TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
casa69

can I put my large fornated drives from a svr2000 into another svr2000

Here's the story. I bought and then upgraded a used sony svr2000 with two 120gig HD's with the success of that upgrade I attempted to upgrade to a 9th tee airnet card to access the internet wirelessly for the daily programing and after some bad advice, or my lack of understanding telnetting into the tivo and ping it. When I pinged it it rebooted and was no longer able to call out using the modem but I could use it for manual recording. I bought another svr2000 a few years later and this time I used a 9th tee ethernet card and it successfully uses my broadband cable for the daily calls.
My question is that since my two 120 gig HD's are still good and already tivo formatted, can I simply put them in the other svr2000 without doing all the steps I originally did to increase the storage capacity?
I think all the mods were to the HD's and not the motherboard. Keep in mind it was YEARS ago when I did this upgrade. I do still have the mfstool cd and don't have a problem redoing the steps, I'm just looking for the easy way out. I just don't know if the bigger drives are "married" to the old mobo.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
ggieseke

I think it really depends on what caused the other one to fail. If something in the Airnet installation buggered up the OS, the problem will just transfer with the disks. AFAIK the drives themselves aren't "married" to the motherboard like later models.

I would just wipe the drives and start over with a clean 3.x image (there are some lurking in the Upgrade forum) and use MFSTools or WinMFS to restore it. No hacks would be needed since the 120s don't exceed the LBA48 limit and 3.x supports the TurboNET card straight out of the box.

That said, it's still worth trying and about 15 minutes should tell the tale.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
casa69

well I tried it last night. I figure I had nothing to lose by trying it. I remember I tried it before and I got GSOD. These larger drives were working as a manual recorder when I pulled them out. I'm using my original TiVo drive, the one I used to upgrade to the large drives from, so I still have a good image to work from. If I remember right after a large capacity drive upgrade doesn't the TiVo have to go through guided setup upon reboot? I already have the dialing prefix set to,#401 and I think it was working with the TurboNet. I'll find out tues when the ethernet cable gets here.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
ggieseke

It's been a lot of years, but I don't remember needing to run GS again.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
unitron

While I'm working on a nice long answer, here's a link to a post with a link I think is still good to an image with the most recent version of the software (3.0), which will work with the Turbonet card without doing anything more than changing the dialing prefix, which you seem to know how to do already.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...02#post6228202

You can use MFS Tools to restore it, or their successor, the MFS Live cd, v1.4.

You should get the MFS Live cd image and burn yourself a copy, it's most handy to have.

mfslive.org

You have two of those Sonys, right?

As far as you know are both functional and undamaged?

What kind of subscription, if any, do you have on either?

Do you know which version of the software is on which machine, and which version is on the original drive of the one you put the 120s in?

If it's older than 3.0, you might want to hold off on risking it being updated until we know more.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
casa69

Ok I just got my ethernet cable in, connected it, and put service back on the svr2000. It made a successful call. It may take a few hours to download program guide data as I've just activated it literally 10 min ago.

Both sony's have Ver 3.0 The one that is plugged in, activated, and running now has a bad modem so I put a Turbonet card in it and it now makes daily calls. The drive that came in it was bad, so I'm using the original drive from my 1st sony. That 1st sony still worked as a manual recorder because I think I burned out the modem long ago trying to install an Airnet card by opening telnet and "pinging" the box. When I hit enter, the sony blinked on and off and then rebooted. I think I was connected through the serial port when that happened. Since then It would not call out again through the phone line. I never tried a Turbonet in that box although I suspect that it might fix that box too.

I think to get the two 120's up and running again, I'll wipe the drives clean and start all over with the current drive's OS image. How would you recommend wiping the drives clean? I will download the latest disc checker software for the 120's and check to see that they're still good prior to reloading TiVo software onto them.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
casa69

Neither box has a lifetime sub on it. They are month to month, and neither modem works so I can't EVER go through guided setup or it will be stuck there! BTW I put the Turbonet card in it about 3 years ago I just couldn't remember if I got it to work back then. I suspected I did because there was some newer programming on it.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
casa69

I just checked the svr2000 and the program guide is current and up to date. My next step is getting the 120's back up and running. BTW they are IBM deskstars.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
unitron

S1 internal modems are notorious for going bad without any help from the owner.

They fall victim to spikes and glitches on the line that other components never even notice.

You should at least have a knot or two tied in each end of any phone line connected to them.

The image I gave you the link to the link of (comment #14 in the begging thread) is 3.0, so during guided setup you can put in ,#401 as a dial prefix and it'll use a TurboCard or CacheCard instead of the phone.

Go to mfslive.org, download the MFS Live cd v1.4 image and burn it as an image on a cd-r.

(You should have a copy even if you don't own TiVos)

Boot from that and use it to restore to one of the 2 120s--it'll overwrite what's on there, and then mfsadd to include the rest of that drive and the other drive and you won't need to erase anything on either drive in advance.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
casa69

Ok. I grabbed your S1 image as a backup but I still have a clean image with a working drive already connected to my network and making daily calls. So as I understand it MFS live v1.4 should make a copy of my drive and place it on the two large drives and when put back in to the tivo should act like the 30 hr drive but with more storage capacity, correct? That should be all I need, and it looks like it is way easier to do than when I originally did it back in 03.
So to get the live boot image, do I register with MFSlive.org? is there a fee or a charge for the software?
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa69 View Post
Ok. I grabbed your S1 image as a backup but I still have a clean image with a working drive already connected to my network and making daily calls. So as I understand it MFS live v1.4 should make a copy of my drive and place it on the two large drives and when put back in to the tivo should act like the 30 hr drive but with more storage capacity, correct? That should be all I need, and it looks like it is way easier to do than when I originally did it back in 03.
So to get the live boot image, do I register with MFSlive.org? is there a fee or a charge for the software?
Thanks for your help.
I think you might have to register in the MFS Live forums to download WinMFS, which runs as a Windows program, but you should just be able to download the MFS Live cd image without any problem.

Both are free, but WinMFS can't work with the images made with MFS Tools or MFS Live, and neither of them can work with images made by WinMFS, so for the time being, you should avoid using WinMFS to avoid confusion.

Go to mfslive.org and read.

And then read some more.

And keep reading.

And read stuff in the forums there.

You have about a decade or so of other people learning stuff the hard way to take advantage of.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
casa69

I realize the problems I was having way back when with the Turbonet. It's connected to the router with an ethernet cable and I can force a call, but it doesn't make automatic calls. I just checked it, and last nights call failed, but I just made it call out and it succeeded. What gives? Do I need to assign it and the router a static IP address?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
casa69

Also when I check the drives with a drive utility, won't I have to boot them into windows to test them? I've heard that ruins them because windows puts a drive stamp on them. how would I go about testing the drives with the utility?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Also when I check the drives with a drive utility, won't I have to boot them into windows to test them? I've heard that ruins them because windows puts a drive stamp on them. how would I go about testing the drives with the utility?
You should be able to find a version of the manufacturer's diagnostic software that comes as an image from which to make a bootable floppy or cd, so that you never boot into Windows.

And make sure you aren't using a GigaByte brand motherboard.

Also make yourself a bootable cd of the MFS Live cd and boot into it first to run

diskutil

to make sure the drives are unlocked from the locking an S1 does to drives.

Do not use

qunlock

to do this as it will screw up most drives other than a handful of old Quantums.

diskutil

can be used on those old Quantums as well.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
I realize the problems I was having way back when with the Turbonet. It's connected to the router with an ethernet cable and I can force a call, but it doesn't make automatic calls. I just checked it, and last nights call failed, but I just made it call out and it succeeded. What gives? Do I need to assign it and the router a static IP address?
Assigning an S1 a static IP involves hooking it to a computer serial port and running something like hyperterm and interrupting the TiVo's boot process to get to a menu where you can find lots of ways to screw up the TiVo.

For now, make your router's available pool of addresses assignable via DHCP as large as possible, perhaps 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 if your router is set at 192.168.1.1, and see if that works.

Maybe don't have anything on the network turned on except the router and the TiVo to begin with.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
casa69

here's another odd thing about the daily call. I just checked to see if it succeeded and it did.
Last attempt wed, aug 8 5:29 PM,
Last success wed, aug 8 5:29 PM,
Status succeeded
Next scheduled attempt wed, aug 8 6:20 PM
It was 11 min past 6 so I waited. At 6:19 PM I opened up account settings, and waited.....nothing happened so I went to live TV to see the time on the TiVo 6:21 PM, back to account settings.....still nothing, A final live TV time check at 6:24 and back to settings and still nothing happening.
It went right past the scheduled attempt. Is this part of the problem?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
casa69

Take a wild guess at what Mobo I'm using in my PC? Why not use the Gigabyte Mobo?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
here's another odd thing about the daily call. I just checked to see if it succeeded and it did.
Last attempt wed, aug 8 5:29 PM,
Last success wed, aug 8 5:29 PM,
Status succeeded
Next scheduled attempt wed, aug 8 6:20 PM
It was 11 min past 6 so I waited. At 6:19 PM I opened up account settings, and waited.....nothing happened so I went to live TV to see the time on the TiVo 6:21 PM, back to account settings.....still nothing, A final live TV time check at 6:24 and back to settings and still nothing happening.
It went right past the scheduled attempt. Is this part of the problem?
If it connected at 5:29 PM, it's not going to be done processing what it downloaded by 6:20 PM.

It just hasn't gotten around to setting a new next attempt scheduled time yet.

You can force a connection and make sure it goes through.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
unitron

Quote:
Take a wild guess at what Mobo I'm using in my PC? Why not use the Gigabyte Mobo?
GigaByte motherboards in the past several years have a "feature" where they create Host Protected Areas on hard drives attached to them.

It's so they've got a place to put a backup copy of the BIOS or the CMOS settings or something.

The

hdparm

utilty, which should be used with extreme caution, on the MFS Live cd can be used to see if a drive has an HPA on it.

What model number GigaByte board do you have, how many IDE and SATA headers, and what's usually connected to what when you don't have any TiVo drives attached?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
casa69

checked the dhcp server and it was already set from 2 to 254
Old 08-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #21
casa69

GN 7N400 Mobo and I have hd on pri mas & dvd burner on sec mas currently. It does have a floppy, also in the tower but not hooked up is a 2nd hd and a cd rom. 2 IDE connectors
Old 08-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #22
unitron

Quote:
GN 7N400 Mobo and I have hd on pri mas & dvd burner on sec mas currently. It does have a floppy, also in the tower but not hooked up is a 2nd hd and a cd rom. 2 IDE connectors
Does that thing have 4 IDE headers for a total possible of 8 IDE devices, or 2 headers and a max of 4 devices?

(the spec sheet says 4 headers, which is unusual)

Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
unitron

Quote:
checked the dhcp server and it was already set from 2 to 254
Usually I advise fixed IP addresses all around, but in this case I'd say leave well enough alone for the time being.

We'll teach you about getting in via the serial port later.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #24
casa69

2 headers
Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #25
unitron

Quote:
2 headers
Okay, do you have the drive from which it ordinarily boots (Windows?) on the Primary Master?

Have you burned yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd yet?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
casa69

yes windows is on pri master

I can't find a download of MFS live. I tried to register with MFSlive.org but the forum is locked. I sent a message to the sys admin but no response as of yet.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #27
casa69

Ok. nevermind. I found it. It's very small at the bottom. lol. Do I have to unzip it before burning it?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #28
unitron

Quote:
Ok. nevermind. I found it. It's very small at the bottom. lol. Do I have to unzip it before burning it?
I think the .iso extension of the file name makes Windows or your browser's download manager think it's a rar file, but you should be able to just take it as it is and burn it AS AN IMAGE to a cd-r, and get a bootable cd out of it.

When you (or whoever) first hooked that drive to the Primary Master, the board should have set up an HPA on the end of it, and if you leave that drive attached there, or attach another sacrificial IDE drive as Primary Master, that should keep the board happy as long as it thinks it's put an HPA on the boot drive.

You should set things up in BIOS so that the board looks to boot first from a floppy, second from a cd, and only then from the Windows drive.

Then remember never to start it without being sure there isn't a floppy or cd or both loaded unless you intend to boot from it.

Practice booting from the MFS Live cd without the TiVo drives hooked up just to get an idea of what happens.

Type

reboot

on the command line (and hit Enter) to make it reboot, or type

poweroff

to make it shut down.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #29
casa69

More bad luck for me. I haven't used my PC downstairs in a while. Everything I do is on the laptop. I was down there for other reasons and seeing as how I hadn't fired it up in a while, and I will be needing it for TiVo upgrades, I fired it up to check it. It booted into windows, I had some updates pop up, and was taking care of those software issues and it shut off with the Mobo sounding an alarm. I rebooted several times and each time there was less time from the time I pushed the power button til the time the alarm re-sounded. Same alarm. Quickly tried a different hard drive and the same result. Might be dust. I'll blow it out at work (again) and see if that helps. If not........I just don't know. I have several old Mobo's that might work, but that's what this sounds like. No TiVo upgrading for me in the near future.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #30
casa69

Oh yeah...it's been a 1-1/2 since I fired that computer up.