TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
ghuido

Network COnfiguration

My Routers are starting to die a little. Time to start thinking of replacements.

Here is the current configuration

Dlink DAP - 825
- Primary Router
- Wireless G Network Running on 2.4 Ghz AP

Dlink DAP - 825
- Wireless N Network 5 ghz AP

Dlink DAP - 1522
- Wireless Bridge for TIVO HD and Premiere's

Have been looking at Routers

- Asus Black Diamond RT-N66U
- Netgear N900 Series

Anybody have any thoughts on what they prefer and works best for Bridging.

I know I kow MOCA but where the routers are located is a royal pain in the ass to run a Cable Cord to.

Any advice is appreciated
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
mattack

I don't know much about routers, but I just get the cheap ones from Fry's... you can use ddwrt or tomato on some routers, and some have bridging out of the box. I have two Buffalo ones that do bridging out of the box.. (Yes, I had to get 2 of the same brand, which annoyed me, but the router had died and I wanted it working again NOW.. and the price was under $60 for both, maybe even much less.. sometimes the routers go down to $20ish)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

You can just continue using the DAP1522 units as bridges. I recently got the Asus RT-N56U router and am using the custom firmware. I still use several DAp1522 units as Bridges . Although I'm only using two as an AP now(one at 2.4Ghz and one at 5Ghz). I stopped using three of the DAP1522s as APs since the Asus router works so well for 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi and has Guest WiFi for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Overall it's been working great with my 60+ devices compared to my 5 year old Dlink DGL4500 router. The only issue I had with the Asus router was with my Verizon Femtocell where it will not connect with Verizon. But that seems to be an issue with all the Asus routers and the Verizon Femtocells. I really don't need the Femtocell anymore since I'm using a landline now with FiOS and the cell signal is a little better than it was in 2009.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Stick with a Dual-Band N Router, and set your DAP-1522 to 2.4GHz/5GHz Dual-Band Mode.

Here is a good deal on a refurbished NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAR N600 Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Router - $64.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122470
I was emailed a coupon code for 20% off also, but it said the coupon was account specific, if you have a Newegg account perhaps you received the email too. Subject of the email was Shopping Helper: Customer Loyalty Bonus Coupons!

New - NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS N600 Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Router - $99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122326
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wirele...dp/B002HWRJY4/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
ghuido

Cox in PHX.

Thanks. I'll stick with the Dual Band Router option. Any reason you are using Netgear over Asus/Dlink.

aaronwt

Did you notice any Wireless Signal Strength Improvements using Asus? You using it at 20hz or 40hz? Is the custom firmware process pretty painless?

Also, what is the Verizon FemtoCell? Thanks
Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

I've used a Zyxel WAP3205 as a bridge. Mostly though, since my network is G, I've bought used Linksys WRT54G (the blue ones) routers and re-flashed them with DD-WRT. Got one as my main wireless router and others set up as repeater bridges to give me good household coverage and connections for my Tivos.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
Cox in PHX.

Thanks. I'll stick with the Dual Band Router option. Any reason you are using Netgear over Asus/Dlink.
I am not currently using a Netgear, I just liked their reviews, But I am also looking to upgrade, for a good price. I currently have an aging D-Link DIR-628 "Selective Dual-Band" can only do 2.4GHz or 5GHz one at a time not both (It's been a great router but I did not pay enough attention at the time of purchase to the difference) and am looking for a Simultaneous Dual-Band to also compliment my DAP-1522.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I am not currently using a Netgear, I just liked their reviews, But I am also looking to upgrade, for a good price. I currently have an aging D-Link DIR-628 "Selective Dual-Band" can only do 2.4GHz or 5GHz one at a time not both (It's been a great router but I did not pay enough attention at the time of purchase to the difference) and am looking for a Simultaneous Dual-Band to also compliment my DAP-1522.
The e3000's from linksys work well and can use tomato or dd-wrt
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
scole250

What do you mean by they're starting to die a little? Did they suddenly become problematic? If so, maybe there's new AP in your area interfering with yours. You can change channels or crank up the transmit power, if you have that option.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
ghuido

The best one right now based on reviews that I found is the Asus
RT-N66U

New Egg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320091

Small Net Builder

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...outer-reviewed

Anyobody know the difference between three-stream and two-stream?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
Cox in PHX.

aaronwt

Did you notice any Wireless Signal Strength Improvements using Asus? You using it at 20hz or 40hz? Is the custom firmware process pretty painless?

Also, what is the Verizon FemtoCell? Thanks
Huge improvement with 2.4 Ghz. With my Dlink DGL4500 I even had an external 3 antenna setup connected to it so I could raise it up five or six feet. I could not get a strong signal strength with that throughout my condo, so I used several DAP1522 units to supplement the 2.4Ghz and I used a couple with 5Ghz.

Now with the ASUS, I get 90+ signal strength from my 2.4Ghz devices anywhere in my condo. So I dropped all my 2.4Ghz APs except for one. Since I also use a guest 2.4Ghz from teh ASUS for some of my devices.

For 5Ghz, I didn't see any improvement from the ASus. So I still use one DAp1522 in AP mode for 5Ghz on ther side of my condo. I use 40Mhz for 5Ghz from the Asus and auto 20/40 for 2.4Ghz.

The custom firmware was installed just like the normal ASus firmware. I had no issues installing it.

Thw Verizon Femtocell(or verizon Extender) just connects to your LAN and creates a cell signal and routes the calls over your internet connection instead of going throught the cell tower.

As far as the DAP1522 units in dual band mode. As an AP they can only be set for 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. They can't use both at the same time. I use the same SSIDs for my 5Ghz AP as my 2.4Ghz AP. So if for some reason my Dlink AP for 5Ghz has issues, my media bridges will fall back to the same SSID from the ASUS or another DAP1522 AP at 2.4Ghz.

I considered the RT66U but it was more expensive and I didn't need extra wireless bandwidth since I was also using my Dlink APs. Plus the RT-n56U had been out longer and the firmware was more mature. Plus the custom firmware was farther along. And it also scored better on throughput speeds.

there is also a new model similar to the RT-N56U(an N600 router) called the Asus RT-N65U(an N750 router). Although this one has a dual core CPU, USB 3.0, and N450 speeds at 5Ghz instead of the N300 speeds the RT-N56U has at 5Ghz. The RT-N65U still has N300 speeds at 2.4Ghz.(at least if I remember the info correctly)

here is the newegg page for the RT-N65U

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320131

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-09-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
ghuido

AaronWT thanks for the info.

Think of the RT-N66U right now. The firmware looks to bestable.

The RT-AC66U is a potential option but it looks like the firmware is still tabalizing.

Where do you get the custom firmware for the router? I always use the one provided by the manuf.

HAve you used your DAP-1522 as Bridges connecting to the ASUS Router? Wanted to see if they are compatible.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
Jimbo11

Hello All. New to the forum.
I have the ASUS RT-N66U and a DAP-1522. I cannot for the life of me get the DAP-1522 to pull an IP from the ASUS router.
I've tried resetting it, but no luck.
Any thoughts, anyone?
Jimbo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo11 View Post
Hello All. New to the forum.
I have the ASUS RT-N66U and a DAP-1522. I cannot for the life of me get the DAP-1522 to pull an IP from the ASUS router.
I've tried resetting it, but no luck.
Any thoughts, anyone?
I've always setup my DAP1522 units with a static IP from the menu in the DAP1522 units. Since I need to make sure the IP address never changes so I can always access them whether in AP or Bridge mode. Plus I will sometimes use them at my GFs house as well and I set up her router to match my network at home.

Also if I need to access them with a direct connection from a PC, I only have to change my PC IP addresses to match what I use for my DAP1522 units and I can easily access it. I use DHCP reservations for many of my other devices but I've never used it for my DAP1522 units.

My DAP1522 units have had no issues working with my ASUS router, either in Bridge mode or AP mode.

But I am also using the custom firmware. I was initially using the official and then the Beta Asus firmware. But I ran into an issue with my Boxee Boxes. They would only work with the Asus router with the EZQoS. And enabling that would turn off the hardware NAT. SO with the custom firmware my Boxee Box would work fine along with the Hardware NAT being on. Although I don't think the custom firmware has the EZQoS. But the Hardware NAT is one of the reasons I wanted this router. With it turned off there is a noticeable difference in webpage loading.

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-10-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
ghuido

All my DAP-1522 use Static IP address. Never had a problem with them. I have both Rev A1 and B1 setup in Bridge Mode.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #16
Jimbo11

thanx for the replies.
got it figured out...
had to turn on the WPA function on the router
Jimbo11 is offline   Reply With Quote