TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #31
dtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I'm not really giving her any credit. I'm just saying that she's perfect in this role...which might not be a good thing, since the role is a robotic academic who can't relate to actual people.
My only gripe is why would Don come to Sloan for info on Maggie and Jim. He should've gone straight to MacKenzie, which would have made for interesting conversation, because it was Mac who dangled Maggie in front of Jim to enticed him to stay.

Or maybe that's next week's episode?
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #32
robojerk

I'm still deciding if I like this show. There are elements I like a lot, and some not so much.

The love triangle between Jim, Maggie, and Don I could care less about, and it feels really heavy handed that I should care. I really hope they're building up something that creates a lot of chaos in the future, and that it's not just there to be like watching The Office again.

Last edited by robojerk : 07-31-2012 at 10:27 PM.
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #33
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
The key is, although we had different reactions, they fooled us both.
Mine was "I get why he kept the ring, but WTF did he keep the BAG?"

Then later I felt very dumb.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #34
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I kept expecting the therapist to say something like

Imagine a pond full of ducks, with each duck swimming in a random direction...

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #35
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidex1920 View Post
Sloan subs for Elliot during the Japanese nuclear crisis afterward the March 2011 earthquake, but her acrid analytic of a Tokyo power-company adumbrative could accident her credibility. Meanwhile, Will has a bender of indisposition that leads him to therapy, and he learns a assignment about blowing afterwards his abrupt behavior in an interview.
Yeah, but the real question is where online can you buy V1agra or C1ali$?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 08-12-2012 at 11:07 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:46 AM   #36
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
And they didn't intend the language "misunderstanding" to be plausible, only to be an excuse for the Japanese guy to save face.
But then they reveal that Fukushima is going to admit to a level seven radiation exposure. Which seems to make the whole "saving face" argument moot.

Not to mention, they want an employee to openly lie on air about it.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #37
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
But then they reveal that Fukushima is going to admit to a level seven radiation exposure. Which seems to make the whole "saving face" argument moot.
The face-saving is the spokesman saving face with his employers by having the reporter retract the assertion that he said things off the record that the employers did not want him to reveal.

Fukushima having to admit the level seven is a whole separate bout of face losing.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #38
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Right...the Newsroom crew were trying to help the spokesman (whom they had screwed over in the first place, and cost him his job), not Fukushima.

Lying on the air was a way of reversing the effects of the massive breach of ethics Sloan had committed. On the air.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #39
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Right...the Newsroom crew were trying to help the spokesman (whom they had screwed over in the first place, and cost him his job), not Fukushima.

Lying on the air was a way of reversing the effects of the massive breach of ethics Sloan had committed. On the air.
Right, I understand they're trying save the guy. But what's the bigger issue here? That Sloan used off the record info or that the Japanese were getting nuked at a much higher amount than their gov't. was admitting to?

Maybe, without the on air admission, Fukushima stays quite about the radiation levels. If you're the anchor with that info, what side do you err on?

Of course, this is all in the context of the fictional Newsroom script, and has no bearing on the real life events.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 08-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #40
sharkster

I continue to enjoy the show, perhaps even more and more each ep. While I'm not a R, I understand the McAvoy character and his relationship with what the party has become.

I really liked Munn in this episode. In fact, and for some completely unknown reason, I was getting a girl-crush on her when she was speaking Japanese. Where the heck did THAT come from?
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #41
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Anyone else think the bodyguard will die?
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #42
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
Maybe, without the on air admission, Fukushima stays quite about the radiation levels. If you're the anchor with that info, what side do you err on?
But there was no on-air admission. There was Sloan, claiming that somebody had told her something while he was denying it to her (and America's) face.

She deserved to get fired. Who will ever tell another reporter from that network something off the record? She's just lucky that McAvoy had a mad case of the guilts, and let her get off the hook with only an on-air apology (and for a much lesser crime than she actually committed).
Old 08-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #43
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
But there was no on-air admission. There was Sloan, claiming that somebody had told her something while he was denying it to her (and America's) face.

She deserved to get fired. Who will ever tell another reporter from that network something off the record? She's just lucky that McAvoy had a mad case of the guilts, and let her get off the hook with only an on-air apology (and for a much lesser crime than she actually committed).
You're right, it was Sloan doing the admission. But, if you take an off the record statement, you have an unconfirmed rumor. Then you have to dig until you get more statements from people willing to go on the record. I've seen this in practice and off the record accounts may have worked for Woodward and Bernstein when there's time to build a case. But, when you've got a large amount of people about to become crispy critters because of false information, your future credibility means nothing when they find that you've withheld pertinent information that could have prevented a disaster.

It's a choice you make.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 08-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #44
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

No, it's NOT a choice you make. A news organization without confidential sources is a news organization that gets no scoops, and then dies. A news organization that outs and humiliates their confidential sources in public is a news organization without confidential sources.

Sloan killed her network. They will never get a scoop from a confidential source again. The show seriously downpeddled the incredible damage she did.

The choice you make in that situation is exactly the choice that you yourself said they should have made. "You have to dig until you get more statements from people willing to go on the record." Alternately, you do a report based on anonymous sources. Sloan not only robbed them of the chance to do that, she robbed them of the chance to ever do that again. Because now, NOBODY WILL EVER TALK TO THEM.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #45
Peter000

Quote:
No, it's NOT a choice you make. A news organization without confidential sources is a news organization that gets no scoops, and then dies. A news organization that outs and humiliates their confidential sources in public is a news organization without confidential sources.

Sloan killed her network. They will never get a scoop from a confidential source again. The show seriously downpeddled the incredible damage she did.

The choice you make in that situation is exactly the choice that you yourself said they should have made. "You have to dig until you get more statements from people willing to go on the record." Alternately, you do a report based on anonymous sources. Sloan not only robbed them of the chance to do that, she robbed them of the chance to ever do that again. Because now, NOBODY WILL EVER TALK TO THEM.
I think you're over dramatizing it. On the show, more people than not don't watch their news programming, and are completely ignorant of what's happening on the network. More likely, if anything, nobody will ever talk to Sloan again. I'm not a reporter, but from what I've seen being a an informant is 90% trusting the reoporter, not the organization the reporter works for.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #46
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue View Post
Anyone else think the bodyguard will die?
That already happened with C.J. and her bodyguard in The West Wing. Sorkin would never recycle a story like that!

lol.

Seriously though, I think that might be a shade too dark, dramatically, for this show.

If we think of Sports Night (0%) and The West Wing (100%) as opposite poles of the Sorkin Comedy/Drama spectrum, I'd put The Newsroom at about 75% (and Studio 60 at about 40%).

Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #47
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
That already happened with C.J. and her bodyguard in The West Wing. Sorkin would never recycle a story like that!

lol.

Seriously though, I think that might be a shade too dark, dramatically, for this show.

If we think of Sports Night (0%) and The West Wing (100%) as opposite poles of the Sorkin Comedy/Drama spectrum, I'd put The Newsroom at about 75% (and Studio 60 at about 40%).
The West Wing story line is exactly what I had in mind.
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #48
Howie
Out of Pocket

I like this show a lot, which pretty much guarantees that it'll get cancelled. I think it's a little too highbrow for the great unwashed. You have to actually think a little to enjoy it. Not that I'm any great thinker, mind you.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #49
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue View Post
The West Wing story line is exactly what I had in mind.
Will they include the romance too?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #50
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I like this show a lot, which pretty much guarantees that it'll get cancelled. I think it's a little too highbrow for the great unwashed. You have to actually think a little to enjoy it. Not that I'm any great thinker, mind you.
I actually find it to be a bit dry at times, primarily when they focus on the relationships between these incompatible and hard-to-like characters. Aside from Waterston and Daniels, they're a bit limp.

The chemistry was much better on Sports Night (I finally got around to watching it).

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #51
Howie
Out of Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
I actually find it to be a bit dry at times, primarily when they focus on the relationships between these incompatible and hard-to-like characters. Aside from Waterston and Daniels, they're a bit limp.

The chemistry was much better on Sports Night (I finally got around to watching it).
I never watched Sports Night. If it's on Netflix or Hulu+ I just might have to check it out.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #52
smak
TV MA SLV

I think it's ok that the chemistry on Sports Night was better, because those people had worked together a long time, while these people haven't.

I think it's still early to judge the show on that.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #53
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
I think it's ok that the chemistry on Sports Night was better, because those people had worked together a long time, while these people haven't.
Well, it's been a year now...
Old 08-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #54
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

CNN really needs to hire McAvoy. If they had interviews like that, they wouldn't be in the position they are in.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #55
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post

lol.
Yeah, but that was so Mark Harmon could go become Gibbs on NCIS!

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #56
mmilton80
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I never watched Sports Night. If it's on Netflix or Hulu+ I just might have to check it out.
It is on Netflix streaming. I just tore through the series (again). I rather enjoyed it.

If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving. - A Tour Guide
mmilton80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #57
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Sports night was ahead of its time and was amazing tv. I'm a little surprised that Josh Molina isn't on this show. Sorkin loves him.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #58
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
CNN really needs to hire McAvoy. If they had interviews like that, they wouldn't be in the position they are in.
Replace David Gregory with Wil McAvoy on Meet the Press. Tim Russert is cringing in his grave.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #59
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I'm still deciding if I like this show. There are elements I like a lot, and some not so much.

The love triangle between Jim, Maggie, and Don I could care less about, and it feels really heavy handed that I should care. I really hope they're building up something that creates a lot of chaos in the future, and that it's not just there to be like watching The Office again.
I finally caught up to this episode. If they got rid of the love stories, I'd LOVE this show, now I only like it. Honestly, I don't see ANY of these people in any kind of relationship with each other. That part isn't working for me, especially the Mac/Wil part. They just don't seem like they were EVER a couple outside of the script saying they were. I love the newsroom stuff, and the reporting stuff. I liked this episode a lot strictly for the reporting on the Japanese NUKE and how that was handled. My son nailed it, Sam Waterston is the BEST part of this show. He needs more screen time.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #60
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Honestly, I don't see ANY of these people in any kind of relationship with each other. That part isn't working for me, especially the Mac/Wil part. They just don't seem like they were EVER a couple outside of the script saying they were.
Interesting. I find it infinitely easier to believe Mac and Will were a couple than to believe Don and Maggie are a couple. But overall I agree: The relationship aspects of the show are not nearly as well-crafted as the work-place aspects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
My son nailed it, Sam Waterston is the BEST part of this show. He needs more screen time.
Could not agree more. And I could pretty much say the same thing for anything I've ever seen him in. He's great.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote