TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #4171
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Would it be practical to add the first aired date to the descriptions in the NPL lists?
Probably not. OAD doesn't appear to be one of the fields returned by the NPL query.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #4172
lrhorer

Yeah, you're right. Damn. A query to the net could work and it could be scraped from there, but it might be rather frail and a pain to code.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #4173
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeters59 View Post
Subject kinda says it all...

I'm using Windows7/XBMC as a Home Theater Machine for my daughters TV.
Try recoding to something else. You also might try using something other than Windows.

Quote:
Many shows that come off of The Disney Channel, among others, just really won't play. They skip/stutter and CPU usage goes very high.
On the server or the client? You don't mention what sort of client.

Quote:
Is it just a codec issue? How should I change that?
Since you don't tell us what codec you are using, it's hard to say.

Quote:
I finally went ahead and paid Tivo for their Desktop software, but that had basically no effect.
Well, there's a shock.

Quote:
Any ideas? What should I try next?
Try giving us more information. You haven't given us much with which to work.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #4174
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. Damn. A query to the net could work and it could be scraped from there, but it might be rather frail and a pain to code.
No need to go to the net. You could get it from the TiVo but you'd have to get the metadata for each recording in the list. Doable but probably not worth the additional overhead.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #4175
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
No need to go to the net. You could get it from the TiVo but you'd have to get the metadata
Oh, that's right, isn't it? Retrieving the metadata can be a separate process. So maybe the suggestion is not so far fetched.

Quote:
for each recording in the list. Doable but probably not worth the additional overhead.
'Nary a bit. It is only required when one highlights a show in the list. The description (and the OAD in this case) are only displayed when an item is highlighted. I'm not suggesting any modification to that behavior.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #4176
lpwcomp

Quote:
'Nary a bit. It is only required when one highlights a show in the list. The description (and the OAD in this case) are only displayed when an item is highlighted. I'm not suggesting any modification to that behavior.
Does reduce it quite a bit but would still require a query that isn't currently being done. Description is part of the data returned by the NPL query.

Hmm. How about having a right mouse click work like the "Info" button on the TiVo remote? Perhaps in a pop-up window? Maybe I'll play around with that. I've already made a few mods in the version I'm running. What's one more?

Old 08-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #4177
lrhorer

Quote:
Does reduce it quite a bit but would still require a query that isn't currently being done.
Yes.

Quote:
Description is part of the data returned by the NPL query.
Yes, I know. It's right there in black and yellow from a simple secure HTTP call to the TiVo web server.

Quote:
Hmm. How about having a right mouse click work like the "Info" button on the TiVo remote? Perhaps in a pop-up window?
Why? Why not include with the usual left mouse click? The left mouse click already implies one wants to know more than the default title information. Do you feel retrieving the metadata will result in an excessively long delay in displaying the description info?

Quote:
Maybe I'll play around with that. I've already made a few mods in the version I'm running. What's one more?
So I've seen. Of course moyekj needs to chime in, I think, on the advisability of your starting a new fork. I'm sure he would welcome any code updates, though. I also have a small concern over some of the mods you have stated you have made. I don't think I want the episode title monkeyed with in the metadata.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #4178
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yes.

Yes, I know. It's right there in black and yellow from a simple secure HTTP call to the TiVo web server.

Why? Why not include with the usual left mouse click? The left mouse click already implies one wants to know more than the default title information. Do you feel retrieving the metadata will result in an excessively long delay in displaying the description info?

So I've seen. Of course moyekj needs to chime in, I think, on the advisability of your starting a new fork. I'm sure he would welcome any code updates, though. I also have a small concern over some of the mods you have stated you have made. I don't think I want the episode title monkeyed with in the metadata.
I have no plans nor desire to set up my own fork nor to deploy any versions of my own or even patches. For me, it would be more a case of proof of concept and for my own use. If moyekj wants my patches, he is welcome to them.

Yes, I think it would be preferable to have a different mechanism to access the additional data. Modifying existing behavior is to be avoided unless it is enough of an improvement to justify it. IMHO, this doesn't qualify.

As to the specific mod you mentioned, I don't "monkey" with the episode title, I simply create one in its absence. However, while it more or less does what I need, it is nowhere near ready for prime time. I would like to make it an option and have it use a template.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #4179
lrhorer

Quote:
I have no plans nor desire to set up my own fork nor to deploy any versions of my own or even patches. For me, it would be more a case of proof of concept and for my own use. If moyekj wants my patches, he is welcome to them.
OK. I can applaud that decision and the reasoning behind it.

Quote:
Yes, I think it would be preferable to have a different mechanism to access the additional data. Modifying existing behavior is to be avoided unless it is enough of an improvement to justify it. IMHO, this doesn't qualify.
There I disagree, both generally and specifically. IMO, existing behavior should always be modified whenever practical unless the modification introduces unwarranted complexity, errors, or otherwise impairs the application at some level, and as long as the modification results in additional features relevant to the application. I agree making a change just to be making a change - like trivial modifications to a UI - is unwarranted. In this case, however, the OAD is a significant, if small, piece of the information set that is retrieved when one left clicks (or does an up or down arrow) on a title in the upper screen, but one which TiVo chose to leave out of the retrieval, requiring an additional one to be employed.

Of course I cannot force you to choose one method over the other, or even to make the attempt at all. I would not want to try to do so even if I could. It's entirely your prerogative.

Quote:
As to the specific mod you mentioned, I don't "monkey" with the episode title, I simply create one in its absence.
Well, that's what I mean. With only a relatively few exceptions (about 1 in 10), most of the programs I transfer should not have an episode title, at all, and so far every single one of the few that should have, does.

Actually, the main issue I am having at the moment is I am downloading a series which has a number of 2 or 3 part episodes where the unique episodes all have precisely the same name. This makes kmttg think they are the same title and causes it not to download one of them. What's worse, since the episodes are often broadcast on the same day, the resultant file names when transferred manually are precisely the same. This makes handling the files a real pain, especially since I take such programs and splice them together to make one long episode. It would be nice to be able to induce kmttg to go ahead and transfer such "duplicates" and give them a unique name, but depending on the mechanics of kmttg's internal selection mechanism, I can see how that could cause some very real issues.

Quote:
However, while it more or less does what I need, it is nowhere near ready for prime time. I would like to make it an option and have it use a template.
OK, well that is fine. As long as its action is not unilateral and can be disabled if the user chooses, I'm good with it.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-05-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #4180
lpwcomp

Quote:
There I disagree, both generally and specifically. IMO, existing behavior should always be modified whenever practical unless the modification introduces unwarranted complexity, errors, or otherwise impairs the application at some level, and as long as the modification results in additional features relevant to the application. I agree making a change just to be making a change - like trivial modifications to a UI - is unwarranted. In this case, however, the OAD is a significant, if small, piece of the information set that is retrieved when one left clicks (or does an up or down arrow) on a title in the upper screen, but one which TiVo chose to leave out of the retrieval, requiring an additional one to be employed.

Of course I cannot force you to choose one method over the other, or even to make the attempt at all. I would not want to try to do so even if I could. It's entirely your prerogative.
On the general issue, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. On the specific issue, there will be a delay in displaying the additional datum (or data if it is more than the OAD). Said delay may be fairly small but it will probably be noticeable. Also, I don't really see the point in adding just the OAD, which isn't always available. If you're going to get the rest of the metadata anyway, might as well display it all. And writing it to the log (as is done now) just doesn't seem right to me with that amount of data.

Quote:
Well, that's what I mean. With only a relatively few exceptins (about 1 in 10), most of the programs I transfer should not have an episode title, at all, and so far every single one of the few that should have, does.
Don't know if this would make a difference or not, but it also doesn't generate an episode title unless "isEpisodic" is "true".

Quote:
Actually, the main issue I am having at the moment is I am downloading a series which has a number of 2 or 3 part episodes where the unique episodes all have precisely the same name. This makes kmttg think they are the same title and causes it not to download one of them. What's worse, since the episodes are often broadcast on the same day, the resultant file names when transferred manually are precisely the same. This makes handling the files a real pain, especially since I take such programs and splice them together to make one long episode. It would be nice to be able to induce kmttg to go ahead and transfer such "duplicates" and give them a unique name, but depending on the mechanics of kmttg's internal selection mechanism, I can see how that could cause some very real issues.
You actually have two separate issues, both possibly soluble w/o code changes.

The first one obviously is the failure to download. Have you tried setting the "Treat each recording as unique" checkbox? BTW, I haven't looked at this part of the code very thoroughly, but I don't think kmttg uses the episode title unless the programId is missing. I suspect that these "episodes" were originally one long episode and thus never got unique ids.

Of course, this will lead to your second problem: file name collision. You could probably remedy this by adding [hour] and [min] to the file name template but of course since this is currently a global setting, it will apply to all of your downloads. One of the things I was considering doing, again for my own purposes, was adding support for multiple filename (and episodetitle ) templates and have the template names to use stored in each auto transfer entry. I already added "push-to-tivo" to the entry so that different shows can be pushed to different TiVos. In all cases, the default would be to use the value in the global configuration settings.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #4181
lpwcomp

Once again, I left out something. All of the mods I have made to date are to support my auto transfer-push of a series to a remote TiVo.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #4182
lrhorer

Quote:
On the general issue, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree.
OK

Quote:
On the specific issue, there will be a delay in displaying the additional datum (or data if it is more than the OAD). Said delay may be fairly small but it will probably be noticeable.
Yes, that would be a genuine concern. I absolutely agree impacting the general performance of the program for a single fairly minor feature is a poor decision.

Quote:
Also, I don't really see the point in adding just the OAD, which isn't always available.
Well, it looks like it is always available for series and never for non-series, which makes sense:

Code:
RAID-Server:/RAID/Recordings# ls -1 *.txt | wc -l
RAID-Server:/RAID/Recordings# grep -i originalAirDate *.txt | wc -l
RAID-Server:/RAID/Recordings/Star Trek The Next Generation# grep -i originalAirDate *.txt | wc -l
RAID-Server:/RAID/Recordings/Star Trek The Next Generation# ls -1 *.txt | wc -l
RAID-Server:/RAID/Recordings/JAG# grep -i originalAirDate *.txt | wc -l
RAID-Server:/RAID/Recordings/JAG# ls -1 *.txt | wc -l
RAID-Server:/RAID/Recordings/Frasier# ls -1 *.txt | wc -l
RAID-Server:/RAID/Recordings/Frasier# grep -i originalAirDate *.txt | wc -l
Quote:
If you're going to get the rest of the metadata anyway, might as well display it all.
Hmm. Perhaps. I think some of it may not really be useful, but perhaps most is.

Quote:
And writing it to the log (as is done now) just doesn't seem right to me with that amount of data.
But that is the point. Since only entries that are specifically selected by the user are logged, it doesn't represent that much data. I guess this is a bit of a gray area, depending in part on how much data one decides to actually display. Certainly just the OAD won't add much at all to the volume of the log file.

I certainly can empathize how going to the trouble of retrieving all that data and then throwing most of it away wounds your developer's soul. It would wound mine, too.

Quote:
Don't know if this would make a difference or not, but it also doesn't generate an episode title unless "isEpisodic" is "true".
OK, well, there also should be no OAD unless "isEpisodic" is "true".

That brings up and extremely interesting point, however. Historically, the "isEpisode" metafield has been very unreliable on programs coming from the TiVos, so much so I wrote the following script to fix the issue

Episodefix:
Code:
#! /bin/bash
Fname=/RAID/Recordings/episode.tmp
Action=0
echo $* | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' | grep -q nepisode && Action=-1
echo $* | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' | grep -q yepisode && Action=1
[[ Action -eq 0 ]] && echo "Usage Note: nepisode = ignore non-episodes  yepisode = ignore episodes"

MaxDepth=""
for Arg in $*
do
	if [[ $MaxDepth == "-maxdepth" ]]
	then
		MaxDepth="$MaxDepth $Arg"
		break
	fi
	[[ $Arg == "-maxdepth" ]] && MaxDepth="-maxdepth"
done

MinDepth=""
for Arg in $*
do
	if [[ $MinDepth == "-mindepth" ]]
	then
		MinDepth="$MinDepth $Arg"
		break
	fi      
	[[ $Arg == "-mindepth" ]] && MinDepth="-mindepth"
done

echo $MaxDepth | grep -q [0-9]
MaxArg=$?
if [[ -z $MaxDepth ]]
then
	echo Usage Note: -maxdepth N limits subdirectory search
elif [[ $MaxArg != 0 ]]
then
	echo Syntax Error.  Parameter -maxdepth requires value argument
	exit
fi

echo $MinDepth | grep -q [0-9]
MinArg=$?
if [[ -z $MinDepth ]]
then
	echo Usage Note: -mindepth N limits subdirectory search
elif [[ $MinArg != 0 ]] 
then
	echo Syntax Error.  Parameter -mindepth requires value argument
	exit    
fi

echo

find ./ $MaxDepth $MinDepth -type f -name "*.mp[4g].txt" > $Fname
echo Stage 1
while read Name
do
	grep -q "isEpisode : true" "$Name"
	Test=$?
	if [[ $Test == 0 ]] && [[ $Action != 1 ]]
	then
		echo
		echo $Name
		echo -n Change to non-episode? N
		tput cub 1
		read Response < /dev/tty
		Response=$( echo $Response | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]' )
		if [[ $Response == "y" ]]
		then
			grep -q episodeTitle "$Name" 
			if [[ $? == 0 ]]
			then
				Pointer=$( grep -n episodeTitle "$Name" | cut -d":" -f1 )
				Length=$(( $( cat "$Name" | wc -l ) - $Pointer ))
				head -n $(( $Pointer - 1 )) "$Name" > "$Name".tmp
				tail -n $Length "$Name" >> "$Name".tmp
				mv "$Name" "$Name".bak
				mv "$Name".tmp "$Name"
			fi
			grep -q isEpisode "$Name"
			if [[ $? == 0 ]]
			then
				Pointer=$( grep -n isEpisode "$Name" | cut -d":" -f1 )
				mv "$Name" "$Name".bak
				mv "$Name".tmp "$Name"
			fi
			Length=$(( $( cat "$Name" | wc -l ) - 3 ))
			head -n 3 "$Name" > "$Name".tmp
			echo -e "isEpisode : false\r" >> "$Name".tmp
			mv "$Name" "$Name".bak
			mv "$Name".tmp "$Name"
		fi
	elif [[ $Test != 0 ]] && [[ $Action != -1 ]]
	then
		echo
		echo $Name
		echo -n Change to episode? N
		tput cub 1
		read Response < /dev/tty
		then
			grep -q isEpisode "$Name"
			if [[ $? == 0 ]]
			then
				Pointer=$( grep -n isEpisode "$Name" | cut -d":" -f1 )
				mv "$Name" "$Name".bak
				mv "$Name".tmp "$Name"
			fi
			echo Episode Name?
			read Response < /dev/tty
			Length=$(( $( cat "$Name" | wc -l ) - 3 ))
			head -n 3 "$Name" > "$Name".tmp
			echo -e "episodeTitle : $Response\r" >> "$Name".tmp
			echo -e "isEpisode : true\r" >> "$Name".tmp
			mv "$Name" "$Name".bak
			mv "$Name".tmp "$Name"
		fi
	fi
done < $Fname

echo Stage 2
while read Name
do
	grep -q "vProgramGenre : Series" "$Name"
	Test=$?
	if [[ $Test == 0 ]] && [[ $Action != 1 ]]
	then
		echo
		echo $Name
		echo -n Change to non-episode? N
		tput cub 1
		read Response < /dev/tty
		then
			Pointer=$( grep -n "vProgramGenre : Series" "$Name" | cut -d":" -f1 )
			mv "$Name" "$Name".bak
			mv "$Name".tmp "$Name"
		fi
	elif [[ $Test != 0 ]] && [[ $Action != -1 ]]
	then
		echo
		echo $Name
		echo -n Change to episode? N
		tput cub 1
		read Response < /dev/tty
		then
			echo "vProgramGenre : Series" >> "$Name"
		fi
	fi
done < $Fname
rm $Fname
Looking at all the recent videos, however, all seem to be correct. In fact, there doesn't seem to have been an error since disconnecting Time Warner Cable and going with Grande. Interesting...

Quote:
The first one obviously is the failure to download. Have you tried setting the "Treat each recording as unique" checkbox?
No I haven't. I'll look into it.

Quote:
BTW, I haven't looked at this part of the code very thoroughly, but I don't think kmttg uses the episode title unless the programId is missing.
Um, if I understand what you mean, then yeah, it does, both in the title field and in the resultant file name, which is of course merely the title plus the other options I specify. Indeed, if these were being re-broadcast on different days, it would not be an issue, since I include the recording day and date in the file name. However, despite having been originally broadcast in separate weeks, or in some cases separate seasons (season finale and season premiere), they have been broadcast back to back in syndication:

Quote:
I suspect that these "episodes" were originally one long episode
No, definitely not. They definitely aired on separate days (this is obvious from not only the episode number but also the intro to the second episode which says, "Previously on JAG:", and then shows clips from the previous episode:

OADs:

Boomerang 2000-02-08 S05 E15
Boomerang 2000-02-15 S05 E16

Legacy 2000-10-03 S06 E01
Legacy 2000-10-10 S06 E02

A Separate Peace 2000-11-21 S06 E07
A Separate Peace 2000-11-28 S06 E08

Quote:
and thus never got unique ids.
You mean "episodeName" in the metadata, or the title as returned by the root query? Both are identical in both cases. The episode numbers in the metafiles are different, though, as are the descriptions.

Quote:
Of course, this will lead to your second problem: file name collision. You could probably remedy this by adding [hour] and [min] to the file name template but of course since this is currently a global setting, it will apply to all of your downloads.
Ugh. That would break a lot of things, here, and it would definitely be easier just to handle the issue manually for these fairly small number of violations.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-05-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #4183
lrhorer

Hey, hang on a second. Take another look at the log output from kmttg:

Note in the log file it lists the Episode numbers. That doesn't look to be to be part of the root query. Is that only in the metadata? If so, it looks to me like kmttg is possibly already requesting the metadata and discarding all but the episode number.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #4184
kpeters59

Quote:
Try recoding to something else. You also might try using something other than Windows.

On the server or the client? You don't mention what sort of client.

Since you don't tell us what codec you are using, it's hard to say.

Try giving us more information. You haven't given us much with which to work.

Thanks for replying. I'll try to clarify.

It's a mostly default settings version of Windows7 Home Premium 64 bit. It's no race-car machine. Dual Core 3.0 w/2gb ram and e5700 GS graphics card. It's an OK capable machine, though. Especially for what I spent to build it. It's not really used as a workstation at all.

Before trying to resolve this I hadn't installed any codecs at all. VLC was installed and Tivo Desktop.

Most shows I pulled off the Tivo play fine. But when I started decrypting The Disney Channel shows, and not all of them, I started receiving complaints that playback wasn't right. Sure enough, they were stuttering and stalling and a/v was out of sync. And this was on the SD 4:3 channel. HD 16:9 was the same.

I'm unsure what codec I'm actually using. I'd like to avoid encoding completely if a codec change would get me where I'd like to be.

I'm not sure how to respond to the server/client question. I'm using XBMC in W7 for playback. Tivo Desktop and kmttg all reside on the same machine. It does have 3 drives in it, which I currently use one to download/decrypt and the other to encode to. The OS is on its own drive.

After rechecking and noticing that I must not have 'saved' the encoded directory/drive in XBMC settings, it seems the HB_xbox360.mp4 encoded files are playing fine. The same show in decrypted_only.mpg plays about 1 second, pauses, plays another second, pauses, on and on. It seems that it's playing in fast-forward to catch up, but it's hard to tell for sure 'cause it's so brief.

I also checked 1 decrypted only .mpg show in HD from Spike TV on both playback drives and it plays fine.

And I double-checked that a decrypted_only.mpg from Disney Channel wouldn't play properly on either drive.

Additionally, what I thought was high cpu usage was not. While the poor playing shows are playing, the mouse stutters and stalls too seeming like high cpu usage. The very odd thing about that is that cpu usage actually went down during playback. On both the .mpg and the .mp4. More so on the .mpg. Is that a graphics card issue?

That same file plays fine in VLC. So it's not a graphics card thing? It must be codec?

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks,

-KP
kpeters59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #4185
lpwcomp

Quote:
Well, it looks like it is always available for series and never for non-series, which makes sense:

OK, well, there also should be no OAD unless "isEpisodic" is "true".
While it's true that OAD should be available for episodes of a series, sometimes it is missing. Happened with "Haven" last year. And while it may indeed be the case that anything with an OAD will also have Episodic "true", it shouldn't be so. Made for TV movies seem to be treated as movies as far as metadata is concerned and thus have a movie year instead of an OAD, but true one-off specials should have an OAD but not be marked episodic.

Quote:
That brings up and extremely interesting point, however. Historically, the "isEpisode" metafield has been very unreliable on programs coming from the TiVos, so much so I wrote the following script to fix the issue

Looking at all the recent videos, however, all seem to be correct. In fact, there doesn't seem to have been an error since disconnecting Time Warner Cable and going with Grande. Interesting...
Interesting that you should mention that. When I was looking at the code today, I noticed an odd difference in the two metadata modules. The one that process the XML from the TiVo (which is one I have modified) has code to set isEpisode to the same value as isEpisodic. The other one, that (I think) processes the XML for a .tivo file, has those lines of code commented out.

Quote:
You mean "episodeName" in the metadata, or the title as returned by the root query? Both are identical in both cases. The episode numbers in the metafiles are different, though, as are the descriptions.
No, I am referring to the programId assigned by Tribune. It is basically the "EP" form of the seriesId with 4 additional digits that identify the specific episode. That's what kmttg normally uses to determine if it has been previously processed. kmttg

The "Treat each recording as unique" should only come into play if this is missing and JAG should definitely have it. I think that what is happening is caused by the file name collision issue. Either the second one transferred is overwriting the first or the first one is preventing the second one from transferring. The problem is that Tribune is not including the "(1)" and "(2)" in the episode title.

Would it also screw everything up if you added [EpisodeNumber] to the file name?

Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #4186
lpwcomp

Quote:
Note in the log file it lists the Episode numbers. That doesn't look to be to be part of the root query. Is that only in the metadata? If so, it looks to me like kmttg is possibly already requesting the metadata and discarding all but the episode number.
Actually, EpisodeNumber is one of the fields in the data returned by an NPL query.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #4187
lrhorer

Quote:
And while it may indeed be the case that anything with an OAD will also have Episodic "true", it shouldn't be so. Made for TV movies seem to be treated as movies as far as metadata is concerned and thus have a movie year instead of an OAD, but true one-off specials should have an OAD but not be marked episodic.
OK, I see that, I suppose. I'm not really sure a "made for TV" movie needs to be treated any differently than a silver screen movie, but OK.

Quote:
Interesting that you should mention that. When I was looking at the code today, I noticed an odd difference in the two metadata modules. The one that process the XML from the TiVo (which is one I have modified) has code to set isEpisode to the same value as isEpisodic.
Oh, well maybe that explains it then. I upgraded to the newest version of kmttg about the same time I moved to Grande. Just a few days later, in fact.

Quote:
No, I am referring to the programId assigned by Tribune. It is basically the "EP" form of the seriesId with 4 additional digits that identify the specific episode. That's what kmttg normally uses to determine if it has been previously processed. kmttg
I presume that gets stripped when the metadata is dumped to the hard drive? All of them are identical. Even Metagenerator, which places the EP instead of an SH in front of the number in the UI, does not display the 4 additional digits. Consequently I cannot check on this, but I rather suspect if I checked the "Treat as unique" box, it would transfer both.

Quote:
The "Treat each recording as unique" should only come into play if this is missing and JAG should definitely have it. I think that what is happening is caused by the file name collision issue. Either the second one transferred is overwriting the first or the first one is preventing the second one from transferring.
The latter, I think. I seem to recall the second show is left on the TiVo, rather than being deleted. I could be mis-remembering, though.

Quote:
The problem is that Tribune is not including the "(1)" and "(2)" in the episode title.
Yeah, evidently.

Quote:
Would it also screw everything up if you added [EpisodeNumber] to the file name?
Hmm. Perhaps not if I added it right after the Title. My script looks for a hyphen in the file name as a clue the show may be a series episode, and if I answer, "Y" when it asks, it inserts an " Sxx Eyy -" after the hyphen when it is given values for xx and yy. Extra text after the episode title may not hurt, I think, because the next clue is the string "(Recorded", which would be after the episode number. Does the program insert a space or nothing in the file name if there is no episode number?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #4188
lpwcomp

Quote:
OK, I see that, I suppose. I'm not really sure a "made for TV" movie needs to be treated any differently than a silver screen movie, but OK.
While I may disagree with that, it is what it is, and I wasn't arguing that they should be. I was referring to actual one-off specials.

Quote:
Oh, well maybe that explains it then. I upgraded to the newest version of kmttg about the same time I moved to Grande. Just a few days later, in fact.
Possibly, but I think that code has been there for a while.

Quote:
I presume that gets stripped when the metadata is dumped to the hard drive? All of them are identical. Even Metagenerator, which places the EP instead of an SH in front of the number in the UI, does not display the 4 additional digits. Consequently I cannot check on this, but I rather suspect if I checked the "Treat as unique" box, it would transfer both.
Different field. It's the SeriesId that gets written to the metadata file. ProgramId isn't currently written. SeriesId identifies the series. ProgramId identifies the specific episode. In the full XML for a recording, SeriesId is the <series> level <uniqueId>. ProgramId is the <program> level <uniqueId>.

Using your example of JAG, it has a SeriesId of SH151366.
Season 6, Episode 1 has a ProgramId of EP001513660113
Season 6, Episode 2 has a ProgramId of EP001513660114

Quote:
Hmm. Perhaps not if I added it right after the Title. My script looks for a hyphen in the file name as a clue the show may be a series episode, and if I answer, "Y" when it asks, it inserts an " Sxx Eyy -" after the hyphen when it is given values for xx and yy. Extra text after the episode title may not hurt, I think, because the next clue is the string "(Recorded", which would be after the episode number. Does the program insert a space or nothing in the file name if there is no episode number?
It won't replace the missing value with anything but any literal strings you have in the filename template will be there. For example, my filename template is:

[mainTitle].[EpisodeNumber].[episodeTitle]

When episode title is missing, I end up with a filename like this:

Jeopardy.6431..mpg

Be forewarned however. Not every series has an EpisodeNumber, at least not the one you get with either an NPL or a metadata query. Seems to me though that if your program can handle the presence of an EpisodeNumber, it could handle [hour][min] just as easily. The only way to be absolutely sure of no collisions would to add monthNum][mday][year][hour][min][channelNum], but that would probably be overkill, and [mday][hour][min] should be sufficient.

I infer from the fact that you check for "(Recorded", that the script was originally written to handle recordings transferred via TD. Is that correct?

Last edited by lpwcomp : 08-06-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #4189
jcthorne

kmttg has really grown from a download and process utility to a nearly full function Tivo management utility.

One function I cannot find is a way to set the 'keep unit' date or status for a recording on the tivo. If its available in kmttg somewhere, can a kind soul point me to it. If its not, is this something that could be added? All my pushed files are set to the standard keep until lengtht of time, I would like to be able to change some or all of them to 'keep until I delete' .

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #4190
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
kmttg has really grown from a download and process utility to a nearly full function Tivo management utility.

One function I cannot find is a way to set the 'keep unit' date or status for a recording on the tivo. If its available in kmttg somewhere, can a kind soul point me to it. If its not, is this something that could be added? All my pushed files are set to the standard keep until lengtht of time, I would like to be able to change some or all of them to 'keep until I delete' .
Since that feature doesn't seem to be part of the iPad app, I doubt there is any way for kmttg to do it except by semi-blindly sending remote control commands.

I have a different question however. According to this, most of the iPad app features are available for a TiVo 3 but none of the remote features work in kmttg for a TiVo 3. Why is this so? Not complaining, since I assume there is a valid reason. Just curious.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #4191
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Thanks for replying. I'll try to clarify.

It's a mostly default settings version of Windows7 Home Premium 64 bit. It's no race-car machine. Dual Core 3.0 w/2gb ram and e5700 GS graphics card. It's an OK capable machine, though. Especially for what I spent to build it. It's not really used as a workstation at all.

Before trying to resolve this I hadn't installed any codecs at all. VLC was installed and Tivo Desktop.

Most shows I pulled off the Tivo play fine. But when I started decrypting The Disney Channel shows, and not all of them, I started receiving complaints that playback wasn't right. Sure enough, they were stuttering and stalling and a/v was out of sync. And this was on the SD 4:3 channel. HD 16:9 was the same.

I'm unsure what codec I'm actually using. I'd like to avoid encoding completely if a codec change would get me where I'd like to be.

I'm not sure how to respond to the server/client question. I'm using XBMC in W7 for playback. Tivo Desktop and kmttg all reside on the same machine. It does have 3 drives in it, which I currently use one to download/decrypt and the other to encode to. The OS is on its own drive.

After rechecking and noticing that I must not have 'saved' the encoded directory/drive in XBMC settings, it seems the HB_xbox360.mp4 encoded files are playing fine. The same show in decrypted_only.mpg plays about 1 second, pauses, plays another second, pauses, on and on. It seems that it's playing in fast-forward to catch up, but it's hard to tell for sure 'cause it's so brief.

I also checked 1 decrypted only .mpg show in HD from Spike TV on both playback drives and it plays fine.

And I double-checked that a decrypted_only.mpg from Disney Channel wouldn't play properly on either drive.

Additionally, what I thought was high cpu usage was not. While the poor playing shows are playing, the mouse stutters and stalls too seeming like high cpu usage. The very odd thing about that is that cpu usage actually went down during playback. On both the .mpg and the .mp4. More so on the .mpg. Is that a graphics card issue?

That same file plays fine in VLC. So it's not a graphics card thing? It must be codec?

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks,

-KP
It sounds more like a timestamp issue that many experience with MPEG2 files downloaded from Tivo. Many people (including me) use a utility included in VideoRedo called QuickStream Fix that repairs these timestamp issues. I believe that moyekj has included ProjectX in his tool repository that has a similar function to fix timestamp issues. I have never used it. ProjectX is free, but VideoRedo is not. VRD does have a fully functional trial version though where you could test whether or not running your videos through QuickStream Fix solves your issue.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #4192
lrhorer

Quote:
Possibly, but I think that code has been there for a while.
I don't doubt it. My previous version iof kmttg was, well, shall we say, not very new. It predated the introduction of the Premier.

Quote:
Different field.
Ah! 'Capiche.

Quote:
It won't replace the missing value with anything but any literal strings you have in the filename template will be there. For example, my filename template is:
OK. I'll see if I can get some time to tinker towards the end of the week.

Quote:
Seems to me though that if your program can handle the presence of an EpisodeNumber, it could handle [hour][min] just as easily.
It depends. [Title][hour][min] should work as long as [hour] and [min] don't return spaces or hyphens. [Title] [hour] [min], probably not unless I do some fixin'. The scripts don't like successive spaces.

Quote:
I infer from the fact that you check for "(Recorded", that the script was originally written to handle recordings transferred via TD. Is that correct?
Oh, gawd no! 'Linux all the way. Originally the transfers were via TyTool, which is stiill by far the fastest thing in town. Kmttg is just too convienient, though, so now I take a factor of three hit in speed in order to enjoy the convenience of kmttg. I still fire up TyTool, however, on those occasions when transferring via the TTG mechanism fails. Transferring via tserver virtually always works.

Actually, however, the "(Recorded" was my own thing, implemented when I changed over from Galleon to pyTivo for GoBack handling. Originally the script inserted the string on its own at the top of processing, but now that kmttg allows me to add an arbitrary sting fragment of my own to the title, I have it do so and the script now just checks to make sure it is there.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #4193
moyekj

Quote:
I have a different question however. According to this, most of the iPad app features are available for a TiVo 3 but none of the remote features work in kmttg for a TiVo 3. Why is this so? Not complaining, since I assume there is a valid reason. Just curious.
Been on vacation and without internet access so just catching up. The series 3 functionality for iPad app I think is pretty limited though I've never tried it myself. I think it uses the "telnet" protocol for the virtual remote control and uses tivo.com for scheduling/managing recordings - so not real time management by any means. For guide listings it also uses tivo.com queries. i.e. None of the good stuff available from RPC protocol which directly communicates with the TiVo is available for series 3. The whole RPC protocol is not available at all for series 3 or earlier models which is what kmttg is using.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #4194
moyekj

Quote:
Hey, hang on a second. Take another look at the log output from kmttg:
Episode numbers for many (but not all) episodic shows are available as part of the standard https XML. No need for extra queries for individual shows. I intentionally have tried to avoid using extra queries for individual shows to minimize stress on the tivo server which can already be temperamental at times requiring a reboot to fix (the infamous "Server Busy" response). kmttg will query individual shows if you enable the "metadata" task to retrieve extra information that goes in metadata file but otherwise I like to avoid doing so to minimize overhead. (By contrast TD takes a lot longer to retrieve listings since it does do extra queries on all individual shows). So if available originalAirDate is available in metadata file if you are generating it so you can always scrape information from that file if you are already using scripts to manipulate downloaded recordings.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #4195
moyekj

Quote:
When kmttg launches, it sorts the NPL list on each TiVo in a way very similar to how the TiVo does with folders disabled, or perhaps it doesn't sort at all, and displays the videos just the way the TiVo sends them. In any case, I like that sort order. Fairly often I need to implement a different sort order by clicking on one or the other of the column headers. Once this is done, however, I have not discovered any way to return to the default sort order, other than shutting down kmttg and re-opening it. Is there a way to do so? If not, moyekj, can there be?
TiVo returns the list sorted by most recent recording date first so sorting by Date column with most recent first (arrow pointing down) should give you the original order.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #4196
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Episode numbers for many (but not all) episodic shows are available as part of the standard https XML.
So lpwcomp had mentioned.

Quote:
So if available originalAirDate is available in metadata file if you are generating it so you can always scrape information from that file if you are already using scripts to manipulate downloaded recordings.
Yes, of course, but that requires downloading the show first. Often, the decision whether to download, keep, or delete the show in question (usually either keep or delete, not download) hinges upon what the OAD was. That requires getting up from the workstation displaying kmttg, going to the room where the TiVo is, turning on the TV, and pulling up the information in the NPL - a major pain. Alternately one can use something like Metagenerator to search for the episode in order to figure out when it first aired, but that is also quite a pain.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-06-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #4197
lrhorer

Quote:
TiVo returns the list sorted by most recent recording date first so sorting by Date column with most recent first (arrow pointing down) should give you the original order.
Um, sorry, but... no. The TiVo first groups by Scheduled Recordings | KUID | Suggestions, and THEN sorts each of the three groups internally by date:

S3 Liza sorted at launch:

S3 Liza sorted by Date:

THD Livingroom sorted at launch:

THD Livingroom sorted by Date:

I would like to be able to return to the default sort order (Scheduled Recordings on the top, Suggestions on the bottom) without having to exit kmttg, as that is the sort order I prefer for most operations. As an addendum, I might also sometimes like to have Suggestions on the top.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #4198
kpeters59

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
It sounds more like a timestamp issue that many experience with MPEG2 files downloaded from Tivo. Many people (including me) use a utility included in VideoRedo called QuickStream Fix that repairs these timestamp issues. I believe that moyekj has included ProjectX in his tool repository that has a similar function to fix timestamp issues. I have never used it. ProjectX is free, but VideoRedo is not. VRD does have a fully functional trial version though where you could test whether or not running your videos through QuickStream Fix solves your issue.
I tried ProjectX on a couple samples shows, and that does appear to have solved the problem.

Thanks!

-KP
kpeters59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #4199
moyekj

Quote:
Um, sorry, but... no. The TiVo first groups by Scheduled Recordings | KUID | Suggestions, and THEN sorts each of the three groups internally by date:

I would like to be able to return to the default sort order (Scheduled Recordings on the top, Suggestions on the bottom) without having to exit kmttg, as that is the sort order I prefer for most operations. As an addendum, I might also sometimes like to have Suggestions on the top.
Oh OK, Suggestions is one of 1st things I disable on a TiVo as I have no use for them. I also don't use KUID either. So for me sorting by Date matches what TiVo returns initially. Guess I'll have to see if there is a way to easily restore original sort order in Java table somehow - at worse perhaps another button will be needed to accomplish that. The table is populated in order received from XML so it's just a question of resetting table to not sort by any of the columns.

I don't recall but if you turn on Folders do the suggestions all get grouped in their own folder? Too lazy to go look at the code right now as it's been a long time I fiddled with grouping code.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #4200
moyekj

Quote:
I just discovered this. If you hold down Shift button while clicking on a table column it will undo the sort. So whichever column you are currently sorting by just Shift click on column header to undo the sort and revert back to original order.