TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
aaronkn

S3 OLED is in perpetual reboot cycle

Yesterday evening our S3 OLED went into an endless reboot cycle. It gives us the "Wait, Powering Up" screen for a couple minutes, and then boots again, with same result. I tried to do a kickstart, but it just reboots to the same cycle after I enter the kickstart code. Does this simply mean that the hard drive is completely dead? Or is it just mostly dead, with a chance of being saved (would hate to lose all those shows)? Is there maybe something else going on with the tivo itself?

The unit has a lifetime sub, and quite honestly I like it much better than our premiere, so I'd like to save it. If it is simply a case of replacing the hard drive and all will be well, does anyone have a disk image for model 648250B, and is it difficult to do? If it is not difficult, I'd rather do it myself to save some cost.

Thank you.
1 2-tuner Premiere
1 Premiere XL4
aaronkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkn View Post
Yesterday evening our S3 OLED went into an endless reboot cycle. It gives us the "Wait, Powering Up" screen for a couple minutes, and then boots again, with same result. I tried to do a kickstart, but it just reboots to the same cycle after I enter the kickstart code. Does this simply mean that the hard drive is completely dead? Or is it just mostly dead, with a chance of being saved (would hate to lose all those shows)? Is there maybe something else going on with the tivo itself?

The unit has a lifetime sub, and quite honestly I like it much better than our premiere, so I'd like to save it. If it is simply a case of replacing the hard drive and all will be well, does anyone have a disk image for model 648250B, and is it difficult to do? If it is not difficult, I'd rather do it myself to save some cost.

Thank you.
First thing is to open it up and inspect the power supply capacitors for bulging, indicating they are failed or failing. Repair or replace the PS and retest.

If no problem found with the power supply.
You can get a new hdd of same size and do a drive to drive bit copy. This will preserve all data, just as it is, so recordings should not be lost.

It's not that difficult to do, if you are comfortable with connecting internal pc drives.

There are aftermarket solutions too; but are more expensive and in some cases all recordings and preferences are lost.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
aaronkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
First thing is to open it up and inspect the power supply capacitors for bulging, indicating they are failed or failing. Repair or replace the PS and retest.

If no problem found with the power supply.
You can get a new hdd of same size and do a drive to drive bit copy. This will preserve all data, just as it is, so recordings should not be lost.

It's not that difficult to do, if you are comfortable with connecting internal pc drives.

There are aftermarket solutions too; but are more expensive and in some cases all recordings and preferences are lost.
Thank you for the response. I will check the capacitors, and hope there is no bulging. I am comfortable with connecting internal pc drives, but am not sure of the process and what I should use, so please pardon my ignorance. I've been doing some searching and found a .TBK file that Unitron had linked a few months ago. I downloaded it but my computer doesn't appear to have anything that recognizes that type of file. Is this something that you use WinMFS to copy to a new drive? My current drive is 500GB, but if I am going to have to get a new drive to image, I'd like to upgrade to a 2TB.

I looked up WinMFS to download that, and it looks like that has not been updated since Jan. 2009. I'm concerned that the instructions there talk about a capacity limit being 1.2TB. So does that mean I can not use WinMFS to image a 2TB drive?

Thanks.
1 2-tuner Premiere
1 Premiere XL4
Old 08-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

What's an "S3 OLED"? Do you mean the original THX certified "TiVo Series3 HD Media Recorder"? TiVo calls that simply "TiVo Series3"--when referring to the other Series 3 models they explicitly say "TiVo HD" or "TiVo HD XL" (as in "Compatible with all TiVo Series3™, TiVo HD/HD XL, and Premiere/Premiere XL/Premiere XL4/Elite boxes").

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
What's an "S3 OLED"? Do you mean the original THX certified "TiVo Series3 HD Media Recorder"? TiVo calls that simply "TiVo Series3"--when referring to the other Series 3 models they explicitly say "TiVo HD" or "TiVo HD XL" (as in "Compatible with all TiVo Series3™, TiVo HD/HD XL, and Premiere/Premiere XL/Premiere XL4/Elite boxes").
Referring to the original "TiVo Series 3 HD" as the "S3 OLED" is very common in this forum.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Referring to the original "TiVo Series 3 HD" as the "S3 OLED" is very common in this forum.
Okay--I'd never seen it before, or at least I never noticed it until it was used in a thread title (and the trademark is "Series3", no space, to be pedantic some more ).

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Teeps

Quote:
My current drive is 500GB, but if I am going to have to get a new drive to image, I'd like to upgrade to a 2TB.
At this point you're out of my knowledge zone.
All I know for sure is:
you can use a 2TB drive (have a 2TB drive in my S3-OLED from DVR_Dude)
You can use a 2TB drive and retain current data (recordings)
I do not know how to do either...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Sometimes you come across a post where someone says "My series 3 Tivo is failing" and it turns out they mean "TivoHD". Their statement is technically correct since the TivoHD is a 'Series 3 platform' Tivo. So it helps when OLED is mentioned. I will add OLED to any post I make to make sure it is known which series 3 Tivo I'm talking about.

Having said that, IIRC there is no DIY 2TB upgrade path available for the Series 3 OLED Tivo. You have to resort to Weaknees or DVR Dude on e-bay.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Having said that, IIRC there is no DIY 2TB upgrade path available for the Series 3 OLED Tivo.
It has reportedly been done. Start at this post. Not sure if anyone has done it directly from an original 250GB drive or not nor how difficult it is. I think the OP should go to that thread and post his problem there.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
An S3 OLED is what I occasionally refer to as a "thermometer front" TiVo.

If someone says OLED, well, there's only one model that's had an OLED display, so that makes it easy to know which one they mean.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Thank you for the response. I will check the capacitors, and hope there is no bulging. I am comfortable with connecting internal pc drives, but am not sure of the process and what I should use, so please pardon my ignorance. I've been doing some searching and found a .TBK file that Unitron had linked a few months ago. I downloaded it but my computer doesn't appear to have anything that recognizes that type of file. Is this something that you use WinMFS to copy to a new drive? My current drive is 500GB, but if I am going to have to get a new drive to image, I'd like to upgrade to a 2TB.

I looked up WinMFS to download that, and it looks like that has not been updated since Jan. 2009. I'm concerned that the instructions there talk about a capacity limit being 1.2TB. So does that mean I can not use WinMFS to image a 2TB drive?

Thanks.
You're talking about 648250b.tbk?

That's for using WinMFS to restore with.

648250b.bak

is for using the MFS Live cd to restore with.

(Even if you don't own a TiVo you should download the .iso file for the image from which to burn a bootable cd-r so as to have this handy for the other stuff on it. Go to mfslive.org Latest version is 1.4. Latest version of WinMFS is the 2009 one.)

There has apparently been some recent success putting 2TB drives in a 648 by a couple of different methods, both of which use WinMFS and maybe something else.

Do you currently have the original drive in that TiVo?

Are there any recordings on it you really, really, really want to try to save?

Search this site from the main forums page

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?

for where we've been talking S3 power supplies and capacitors these past several months to learn about that problem which, if it hasn't happened to your TiVo yet is still hanging over its head like the Sword of Damocles.

After we've ruled out the power supply as the problem, or maybe while we're in the middle of that, we can check your drive.

Go to Western Digital and download the image for making a bootable cd with their diagnostic software on it.

You can get there by taking the model number on the sticker on top of the drive and plugging it into the WD website and searching for it, and clicking on downloads on the left of the page your search takes you to.

Do you have any other spare hard drives lying around?

(and don't capitalize me, it tickles)

Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
HerronScott

Check this thread here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394

I had the same issue with one of my S3 OLED's and my second one has bulging capacitors as well.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #13
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I had the same issue with one of my S3 OLED's and my second one has bulging capacitors as well.
+1 to this. My OLED S3 also recently had the bulging capacitors/reboot loop issue. Here's another thread on the subject of replacing the power supply.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
aaronkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
It has reportedly been done. Start at this post. Not sure if anyone has done it directly from an original 250GB drive or not nor how difficult it is. I think the OP should go to that thread and post his problem there.
That is very promising indeed! Thank you for pointing this thread out.
1 2-tuner Premiere
1 Premiere XL4
Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
aaronkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You're talking about 648250b.tbk?

That's for using WinMFS to restore with.

648250b.bak

is for using the MFS Live cd to restore with.

(Even if you don't own a TiVo you should download the .iso file for the image from which to burn a bootable cd-r so as to have this handy for the other stuff on it. Go to mfslive.org Latest version is 1.4. Latest version of WinMFS is the 2009 one.)

There has apparently been some recent success putting 2TB drives in a 648 by a couple of different methods, both of which use WinMFS and maybe something else.

Do you currently have the original drive in that TiVo?

Are there any recordings on it you really, really, really want to try to save?

Search this site from the main forums page

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?

for where we've been talking S3 power supplies and capacitors these past several months to learn about that problem which, if it hasn't happened to your TiVo yet is still hanging over its head like the Sword of Damocles.

After we've ruled out the power supply as the problem, or maybe while we're in the middle of that, we can check your drive.

Go to Western Digital and download the image for making a bootable cd with their diagnostic software on it.

You can get there by taking the model number on the sticker on top of the drive and plugging it into the WD website and searching for it, and clicking on downloads on the left of the page your search takes you to.

Do you have any other spare hard drives lying around?

(and don't capitalize me, it tickles)
Hi unitron,

Sorry for the capitalization. Habits of a capitalist society, I guess. Yes, I was talking about 648250b.tbk I'll see about getting MFSlive as well.

Have not had a chance to open her up yet, with work and family commitments. Hope to crack it open this weekend. I don't have an original HD for this, as we bought it already upgraded to a 500GB HD. And unfortunately I don't have any spare drives around, except maybe an old 20 or 40GB drive hidden somewhere that was pulled out of a computer. When I open it up I can see if there is any activity whatsoever from the drive. If not, I'm guessing diagnostic software won't apply.

While it hurts to lose the recordings (a couple shows we had multiple seasons saved up), in the grand scheme of things, there are worse things in life. So as long as the box is still working, a new hard drive will not be a terrible thing to have to do. Hopefully the power supply will look good.

Oh, and yes, while this is the only model that Tivo officially labels as the Series3, there have been postings here as well as listings on eBay where people say Series 3 HD only to be referring to the "Tivo HD". So I put OLED to differentiate that this is the original Sneech on the Beach, and those other boxes don't have any stars upon thars.

Thank you everyone for the helpful references in the above postings. Wish me luck.
1 2-tuner Premiere
1 Premiere XL4
Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Hi unitron,

Sorry for the capitalization. Habits of a capitalist society, I guess. Yes, I was talking about 648250b.tbk I'll see about getting MFSlive as well.

Have not had a chance to open her up yet, with work and family commitments. Hope to crack it open this weekend. I don't have an original HD for this, as we bought it already upgraded to a 500GB HD. And unfortunately I don't have any spare drives around, except maybe an old 20 or 40GB drive hidden somewhere that was pulled out of a computer. When I open it up I can see if there is any activity whatsoever from the drive. If not, I'm guessing diagnostic software won't apply.

While it hurts to lose the recordings (a couple shows we had multiple seasons saved up), in the grand scheme of things, there are worse things in life. So as long as the box is still working, a new hard drive will not be a terrible thing to have to do. Hopefully the power supply will look good.

Oh, and yes, while this is the only model that Tivo officially labels as the Series3, there have been postings here as well as listings on eBay where people say Series 3 HD only to be referring to the "Tivo HD". So I put OLED to differentiate that this is the original Sneech on the Beach, and those other boxes don't have any stars upon thars.

Thank you everyone for the helpful references in the above postings. Wish me luck.
Yeah, TiVo kind of muddied the waters by coming out with the 648 and calling it the Series 3 and saying that it was or that it does HD, and then releasing another S3 platform TiVo and calling it the HD.

What you do is you get the manufacturer's diagnostic software and use that to run the long test on the drives while hooked up to a computer whose power supply you know to be good.

With the high failure rate of S2 and S3 power supplies, never assume that the drive is bad until you've tested it independently of the TiVo.

And while you're running those drive tests (always test a new one before putting it into service), you can be closely inspecting the TiVo's power supply for "capacitor plague", since there's a very good chance that it's got it.