TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
noone3000

TiVo Premiere menus- why can't they all look good?

I have noticed that when you drill into a menu, such as to the Season Pass sub-menu, the text and lettering gets real large. They look like SD menus up converted to HD. Why can't they make it all look congruent?
noone3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
compnurd

Tivo is still in the process of converting them.. Many threads here on that. I believe almost all of them will be done in the Fall Update
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I'd be happy if they weren't still laggy and buggy on my Elite after the fall update. Losing pause/resume points and locking up in SD sub-menus led to a quick switch back to SDUI for me. That sucked, because I really like the new guide in HD.

My guess is that the HDUI will never be fast enough, however, even if they fix the bugs and update all the menus. Using Flash on the existing hardware was the wrong choice, or the programmers don't know how to tune code to make it run better.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
noone3000

Fall Update, eh?

I'll have to look into that.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I'd be happy if they weren't still laggy and buggy on my Elite after the fall update. Losing pause/resume points and locking up in SD sub-menus led to a quick switch back to SDUI for me. That sucked, because I really like the new guide in HD.

My guess is that the HDUI will never be fast enough, however, even if they fix the bugs and update all the menus. Using Flash on the existing hardware was the wrong choice, or the programmers don't know how to tune code to make it run better.
Sorry you are having those issues but i have been running the HDUI since September and have had no issues on my 2 premieres
Old 08-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
BigJimOutlaw

The To Do list, Season Pass Manager, and the (multi-room) My Shows screens will be updated next.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

I really can't believe it's taken them so long. The Premiere was released over 2 years ago. I understood why they had to release it half finished, (they had a deadline) but why has it taken them 2+ years to update the other screens. Heck until the update that just hit in Jan/Feb of this year nothing had really changed at all since the initial release. I'm glad to see that they seem to be back on track, but I still wonder why it took so long.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Sorry you are having those issues but i have been running the HDUI since September and have had no issues on my 2 premieres
Been running them on 3 premieres also and they are quite slow compared to the SD menus or HD menus of other providers like directv.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

I think you are correct. The processor is a dog that will never be speedy in HD menus.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
Davedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
Been running them on 3 premieres also and they are quite slow compared to the SD menus or HD menus of other providers like directv.
I am sorry but I have to disagree about Directv. I just left them after 10 years because their DVRs would not respond for up to 20 seconds after a remote key press. I had 3 HR21s and they were so frustrating, their firmware was so buggy. I now have 3 premieres and I love them! They are very fast for me in HD menus and full of great features. My whole family is glad we switched.
Davedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
compnurd

I love Direct TV also but there new HD Interface is horribly slow. LOTS of complaints over at dbstalk.com on all HR models the HD interface is slower than the old
Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #12
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davedude View Post
I am sorry but I have to disagree about Directv. I just left them after 10 years because their DVRs would not respond for up to 20 seconds after a remote key press. I had 3 HR21s and they were so frustrating, their firmware was so buggy. I now have 3 premieres and I love them! They are very fast for me in HD menus and full of great features. My whole family is glad we switched.
'Very fast' and 'HD menus' don't belong in the same sentence for any Premiere. But compared to the buggy D* DVRs, yeah I guess you could say that based on your experience.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
BigJimOutlaw

It's unfortunate, because the January update actually brought a fair bit of additional performance to the Premiere (it wasn't great but it was enough to convince me to switch to the HDUI). But then they basically took 50% of the gains back with the May update for some reason. Ugh. The Elite in particular is a bit of a slog.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #14
Adaptel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I really can't believe it's taken them so long. The Premiere was released over 2 years ago. I understood why they had to release it half finished, (they had a deadline) but why has it taken them 2+ years to update the other screens. Heck until the update that just hit in Jan/Feb of this year nothing had really changed at all since the initial release. I'm glad to see that they seem to be back on track, but I still wonder why it took so long.

Dan
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. It really seems like every once & a while Tivo decides its product is embarrasingly lacking in many areas, hires some temp programmers, adds a few new features.....but never finishes anything and leaves all functionality half-done. I just realized that i have personally paid tivo $2500.00 in monthly fees over the years and spent another $2000.00 in purchasing their hardware. I have to ask myself...is it worth it? Will there ever be a point where I can say WOW, this is a great product? They seem to have good intentions, but can never pull it all together in the execution (like the new XFinity OnDemand feature). I was excited about this, but there are sooooooooo many bugs and quirks with it...don't get me started! I will go on the record ot say that 2 years from now, the OnDemand "Search" feature still won't work.
Adaptel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #15
noone3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaptel View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. It really seems like every once & a while Tivo decides its product is embarrasingly lacking in many areas, hires some temp programmers, adds a few new features.....but never finishes anything and leaves all functionality half-done. I just realized that i have personally paid tivo $2500.00 in monthly fees over the years and spent another $2000.00 in purchasing their hardware. I have to ask myself...is it worth it? Will there ever be a point where I can say WOW, this is a great product? They seem to have good intentions, but can never pull it all together in the execution (like the new XFinity OnDemand feature). I was excited about this, but there are sooooooooo many bugs and quirks with it...don't get me started! I will go on the record ot say that 2 years from now, the OnDemand "Search" feature still won't work.
I'd say it's in this state because TiVo has no competition pushing them to improve and compete.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone3000 View Post
I'd say it's in this state because TiVo has no competition pushing them to improve and compete.
I dont think that is true. Direct TV has updated there GUI, So has Verizon and Comcast and cablevision are next
Old 08-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
noone3000

I just saw this in another post which hints that there will only be 2 menus converted to HD, Grid Guide and Live Guide.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r273...-we-are-going-

So it sounds like Wish Lists and my main beef, multi-room tivo selection, will NOT be in HD.

Let's hope this post indicates only of changes for the RCN TiVo, and that more changes are planned for the public Tivo Premiere.

Bummer.

Last edited by noone3000 : 08-06-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
jrtroo
User

Read the software versions.

Tivo has been updating ahead of RCN updates. It appears RCN units are basically getting the new guide interface that everyone with a purchased Tivo has had for months.

The "fall update" is different, it is Tivo updating software for owned units. I assume RCN will get that eventually.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
SWFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone3000 View Post
I guess if you don't include all the DVR's the cable companies have as competition then you'd be correct.

However I do include those all as competition. Tivo needs a product that blows those out of the water, otherwise if its just a little better customers will just opt for the crap-box the cable provider provides for $10/mo or free.

Captain Kirk: "Once again we've saved civilization as we know it."
Dr. McCoy: "And the good news is they're not going to prosecute."
SWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
noone3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFan View Post
I guess if you don't include all the DVR's the cable companies have as competition then you'd be correct.

However I do include those all as competition. Tivo needs a product that blows those out of the water, otherwise if its just a little better customers will just opt for the crap-box the cable provider provides for $10/mo or free.
Good point I hadn't earlier considered.

Still, Comcast in my area charges 16.95 per HD DVR rental. If I could rent one for $10/month, I probably would.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

I could have had a free DVR from FiOS. That's nowhere near enough of an incentive for me to use it though. They would need to pay me alot each month(like free service and more) to use it and actually rely on it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #22
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I could have had a free DVR from FiOS. That's nowhere near enough of an incentive for me to use it though. They would need to pay me alot each month(like free service and more) to use it and actually rely on it.

I agree. My cable company uses that I Guide POS. I could care less how fast it was. it sucked.