TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
siratfus

How to turn off visibility of PC to TIVO?

One of our notebooks keeps dropping internet connections. To see if it's a wireless card issue, we turned off the wireless card and used a usb wireless adapter and still connections keep dropping. I've heard that sharing can create these issues, so I'm trying to turn off all sharing. I have one PC that keeps showing up in TIVO's NOW SHOWING list. I want to turn this pc off but don't know how.

I've searched everywhere in the Network and Sharing section of Windows 7 and can't figure where to turn whatever it is that I need to turn off. Can anybody who knows there way around windows 7 help me navigate to whereever it is that i need to go to and turn off so that the TIVO can't see it?

Thank you in advance!
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
One of our notebooks keeps dropping internet connections. To see if it's a wireless card issue, we turned off the wireless card and used a usb wireless adapter and still connections keep dropping. I've heard that sharing can create these issues, so I'm trying to turn off all sharing. I have one PC that keeps showing up in TIVO's NOW SHOWING list. I want to turn this pc off but don't know how.

I've searched everywhere in the Network and Sharing section of Windows 7 and can't figure where to turn whatever it is that I need to turn off. Can anybody who knows there way around windows 7 help me navigate to whereever it is that i need to go to and turn off so that the TIVO can't see it?

Thank you in advance!
What TiVo server s/w are you running on the PC? If it is TiVo Desktop, you should be able to stop the server.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
siratfus

I'm not running anything tivo software.

We're all on the same network. Something is enabled on my pc that allows the tivo to see it.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If the wireless connections keep dropping, it usually is because of interference on the wireless channel. Other wireless networks on the same channel, microwaves, cordless phones, etc on the 2.4 Ghz. Try setting on another channel on the wireless router, channels 1, 6, & 11.

There needs to be a server program running on the computer in order for it to show up on a Tivo playlist, such as Tivo Desktop, PyTivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'm not running anything tivo software.

We're all on the same network. Something is enabled on my pc that allows the tivo to see it.
A TiVO cannot "see" a computer, even if it is on the same network, unless there is s/w such as TiVo Desktop or pyTivo running on the PC.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
siratfus

I'm an idiot, you guys are absolutely right. I simply forgot I had installed the desktop software to try a transfer. Decided I didn't need it. That was months ago. It's launching whenever windows launching. Just shut it off. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
A TiVO cannot "see" a computer, even if it is on the same network, unless there is s/w such as TiVo Desktop or pyTivo running on the PC.
Doesn't that computer also have to have had the TiVo's MAK entered into that program at some point to inform the TiVo that it's permitted to have anything to do with the PC?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Doesn't that computer also have to have had the TiVo's MAK entered into that program at some point to inform the TiVo that it's permitted to have anything to do with the PC?
Possible, but the point was, as the OP discovered, something has to be running on the PC for there to be any chance that the TiVo will see it.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
siratfus

My internet for one of our notebook is still dropping connections. The tivo was not the culprit. I've tried switching channels too in our router website, and it's still dropping. Will continue to see other channels.

It's strange, only 1 notebook is dropping connections. It's running windows 7, and we have verizon fios. I updated the verizon router's firmware too, but the latest update they have is pretty old too. This router was from 2009, you guys think it's the router?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Possible, but the point was, as the OP discovered, something has to be running on the PC for there to be any chance that the TiVo will see it.
I was just batting around the idea of whether it could be something unauthorized pretending to be TDT, but I'm pretty sure I've convinced myself that's a non-starter.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
My internet for one of our notebook is still dropping connections. The tivo was not the culprit. I've tried switching channels too in our router website, and it's still dropping. Will continue to see other channels.

It's strange, only 1 notebook is dropping connections. It's running windows 7, and we have verizon fios. I updated the verizon router's firmware too, but the latest update they have is pretty old too. This router was from 2009, you guys think it's the router?
Give EVERYTHING a fixed IP address, and reboot EVERYTHING.

See if the problem persists.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Possibly.

I had a Linksys WRT54G for years, and when I got an IP camera, it was dropping the video on more occasions then most. I recently changed the router and I can view from an IP camera all day long without the connection breaking. (but this is OT.)

Interference is the most likely culprit. The router may be on its last legs also.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
siratfus

How exactly do you set a static/fixed IP? I'v heard of this before, but never quite sure what that means. I've always let things "automatically" set. I mean does giving a fixed IP mean making up your own numbers?

In case anybody is wondering, I turned off the wireless card to the notebook and used a spare usb wireless adapter. It too was dropping connections. So the internal wireless card is not the culprit either.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #14
siratfus

Well, I checked out the TCP/IP of all my computers. The irony is this, the one with the issue is the only one that is set to static, the radial dial is on the "USE THIS IP ADDRESS" and "USE THIS DNS SERVER ADDRESS."

All the other pcs are set to obtain automatically. So I changed it to obtain automatically and it's still dropping. I'm pulling my hair out!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #15
siratfus

Well if anybody ever has this similar issue to the point of pulling out your hair. CHECK YOUR VIRUS PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

The culprit was my Macafee. With the last internet drop, I decided to run a full scan to see if I had any viruses. When the scan was complete, I had a pop-up that informed me that my firewall was off, which I find strange because it was never off. So I clicked it back on and I noticed the internet status bar reacted and connected again. That was very strange because when this issue began, the only way to get internet back has always been to restart.

So I figured Macafee is the culprit. It probably went through an update that has caused everything to go whack. I'm on the 3rd year of a 3 year subscription, so I never expected it to be the culprit. I uninstalled it and installed AVG free.

Everything is working fine!