TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
sehale

30 Second Skip While Fast Forwarding

I have recorded several 10 hour sessions of the Olympics and found that while fast forwarding, if I hit the SKIP button, I can jump forward by 15 minutes, 30 minutes or an hour - seemingly at random. I can't figure out how to consistently jump 15 minutes at a time. It seems for 1 hour shows, it will consistently only skip 15 minutes but for the long recordings, it seems to jump in varying increments without a pattern (that I can figure out). I have tried waiting between presses, returning to play then FF+SKIP, etc. Is there some pattern/control over this? Premiere XL
sehale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
compnurd

When i do that it skips the ticks that are on the progress bar. Which are in 15 min increments
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
sehale

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
When i do that it skips the ticks that are on the progress bar. Which are in 15 min increments
That's how it works for me on shorter (1 hour) shows. But on the longer ones it is jumping 15 minutes to an hour at a time and I can't figure out how to control it - like jump 15 minutes for a while, then maybe hour long ones.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
moyekj

Count the number of ticks you see in progress bar and then divide total time by that number to get the time increment of each tick. For example for a 4 hour (240 min) recording I have 8 ticks shown so each tick is 240/8 = 30 min
For a 1 hour (60 min) recording I have 4 ticks shown so each tick is 60/4 = 15 min

Longer recordings will have longer time intervals between each tick by design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

To expand on what moyekj said...

Pressing the "->|" button while fast forwarding invokes what has been termed the "skip to tick" feature. Simply, the Tivo will skip ahead to the next tick mark on the progress bar.

Also, it works the same in both directions. If you are rewinding and hit the "|<-" button, it will skip to the previous tick mark.

On short shows, there is a tick mark every 15 minutes. On longer shows, the tick marks are spaced every 30 minutes or 1 hour (depending on the total length).
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
To expand on what moyekj said...

Pressing the "->|" button while fast forwarding invokes what has been termed the "skip to tick" feature. Simply, the Tivo will skip ahead to the next tick mark on the progress bar.

Also, it works the same in both directions. If you are rewinding and hit the "|<-" button, it will skip to the previous tick mark.

On short shows, there is a tick mark every 15 minutes. On longer shows, the tick marks are spaced every 30 minutes or 1 hour (depending on the total length).
you can also hold -> to go to the end of the program or hold replay to go to the beginning.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
you can also hold -> to go to the end of the program or hold replay to go to the beginning.
I think that's only if you use the new "30 sec scan" mode with Premieres. If you enable the traditional 30 sec skip I don't think that works.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
leiff

nope, your wrong. I have 30 sec skip enabled on my premier and a hold down of button does result in advance to end/beginning.
I am not happy about the tick marks extending to the hour point on longer programs. Ex.. Olympics. I want to be able to quicky move forward 15 or 30 minutes. 1 hour is too long. Is there a way to use some kind of macro or button press to move ahead 15 or 30 minutes at a time? Without this I waste allot of time on X3 FF mode. It would also help if Tivo put in a X4 FF mode.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
mattack

Macro -- yeah, hit 30 second skip a requisite amount of times.

Personally I FF through the Olympics I record, in case there is a bit I want to see.. (We're past the events I care about, but I'm still recording at least the prime time events... Even though some people hate them, the stories about the athletes are sometimes interesting.. though it seems like they're doing way fewer of them this time.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
sehale

Thanks all. Good info. I never really noticed those tick marks before and that would explain the variation in the skip - depending on how far I was into each segment, the jump time would change.