TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #91
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
As long as you don't announce routes into the internet, no one can really stop you from using whatever address you choose behind a firewall, but using a routable address is really not a good idea, and it serves no purpose whatsoever. The fact it was used in China in the 1990s does not mean that is the case today, or tomorrow. You should choose a nonroutable subnet.

There are more than plenty of nonroutable addresses. In 1994, RFC 1597 specifically set aside nonroutable addresses that will never be assigned anywhere on the internet, and it is these that should be used for private networks. It provides for up to 65,534 addresses in the range from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.255.254, or 1,048,574 addresses in the range from 172.16.0.1 to 172.31.255.254, or 268,435,454 addresses in the range from 10.0.0.1 to 10.255.255.254. These ranges can be divvied up into subnets of 2, 14, 62, 254 (the most common), 1022, 4094, all the way up to 65,534 hosts for the 192.168/16 net, and far more for the others. I'm sure close to 270 million addresses is more than enough for your home LAN.
It's still used in China. I have no intention of ever changing them since I'm so used to using them over the years. They have never caused me any issues since I have no need to access Chinese websites since I can't read Chinese. If I ever start having some kind of issue then I will be forced to use them. I also use this IP address range at my GFs house. Since it makes it easier when I move devices back and forth between both locations.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #92
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's still used in China. I have no intention of ever changing them since I'm so used to using them over the years. They have never caused me any issues since I have no need to access Chinese websites since I can't read Chinese. If I ever start having some kind of issue then I will be forced to use them. I also use this IP address range at my GFs house. Since it makes it easier when I move devices back and forth between both locations.
As I said, it is a poor idea, but no one can force you to stop, unless you inadvertently announce a route into the internet. Of course, you will have to change before too long anyway in order to comply with IPv6.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #93
BigJimOutlaw

According to some folks on DSLReports, HBO and Cinemax are starting to get turned over to 0x02.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #94
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
According to some folks on DSLReports, HBO and Cinemax are starting to get turned over to 0x02.
Yes, I see it showing up here on VHO4 now for Cinemax. When accessing the TiVo from another box it only shows play as the option for the Cinemax recordings.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #95
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

So if I have 1 TivoHD & 1 Tivo Premiere this means I won't be able to transfer/watch HBO & Cinemax shows from one unit to another?
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #96
am95

I can confirm the unfortunate news that HBO is now 0x02, for me at least. It also seems to be apply to all the HBO stations. I was hoping for a miracle that maybe HBO 2 wouldn't be for some reason.

For what's it worth, I remember when I had my Motorola box where HBO has always shown up at 0x02 but during HBO free preview weekends it would chance to 0x00 so maybe the same thing will apply here.

Last edited by am95 : 08-08-2012 at 11:35 AM.
am95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #97
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
So if I have 1 TivoHD & 1 Tivo Premiere this means I won't be able to transfer/watch HBO & Cinemax shows from one unit to another?
Exactly.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #98
aaronwt
HD Addict

Time to upgrade the TiVoHD to a Premiere.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #99
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Quote:
With lifetime on HD it is tough to spend money for just ability to stream on the RARE occasion I would even want to. (for 2 channels only)
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #100
tivohaydon

If I didn't have 50% off of all premium channels I'd drop HBO and Cinemax. But right now it makes absolutely no sense for me to do that.
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #101
jwebby

Quote:
Originally Posted by am95 View Post
I can confirm the unfortunate news that HBO is now 0x02, for me at least. It also seems to be apply to all the HBO stations. I was hoping for a miracle that maybe HBO 2 wouldn't be for some reason.

For what's it worth, I remember when I had my Motorola box where HBO has always shown up at 0x02 but during HBO free preview weekends it would chance to 0x00 so maybe the same thing will apply here.
Where are you located? Is HBO the only channels at 0x02?
jwebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #102
aaronwt
HD Addict

HBO and cinemax.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #103
dallastx

I've got fios in Dallas and I'm getting a "transfer interrupted" error using tivo desktop when trying to copy a show recorded from the local cbs affiliate chan 11. The show is not marked as copy protected and the copy seems to start, but the error occurs very quickly.

Is this normal now? I've never installed pyTivo, but I was wondering if it could still copy programs.
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #104
lrhorer

Quote:
First of all, I consider that a significant downgrade. Secondly, that does not allow one to transfer anything anywhere that cannot be done with a THD. The ownership of two or more premiers allows one to stream from one to the other, not to transfer. A Premier cannot transfer copy protected material. Since I have almost no use whatsoever for streaming but a vast need for transferring, this would certainly be an issue for me - a major one. OTOH, anyone who owns an S3 or a THD can, if they choose to make the effort, see to it they can transfer those programs to anything, including a Premier.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #105
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
First of all, I consider that a significant downgrade. ............
After using my GFs S3 boxes(OLED) a bunch over the last couple of days, I was reminded about how much better I like the Premieres when running the HDUI and how much I hate using the SDUI.
I definitely think the Premiere is a nice upgrade over the S3 boxes. Plus it takes what seems forever to transfer content between two S3 boxes,. And her S3 boxes transfer faster than the S3 TiVoHD boxes, but it is still dog slow.

I really wish she would have taken a couple of the launch Premieres I had . But at the time they could not be expanded and she wanted to have a 1TB drive in it. And at the time she didn't want the interface to change. And after 18 years seeing her I know it's futile to try to change her mind. So instead I sold those launch lifetime Premieres and let her keep the lifetime S3 boxes. Which fortunately are still working well and will be six years old this December.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #106
agredon

For me at least, they're better off not protecting. I and I'm sure many others get premium channels for that 1 or 2 shows that you like. Now, if they make it too much a PITA, I might simply buy the Blu-Ray, or iTunes versions and not subscribe. If I subscribe, they get $10-20/month, which works out to $120-240/year. For that, I could buy 2-6 seasons on Blu-Ray or iTunes. Plus, if I cut my subscription, I'm less likely to become interested in their future shows and thus less likely to buy them on Blu-Ray or iTunes. Not to mention, if I subscribe and am happy, I'm likely to continue subscribing, which means they keep getting my money every month.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #107
swarto112

Quote:
After using my GFs S3 boxes(OLED) a bunch over the last couple of days, I was reminded about how much better I like the Premieres when running the HDUI and how much I hate using the SDUI.
I definitely think the Premiere is a nice upgrade over the S3 boxes. Plus it takes what seems forever to transfer content between two S3 boxes,. And her S3 boxes transfer faster than the S3 TiVoHD boxes, but it is still dog slow.

I really wish she would have taken a couple of the launch Premieres I had . But at the time they could not be expanded and she wanted to have a 1TB drive in it. And at the time she didn't want the interface to change. And after 18 years seeing her I know it's futile to try to change her mind. So instead I sold those launch lifetime Premieres and let her keep the lifetime S3 boxes. Which fortunately are still working well and will be six years old this December.
i noticed y xl3 pulling from my hd xl iver a wifi g pulls fast then expected
swarto112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #108
waynomo
My One Time

Wow. Just discovering this. Not happy at all. I often archive a whole season (or two) and watch at once. I won't be able to do this with TiVo anymore.

Seems like Verizon is more than happy to obey HBO's wishes. It diminishes TiVo value and makes Verizon's set top boxes and DVRs more valuable. I assume all the content I want is available via HBOGO via those vehicles.

I need to figure out to do. Perhaps drop HBO.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #109
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
...makes Verizon's set top boxes and DVRs more valuable.
How? Can you copy HBO onto your computer from a Verizon STB?

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 09-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #110
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by agredon View Post
For me at least, they're better off not protecting. [...] Not to mention, if I subscribe and am happy, I'm likely to continue subscribing, which means they keep getting my money every month.
Copy protection was never about doing what's right for paying customers.

Just remember that

And even knowing that, they still cling to it. Bah! Apple/iTunes and the music industry have shown them that if you offer reasonable choices, people will pay and you will make more than if you treat everyone as a criminal as your starting point.

I guess the issue is the music industry still thinks Apple "tricked" them and is still in denial. I think many in the music industry look fondly at the MPAA with jealousy and think "we could be making that much more if we still had copy protection"....

Sigh....
Tivo HD - On the way out the door
DocNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #111
mattack

Yeah, I don't see how it makes their own DVRs more valuable.. Isn't Tivo the only standalone DVR that even allows ANY copying to computer? (Obviously I'm not counting WMC machines since they're essentially PCs, not standalone consumer boxes.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #112
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yeah, I don't see how it makes their own DVRs more valuable...
It doesn't.

What they are doing makes TiVo look less attractive, therefore driving customers to use their "in house" DVR.

Why would the average consumer pay extra for TiVo when it is castrated down to the level of the "free" cable company DVR?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #113
aaronwt
HD Addict

The problem is the "free" cable DVR is now around $17 a month from FiOS and Comcast in my area.
Just to get a non DVR STB from FiOS is now $12 or $13 a month. It's certainly much cheaper for me using TiVos.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #114
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Why would the average consumer pay extra for TiVo when it is castrated down to the level of the "free" cable company DVR?
Being able to copy subscription premium content like HBO onto your PC isn't the only thing that makes TiVo superior to the "free" cable DVR. For one thing, being able copy most everything else recorded from any of hundreds of channels onto a PC is something that you can't do with a Verizon DVR.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #115
glug0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
...being able copy most everything else recorded from any of hundreds of channels onto a PC is something that you can't do with a Verizon DVR.
As long as the CCI allows it you can record the transport stream from the STB over firewire. iirc they're mandated to support it.
glug0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #116
tjtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by glug0 View Post
As long as the CCI allows it you can record the transport stream from the STB over firewire. iirc they're mandated to support it.
That's exactly the point...they are setting the CCI such that it does not allow you to transfer OR record from firewire.
tjtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #117
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glug0 View Post
Not with anything approaching the ease of copying a recording over your LAN from a TiVo. To do what you're talking about you have to record the firewire output in real time while playing a recording; copying a recording from a TiVo can be as easy as downloading a file from a link on a web page, no extra cabling required and you can do it onto a computer physically located anywhere on your LAN. It's possible, but I think that Jill and Joe Average would find archiving recordings onto their computers over 1394 to be challenging to say the least.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 09-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #118
glug0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Not with anything approaching the ease of copying a recording over your LAN from a TiVo. To do what you're talking about you have to record the firewire output in real time while playing a recording; copying a recording from a TiVo can be as easy as downloading a file from a link on a web page, no extra cabling required and you can do it onto a computer physically located anywhere on your LAN. It's possible, but I think that Jill and Joe Average would find archiving recordings onto their computers over 1394 to be challenging to say the least.
Yeah, it can be a challenge to set it up on a PC. But it's pretty straight forward on a mac; they typically come with firewire and the program to record is included in the sdk.

On my cable system, tivo transfers are useless. Most channels have multiple audio tracks and tivo transfers don't just automatically use the default audio track selected on the tivo. I want to record the same audio/video you'd see on the tivo/stb. I get that with the stb but not the tivo. I've reported this to tivo and the people I spoke with classified it as a feature request rather than a bug... My only alternative is to change cable systems and hope this issue doesn't surface with them.
glug0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #119
am95

Just to give a heads up, HBO is having a free weekend preview from the 14th-17th and the CCI byte is currently set to 0x00 (copy freely).
am95 is offline   Reply With Quote