TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Gary-B

Series 3 Cablecard Problem

My original Series 3 (Not HD), started rebooting the other day. Figured it was the hard drive and replaced it. That didn't fix the problem, got it narrowed down to if I have a cable card in the top slot, it reboots. Worked over a week with bottom cable card installed.
Anyone have any suggestions, replaced the cable card with a new one with same results.
Thanks
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-B View Post
My original Series 3 (Not HD), started rebooting the other day. Figured it was the hard drive and replaced it. That didn't fix the problem, got it narrowed down to if I have a cable card in the top slot, it reboots. Worked over a week with bottom cable card installed.
Anyone have any suggestions, replaced the cable card with a new one with same results.
Thanks
Go read the wikipedia page on "capacitor plague" and then come back and read the threads on power supply problems.

Sounds like a classic case of just enough power draw to be too much for a failing supply to handle, so the voltage sags, and that resets the CPU, which causes a reboot.

Good news, if it is the power supply, it's probably the capacitors and if you can solder it's a $10 fix.

If you're anywhere near Raleigh I can hook you up with a guy who's got good replacement caps reasonably priced. (You need a better grade than you'll find at Radio Shack).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Thanks
You need to get hold of the manufacturer's diagnostic software and test both those drives.

Always test an old one that might be giving problems and always test a new one before putting it into service.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Gary-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Go read the wikipedia page on "capacitor plague" and then come back and read the threads on power supply problems.

Sounds like a classic case of just enough power draw to be too much for a failing supply to handle, so the voltage sags, and that resets the CPU, which causes a reboot.

Good news, if it is the power supply, it's probably the capacitors and if you can solder it's a $10 fix.

If you're anywhere near Raleigh I can hook you up with a guy who's got good replacement caps reasonably priced. (You need a better grade than you'll find at Radio Shack).

unitron Thanks, no bulging caps but replaced with one from another S3 and it's up and running (just hope it stays that way). Thanks Again.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
unitron Thanks, no bulging caps but replaced with one from another S3 and it's up and running (just hope it stays that way). Thanks Again.
Replaced what with one what?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Gary-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Replaced what with one what?
Power supply from a spare S3.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Power supply from a spare S3.
Well then, I'd say that despite the lack of visual evidence it's quite likely the other PS was going bad, and can probably be fixed inexpensively.