TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
DouglasPHill

Hell On Wheels - Viva la Mexico - 8/12/2012

Well this certainly would not be my favorite episode. The show seemed to skip things to let you figure it out. It appears the lead blonde did the wild thing with the head railroad guy. One second our hero, or anti-hero is on a train and the next second he is in a paddy wagon. Seems like all of the characters took "move to the dark side" pills over the season break.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, the Swede is now the "garbage man", which I'm OK with, but he seems to have turned into a complete, sniffling wimp, which I *do* have a problem with.

The blonde was doing the wild thing with someone OTHER than the head railroad guy in that one scene, and the HRG knows this. It could be the beginning of an interesting story arc.

And what's with the whole Mexico thing? When did that come up? "Let's rob some trains, get some $$$ and move to Mexico"? Really?

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
DouglasPHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
The blonde was doing the wild thing with someone OTHER than the head railroad guy in that one scene, and the HRG knows this. It could be the beginning of an interesting story arc.
Brad
I thought the sex scene they actually showed was the Indian and the preachers daughter. I was referring to the blonde going into the headguy's train car. When she went in I said to my wife, "I thought she said no to him". So then I assumed they were having a routine railroad meeting. But her taking off her wrap and the expression on her face, at least to me said she was unwillingly there to do the wild thing.

I also thought she was living in a tent, but earlier they showed the swede servicing her poop pot (my assumption) in a rail car.

Last edited by DouglasPHill : 08-13-2012 at 02:08 PM.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
I thought the sex scene they actually showed was the Indian and the preachers daughter. I was referring to the blonde going into the headguy's train car. When she went in I said to my wife, "I thought she said no to him". So then I assumed they were having a routine railroad meeting. But her taking off her wrap and the expression on her face, at least to me said she was unwillingly there to do the wild thing.

I also thought she was living in a tent, but earlier they showed the swede servicing her poop pot (my assumption) in a rail car.
Yes, that was the Indian and the preacher's daughter that were shown. I agree that they were hinting that Lily was in Durant's car to have sex (the way she furtively looked around before entering, Durant's reaction to seeing her come to the door), but that was missing character development. Why did she suddenly change her mind?

The Swede was definitely at Lily's car to empty her "jerry pot", since he said it.

The worst part of the episode was the final train robbery and the aftermath. Could the director have made those scenes any more clumsy if he tried? It almost seemed like it was a bad film school project. First, Bohannan thinks it is a good idea to lower his gun from that guy threatening the kid? Really? That was likely the only thing that was keeping him from getting shot by the guy behind him. That was a Mexican standoff situation, not a lower your gun situation. And after stupidly lowering his gun, he makes the absolute bonehead move of turning his back on the guy he just had pointed his gun at? Then he gets hit from behind and wakes up in a paddy wagon? WTF? His criminal buddies just left him on the train and the authorities picked him up? Or he was dreaming while he was unconscious? I just cannot think of any explanation for that scene that is not clumsy or cliche.

Last edited by john4200 : 08-13-2012 at 03:18 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Beryl

This episode was a hot mess but my SP remains in place.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Yeah, she locked the door behind her so it was obvious what was gonna happen. And it was the preacher's daughter getting it on with the preacher's go-fer.

Put me in the camp that didn't particularly care for the "between season" developments...I will, however, give them the benefit of the doubt and trust it will get back on the rails, so to speak...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
tiassa
Me --Avatar

I agree that this ep seemed to "lack in continuity" relative to the end of last season. Durant and the lady surveyor made sense to me, but Preacher's daughter and the Indian? Where did that come from? Bohannon becoming a train robber kind of made sense, that wasn't an uncommon career path for Ex-CSA soldiers (as was running to Mexico--although few actually did), but how are they going to get him "back on the railroad"? I wonder if Durant will "buy his parole" (I think that was commonly done at that time). My issue is what happened to the rest of Bohannon's gang? You see them on the train, Bohannon stops his gangmate from killing the kid, you hear a gunshot, and then Bohannon is in the Paddy Wagon. It seemed like this classic farside cartoon

tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
...Preacher's daughter and the Indian? Where did that come from?...
That was no surprise at all...if you re-watch S1, you'll see he had the hots for her...
Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
Durant and the lady surveyor made sense to me, but Preacher's daughter and the Indian? Where did that come from?
That wasn't even the first time for the Preacher's daughter and the Indian. They had a developing relationship in season 1.

As for Lily and Durant, THAT was surprising. She had repeatedly turned down Durant's advances in season 1. And now, all of a sudden, she is sleeping with him? WTF?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Rob64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Yeah, she locked the door behind her so it was obvious what was gonna happen. And it was the preacher's daughter getting it on with the preacher's go-fer.

Put me in the camp that didn't particularly care for the "between season" developments...I will, however, give them the benefit of the doubt and trust it will get back on the rails, so to speak...
Yes it was the preachers daughter with the Indian. that's why she was letting the preacher get liquored up in the one scene so he'd pass out

I'm not so sure lead blonde did it with the railroad guy yet. It looks that way. She might have done it for survival purposes. Remember woman in this time period needed a man for protection and she needs him, I doubt she is a qualified surveyor, you don't go from helping your hubby to a full blown surveyor but this is TV land where anything is possible.

Last edited by Rob64 : 08-15-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Rob64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #11
jeepair

[quote=tiassa;9230044]My issue is what happened to the rest of Bohannon's gang? You see them on the train, Bohannon stops his gangmate from killing the kid, you hear a gunshot, and then Bohannon is in the Paddy Wagon. It seemed like this classic farside cartoon
QUOTE]

Bohannon probably got knocked out and the gang left him there. The people on the train probably held him until a Sheriff showed up.
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post
Bohannon probably got knocked out and the gang left him there. The people on the train probably held him until a Sheriff showed up.
I agree that is one of the few possible explanations for what we saw. But it is very hard to believe. The robbers would have just shot Bohannon, not left him alive.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Sadara
huh?

At least I wasn't the only one left a touch confused by this episode.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I wouldn't say I was confused....disappointed a bit that they apparently fast-forwarded through some rather significant character changes perhaps.

I will say the Cullen incident on the train, then jumping to him in the paddy wagon was a bit abrupt...
Old 08-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #15
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Hell on Wheels is getting as bad as Burn Notice. This is what, the 4th time that Bohannon was locked up awaiting execution only to be rescued and given a job as Foreman, Boss, Sheriff, Bounty Hunter...?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote