TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
samsgood

Setting up recordings online...

How much time do you need in advance if you want to set a show to record online and have the TIVO actually do it? Obviously, programming something 30 minutes before it starts is a bad move but does anyone know what the minimum time you can wait is so that the TIVO actually gets the request and does it?
samsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Here is what TiVo recommends:

Quote:
To ensure a successful scheduling request, be sure to schedule up to an hour before a show airs if your DVR is broadband-connected, and up to 36 hours before if your DVR connects via phone line.
I just scheduled a program with only 20 minutes of lead time as an experiment. We'll see if it records.

Edit: Didn't record. I guess it's best if you follow TiVo's advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 08-04-2012 at 08:08 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
compnurd

normally is takes 10-20 min for me
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
scottfll954

I Have had Comcast and directv DVR`s and its Instantaneous..

I would happen to think this is one area tivo needs to UPDATE ..

we all want instant confirmation...

and stop all of the emails...
scottfll954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
compnurd

what emails?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
scottfll954

I first get an email.. confirming the request..

We have received your request to record "xxxxx." on Channel 480 for Tue 7/31 at 11:00 PM.

Priority: Only record if nothing else conflicts
Quality: Use the default on the DVR
Keep Until: Space needed
Start Recording: On Time
Stop Recording: On Time

then I get...

Your online request for "xxxxxxx" has been received.

This program is now scheduled to record and appears in the To Do List.

=====================================================

then I get 1 on my TIVO Message in box..

so that is 3... all together..

I think a bit too much
scottfll954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Edit: Didn't record.
I take this back. I just now looked through my NPL and noticed the show I scheduled online, however the recording was started 20 minutes late.
So it took 35 - 40 minutes for my online request to reach my Tivo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
normally is takes 10-20 min for me
You are saying that you can schedule a show online 10 minutes before it starts and your Tivo will get the request on time and record the show in its entirety?

(I suppose it's possible if you just happen to hit the sweet spot in the timing between when the TiVo servers get updated with the request and when your Tivo checks in to the mother ship.)

F*CK CANCER!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfll954 View Post

and stop all of the emails...
If you're using "Record with Options", just delete your email address from the "Send confirmation?" box. If you're using "1-Click Record", go into "1-Click Options" beforehand--you'll find it in the menu on the left-hand side--and remove your email address.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post
If you're using "Record with Options", just delete your email address from the "Send confirmation?" box. If you're using "1-Click Record", go into "1-Click Options" beforehand--you'll find it in the menu on the left-hand side--and remove your email address.
Yeh i was going to say, there is a spot to not get the emails.

And yeh maybe i did hit the sweetspot but normally it is about 20 min from online. From the Tivo App it is right away
Old 08-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
awsnyde

Quote:
From the Tivo App it is right away
I don't have any insider knowledge about the software running the TiVo, and I am not a networking expert (though I am a computer scientist), so the best I can do is make an educated guess--a SWAG, if you will--about why that is.

The TiVo app, which only works like that when it's on the same network as your TiVo (that is, the app is using the WiFi on the same network that the TiVo is connected to, whether by WiFi or Ethernet), can send "messages" to your TiVo directly, at virtually any time.

The online application has to wait for the TiVo to "poll" it. Theoretically, the TiVo could do it more often, but that could slow the TiVo itself, your network, or both, and with millions of TiVos doing so, probably the servers hosting the online application (which is hardly a speed demon as it is). Meanwhile, the online application could also theoretically "message" your TiVo, but that would almost certainly become a configuration nightmare, as most users would have to fiddle with their firewalls in order to allow that. I don't blame TiVo at all for not wanting to go through that customer service nightmare.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
Larry in TN

I thought I remembered hearing that a network-connected TiVo checks in every 15 minutes.
Larry in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post
I don't have any insider knowledge about the software running the TiVo, and I am not a networking expert (though I am a computer scientist), so the best I can do is make an educated guess--a SWAG, if you will--about why that is.

The TiVo app, which only works like that when it's on the same network as your TiVo (that is, the app is using the WiFi on the same network that the TiVo is connected to, whether by WiFi or Ethernet), can send "messages" to your TiVo directly, at virtually any time.

The online application has to wait for the TiVo to "poll" it. Theoretically, the TiVo could do it more often, but that could slow the TiVo itself, your network, or both, and with millions of TiVos doing so, probably the servers hosting the online application (which is hardly a speed demon as it is). Meanwhile, the online application could also theoretically "message" your TiVo, but that would almost certainly become a configuration nightmare, as most users would have to fiddle with their firewalls in order to allow that. I don't blame TiVo at all for not wanting to go through that customer service nightmare.
I dont think it calls out for this since that is only once a day. I believe a signal is sent to tell the Tivo to record something, or a change has occured..

I have edited my Season passes online and 5 min later the Tivos are updated
Old 08-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
I dont think it calls out for this since that is only once a day.
The "daily call" serves an entirely different purpose. A broadband connected Tivo connects to the mothership about 10 times an hour checking for any online record requests.
Quote:
I believe a signal is sent to tell the Tivo to record something, or a change has occured..
Nope, Tivos initiate all contact.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #14
rajmhar

Question

if it only takes 10-20 minutes or so for the recording to start after setting it up from remote via the smart phone app or via the world wide web, then why does the tivo website say it can take up to 24 hours? Do you guys also get this warning when you set up recordings from the tivo website?
rajmhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I think that's just TiVo covering their a$$es. Notice the "can take up to" before the "24 hours".

F*CK CANCER!