TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
truegalbklyn

Help/Thoughts on converting TiVo files

Hey All

Thanks in advance for any answers or thoughts any of you may have about this. I recently downloaded the TiVo desktop and was able to transfer a recording. It was a 30-minute HD recording.

When I uploaded it into my Pavtube video converter and set the upload to a regular avi or even mpeg, the output file size was huge beyond belief- over 150GB. Obviously, setting the output to HD made the size even bigger.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I don't need the output file to be the same quality as the original and I would like the size to be significantly smaller than what I mentioned above. Heck, I don't even have enough GB space on my computer to allow that conversion to go through.

Any thoughts?

*UPDATED IN POST #6*

Last edited by truegalbklyn : 08-09-2012 at 03:11 AM.
truegalbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Use

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tivodecode/
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
truegalbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Use
Eek. Alright, now is when I feel like an idiot.
I clicked on that, downloaded and it opens up a huge winRAR file with many, many different files inside. I haven't a clue which one to open or even how to since when I click on any of them, a window pops up asking me to pick which program to use to open the file.

*sorry about my ignorance on this stuff. Computer smart, I am not.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
zowwie85

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegalbklyn View Post
Eek. Alright, now is when I feel like an idiot.
I clicked on that, downloaded and it opens up a huge winRAR file with many, many different files inside. I haven't a clue which one to open or even how to since when I click on any of them, a window pops up asking me to pick which program to use to open the file.

*sorry about my ignorance on this stuff. Computer smart, I am not.
The learning curve is going to be very steep.

(1) This is not a graphical app with buttons to click and windows that open. It's command line. You'll need to get comfortable enough with the windows command line to navigate through your folders and files to get to the file you transferred. See here --> http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chusedos.htm
(2) You will need to download and install http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=3387 ... and once you've done that, run windows update (restarting if necessary) and continue downloading updates until it tells you there's nothing else critical to install.
(3) The actual app is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tivo...2.zip/download -- it's probably buried in the file you downloaded, but you're better off just deleting that and starting over. There's a lot of extraneous stuff in there you don't need.
(4) This post will demystify what the correct command line should look like: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tivo.../topic/1627014

Best way for a newbie to handle it is put the TivoDecode EXE file in the same directory as your .tivo file you downloaded and learn just enough about the command prompt - specifically the CD "change directory" command to navigate there, then use something like the example in step 4.

I've no idea if the 0.1.4 version will work with the .tivo file from the box you own. There are later versions in the file you downloaded but they're not in a form that can be run on windows. 0.1.4 is the newest (still kind of old too) version available in "easy" to use form.
zowwie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
truegalbklyn

Wow. Thank you very much for taking the time to even write all of that down for me. I agree, the curve is quite steep. But I shall take my time and do my best. I don't give up easy when it comes to computer things and I love to learn so I will take this as a challenge.

Again, many thanks for that.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
truegalbklyn

@zowwie85 and really...anyone else who can help...

After a few hours, I am going to give up for the night. I just can't seem to swing this. I did the following:

a. downloaded the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) and then did a Windows Update and continued to do so (restarting as I went along) until no further updates were available.

b. downloaded the actual app (tivodecode.exe).

c. i moved that app as well as one tivo recording i had to my desktop.

d. i went to start-cmd-cd desktop and then typed in the following...
tivodecode -m (my media access key) -o (a generic name for the output file i wanted ending in .mpg) and then right next to it, the name of the tivo file ending in .TiVo

once i hit enter after doing that, i get the following...
tivodecode.exe has stopped working - windows is looking for a solution to the problem

So, it seems I got the command correct and all and it wants to go through but then I get that error window on the screen as I just described.

*sigh* :/ not a clue what I could be doing wrong.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
jcthorne

First, you are in the wrong forum for the question at hand and likely why you have recieved so little help. Try the Home Media Features section.

Next, if you would rather have a GUI based app that handles download of the files from tivo and decodes them along with quite a few other functions, take a look at kmttg over in the Home Media section of the forum. The setup instructions are pretty simple and it work well. Support is also at had in that forum. It actually uses tivodecode but you don't have to manage it yourself, nor do it one file at a time.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Try this...

http://gmon.me/wordpress/?page_id=7

It's a GUI front end for tivodecode that includes a build of the tivodecode.exe so you don't have to futz with all that other stuff.

However be warned if you have a Premiere TiVo it will not work with files you download via TiVo Desktop unless you first go into TiVo Desktop, click File->Preferences and uncheck the box that says "Use fastest method available..."

When that option is checked it downloads .tivo files in a TS format that tivodecode is not compatible with. With it unchecked it downloads them in a PS format which will work with tivodecode.

Another alternative is to use DirectShowDump or VideoReDo, they both support both types of .tivo files so you don't have to worry about that setting.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
mattack

Get kmttg, it'll do all of the stuff for you (using other tools to do the heavy lifting)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
Doit2it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
However be warned if you have a Premiere TiVo it will not work with files you download via TiVo Desktop unless you first go into TiVo Desktop, click File->Preferences and uncheck the box that says "Use fastest method available..."
Dan
Thank You! I thought I had lost the ability to convert Tivo files when I upgraded to the XL4. All is fine now. Thanks again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote