Has to do with your Tivo being in the correct "group". Quick diagnosis is to check your TivoToGo values under System Information. They should be a,a,a. If they're i,i,a like mine, it indicates a problem.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=485610