TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
casa69

been having some bad tivo luck lately

So last week my series 2 DT when I turned the TV on was video frozen. What I mean by that is there was a picture of a show and not moving. None of the remote buttons did anything to affect the condition. So I unplugged and rebooted the unit. It started working again after the reboot, but did show some signs of temporary freezing w/some pixelation. I only watched TV for a short time, maybe an hour, and it froze and pixelated a few times. Annoying yes, but it otherwise worked. Shut the TV off to sleep and when I woke in the morning turned on the TV to watch the morning news it was frozen again. I rebooted it and it worked again before I left for work. After work it was frozen again. Another reboot and it was frozen within the hour. I assumed the hard drive was failing. It has the original drive and an upgrade drive. I took the cover off and it was caked with dirt especially on the upgrade drive aux fan so I took it to work and used the compressed air to blow it out clean. I grabbed my series 2 single tuner and hooked it up (it hasn't been hooked up since Nov last year and worked when disconnected) It wouldn't even fire up. I took the cover off of it too and it had some dirt build up also and I blew it out clean too. I think the power supply is bad because the green light didn't even come on. It still wouldn't fire up. After doing some research found out about "capacitor plague". Now here's the odd thing, The DT HAD "capacitor plague" but acted like a dying hard drive, but the ST didn't have it but acted like a bad power supply!
I think I'm going to replace the power supply in both to start with and see if that cures the problems with them. I was going to swap power supplies but found out even though they look similar they aren't the same and therefore not swappable. I found power supplies for both on ebay considerably cheaper than weaknees has them for. If it fixes them both great! If not then it's a good thing I don't have lifetime subs on them.
I then went back farther and grabbed my series 1 svr2000 and plugged it in.......IT still works! with no phone line at my house, I put a Turbonet card in it a few years back, and after receiving a 50' ethernet cable in the mail today, plugged it into my network, activated the box (after successfully making a test call) I now have up to date guide data!
So in the span of a week, I went from 4 working TiVo's to 2! Good thing I only have 2 TV's setup. I do have another working TV but don't have it set up right now. I down graded since my ex-fiance' and her daughter moved out.
I do have another svr2000 and I think a Turbonet card might fix it too because I burned out the modem in 03 trying to upgrade to an Airnet card. I'm just not sure if it did any other damage too. It did still work as a manual recorder though.
I also tried putting the 2 large hard drives in the svr2000 from the first svr2000 that I upgraded but when it powered up I got GSOD loop, so I had to put the original drive back in. I'm going to redo the large drives with a fresh image and see if that gets them going again.
I'm just happy to have 2 TV's and 2 TiVo's again.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa69 View Post
So last week my series 2 DT when I turned the TV on was video frozen. What I mean by that is there was a picture of a show and not moving. None of the remote buttons did anything to affect the condition. So I unplugged and rebooted the unit. It started working again after the reboot, but did show some signs of temporary freezing w/some pixelation. I only watched TV for a short time, maybe an hour, and it froze and pixelated a few times. Annoying yes, but it otherwise worked. Shut the TV off to sleep and when I woke in the morning turned on the TV to watch the morning news it was frozen again. I rebooted it and it worked again before I left for work. After work it was frozen again. Another reboot and it was frozen within the hour. I assumed the hard drive was failing. It has the original drive and an upgrade drive. I took the cover off and it was caked with dirt especially on the upgrade drive aux fan so I took it to work and used the compressed air to blow it out clean. I grabbed my series 2 single tuner and hooked it up (it hasn't been hooked up since Nov last year and worked when disconnected) It wouldn't even fire up. I took the cover off of it too and it had some dirt build up also and I blew it out clean too. I think the power supply is bad because the green light didn't even come on. It still wouldn't fire up. After doing some research found out about "capacitor plague". Now here's the odd thing, The DT HAD "capacitor plague" but acted like a dying hard drive, but the ST didn't have it but acted like a bad power supply!
I think I'm going to replace the power supply in both to start with and see if that cures the problems with them. I was going to swap power supplies but found out even though they look similar they aren't the same and therefore not swappable. I found power supplies for both on ebay considerably cheaper than weaknees has them for. If it fixes them both great! If not then it's a good thing I don't have lifetime subs on them.
I then went back farther and grabbed my series 1 svr2000 and plugged it in.......IT still works! with no phone line at my house, I put a Turbonet card in it a few years back, and after receiving a 50' ethernet cable in the mail today, plugged it into my network, activated the box (after successfully making a test call) I now have up to date guide data!
So in the span of a week, I went from 4 working TiVo's to 2! Good thing I only have 2 TV's setup. I do have another working TV but don't have it set up right now. I down graded since my ex-fiance' and her daughter moved out.
I do have another svr2000 and I think a Turbonet card might fix it too because I burned out the modem in 03 trying to upgrade to an Airnet card. I'm just not sure if it did any other damage too. It did still work as a manual recorder though.
I also tried putting the 2 large hard drives in the svr2000 from the first svr2000 that I upgraded but when it powered up I got GSOD loop, so I had to put the original drive back in. I'm going to redo the large drives with a fresh image and see if that gets them going again.
I'm just happy to have 2 TV's and 2 TiVo's again.
This is the first I've heard of Dual Tuner S2s having a cap problem.

You can probably do the repairs yourself for about $10 in parts per power supply.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
casa69

I found a replacement ps for under $20 on ebay
Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
I found a replacement ps for under $20 on ebay
For the DT?

Not bad.

The thing about fixing it yourself is you know from then on whether it's got reliable, high-quality high-temp, low ESR caps on the +5 V and +12V output rails or not.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
casa69

bought the power supply for the DT this morning. $15 w/free shipping. I'll wait to buy the power supply for the ST cause it's not a timed auction like the DT unit was, I wasn't using the ST at the time, the seller has multiple, and it's only $17 w/free shipping. money is tight right now.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
tootal2

I think you have a hard drive problem
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
casa69

we'll see about that!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
casa69

So I got my new 2 me power supply in the mail today. I installed it and plugged it in. Had a whiny aux fan but after tugging on the power wires the whine went away. Works for me. It's been 15 min now and it's still going ............................Hold up. I just looked at it in the middle of this post and it's doing the same thing. seems it's a bad drive as tootal2 suggested. If I had any luck, it would be bad luck! You'll never catch me playing the lottery. lol
Old 08-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
So I got my new 2 me power supply in the mail today. I installed it and plugged it in. Had a whiny aux fan but after tugging on the power wires the whine went away. Works for me. It's been 15 min now and it's still going ............................Hold up. I just looked at it in the middle of this post and it's doing the same thing. seems it's a bad drive as tootal2 suggested. If I had any luck, it would be bad luck! You'll never catch me playing the lottery. lol
Shoot me a PM if you need an image for the S2DT.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
casa69

here's the link to my tivo woes. pic's included
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...17#post9226217
Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
here's the link to my tivo woes. pic's included
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...17#post9226217

Both of those power supplies have a bad cap.

Until that's fixed, you can't be sure of any diagnosis.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
casa69

I was hoping that the used ps would be good. I don't feel comfortable with doing my own soldering but at this point I have nothing to lose if I try. Is the info to order the cap on the old cap as far as voltage, amps, and frequency?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
I was hoping that the used ps would be good. I don't feel comfortable with doing my own soldering but at this point I have nothing to lose if I try. Is the info to order the cap on the old cap as far as voltage, amps, and frequency?
You want the same uF number.

That's microFarads.

You want the same or slightly higher voltage rating as printed on the cap to be replaced.

If it says 10V, get a 10 or a 16.

If it says 16V, get a 16 or a 25.

You want a replacement rated for 105 degrees centigrade, not 85 degrees.

You want one that specifically advertises itself as low ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance)

It's not going to have a specific frequency rating on it.

You aren't going to find that kind of capacitor at Radio Shack, and you probably won't find anyone working there who knows what you're talking about, assuming you find someone there who even has a clue what a capacitor looks like.

You could try any nearby electronics repair shops and ask if they have low ESR caps in stock for switch-mode power supplies.

If they do, show them the supply and the cap and ask how much to have them unsolder the old one and solder in a new one.

If they want $5 for just the cap itself, they're making a pretty good markup on it, but you'll have it right then and you can go back to Radio Shack for soldering supplies.*

If they'll do the repair for $35 total, try to get a package deal on both repairs for no more than an extra $10.

You're paying them for their time and for knowing what to do as well as the price of the part, and that's time they can't spend on a repair on which they'll make a lot of money, so don't just assume they're out to cheat you.

*If you wind up doing the soldering yourself, come back here and ask before buying any soldering stuff.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
casa69

I talked to a guy just few mins ago that does TV repair and I'm gonna take the ps buy his house tues and see if he can replace the cap for me. I'll let u know how that turns out.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
casa69

He's gonna replace the cap for me for $7. I'll pick it up tomorrow and install it.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
casa69

Picked up the ps. He installed a 16v 1000mf cap. He tested the old cap and it was at 300 something mf so it was definitely bad. I gave him $8. I installed it, and everything was going good for a while but it froze again. Prolly gonna replace both drives with a single big drive. That'll have to wait a while tho as money is REAL tight!
Now I gotta get the other ps for the st and test it to find out whats wrong with it.