TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Dark Shadows TV Series (Spoilers)

Anyone watching the old Dark Shadows TV show? I know Netflix has it and we started watching, but then realized Netflix doesn't start until ep 210. I found 1-209 and we've been watching ever since. Currently we are on ep 104 and they've just wrapped up the first major mystery. Still no sign of Barnabas or his portrait though, they haven't shown that section of wall as of yet, or even mentioned him.

It's funny how many production mistakes are in those first shows. Boom mikes in the shot, people walking around in the background, actors stuttering or addressing people incorrectly, shadows cast onto the set from camera men, knocking on the door that continues well after the actor is seen not knocking on the same door, the list goes on.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

There are two dark Shadows series of DVD.

Dark Shadows - The Beginning series are all the episodes that lead up to the Arrival of Barnabus

Dark Shadows - Collection 1 begins with the discovery of barnabus by Willie Loomis.

I was getting the DVDs from netflix and made it up to episode 700 and then they stopped carrying the DVDs. I was upset.

Earlier this year the DVDs started showing again to be borrowed so I added Collection 14 Disc one to my Queue as soon as I noticed this. The disc showed as "Long Wait" and they have been skipping over it ever since. I am still upset.

It is campy and the production quality is consistantly bad but I enjoy it. I hope I get the chance to continue with it.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
mattack

I've said this before.. as much as I hate things being edited/compressed in general, Dark Shadows is one that IMHO would be great to have a condensed version of.

I watched it in the 90s on Sci Fi for a while, but even as an avid TV watcher, a half hour (or was it 2/day?) of shows every single day was a lot to "keep up" on (esp since I watch/watched other things too)... and of course, it's a soap opera, so moves VERY VERY slowly and repeats things over and over...

So somehow condensing it, while still giving the basic narrative would be good.. (Heck, even extra info like having subtitles give you a rough idea what episode # they're on would let you go back and rewatch whole eps if you wanted.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
VegasVic
Craps Player

How many total episodes are there?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Roughly 1,225 total episodes.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Cainebj

I have fond memories of my grandmother watching the show and trying to keep me from watching it on the grounds it was too adult.

I have tried many times to watch it from beginning to end but who had time for that?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I have fond memories of my grandmother watching the show and trying to keep me from watching it on the grounds it was too adult.

I have tried many times to watch it from beginning to end but who had time for that?
i have made it through over 700 episodes and would probably be closing in on 1000 now if Netflix would keep shipping them to me.

At 20 minutes each they go by very quickly and since I don't watch much summer TV I can get through a lot of them. Even with that being said it took me a couple years to get through the 700.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
sieglinde

I watched it up until I went to college. So I quit watching in 1970.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I watched it up until I went to college. So I quit watching in 1970.
I think that was the last year.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
crawlernight11

I think Dark Shadows: The Complete Original Series (Deluxe Edition) available in Amazon has 131 DVDs with all 1,225 Complete Episodes. It comes with a deluxe booklet consisting of episode summaries & photographs. I remember my friend ordering it for his dad. I wasn't aware of this Gothic soap opera as I was not even born at the time of its airing. I have watched the first few episodes, say about 15 episodes and found it really good. Of course, there were many production mistakes that were funny indeed.
crawlernight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
sharkster

I'd love to watch again, but it's a pretty big commitment. I didn't remember how long it lasted, but I do remember coming home from school and watching it at 4pm each day.

I remember when the DVD set hit amazon and I really considered it but the pricepoint of this set is something that really makes you think hard about that.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

The wife and I are up to episode 137. Some things we've noted over the course of the series thus far:

Elizabeth was able to back Matthew down with a look. Since we've not looked ahead we are both considering some sort of supernatural ability.

David seems to have some prescience about him. Originally he explained it as the ghosts talking to him. That could still be the case, but it's clear from the last ep that he and his mother have some sort of psychic link.

Roger. We did see the first few shows starting around 210 before we realized we were missing some, so we know he's not around by that time. Where he goes or why he wasn't in the first few we saw is a mystery.

Barnabas. HaHA! Last night in ep 137 the producers messed up. They showed us the wall to the right of the foyer and low and behold, no portrait of our mysterious vampire. Instead there was a lamp similar to the one at the foot of the stair and a mirror.

We are on a roll now. Almost caught up to Netflix and we won't have to worry about ripping to the TiVo.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I really wish I could cotinue without buying the damn discs.

C'mon Netflix!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
mattack

Are they just very long wait? Looked like I could just add them. (but I was at 500 queue so couldn't.)
Old 08-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Are they just very long wait? Looked like I could just add them. (but I was at 500 queue so couldn't.)
Collection 14 disc one has been at the top of my queue for at least 2 or 3 months now. It says Very Long Wait but I honestly wonder if they even have it at this point. I realize there are more people interested in it since the movie earlier this year but I highly doubt they are on collection 14 yet.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
Linnemir

I watched the original and am 99% sure it was still on in '71 (jr. year in college). Also caught some of the reruns on Sci-Fi with my then four year old grand-daughter. The giggle here is that eleven years later, she still calls it the "wooooooo-wooo" show (From the theme music!)

My former roomie is currently getting it on netflicks and hasn't noticed any missing discs. Knowing her, however, she's probably the reason you haven't gotten the one you want - she said she watches about a half an hour at a time ...
Linnemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
mattack

Not directly related at all, but I got sent an extra disc because "XChange" was sent from a distant shipping center! I wish this was next weekend (holiday weekend) instead, though I'll likely watch and return at least one this week.

(I'm almost positive I have had that extra disc thing happen in the past, but now I'm on the 1 disc only plan, so 1->2 is obviously a much bigger jump than 4->5 which IIRC is what happened at least once in the past.)