Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #151
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
I have never once in my life seen a house tented for fumigation. How common could that really be? And ABQ is small. Won't somebody recognize a chemistry teacher walking in to a fumigation job?
Heisenberg (bald, craggy, angry, sourpuss) bears little resemblance to Mr. White the high school Chemistry teacher (brown-haired, younger). Plus, he enters the house quietly when crowds are not around to watch him. No music, no fanfare, no parade. Just coveralls and maybe a hardhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
Termites
Cockroaches
Beatles BEETLES
etc...
FYP.

Also, bedbugs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #152
vertigo235

I guess Walt is no longer worried about the quality of his product. Since he was worried about a single fly but now it doesn't seem to be a problem to have a house full of bugs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #153
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
20 Neat Facts, Cool Allusions, Instances Of Foreshadowing, And Theories On ‘Breaking Bad’
http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2012/08/bre...bad-allusions/

Some spoiler speculation. If it's true I'll be sick to my stomach.
What a waste of time... 19 of those are really loose, hail-mary, guesses at what things mean. Ever since those damn oranges appeared in the Godfather, EVERY SINGLE TIME THERE'S A FREAKING ORANGE in a movie, people have to say "oh, that's an homage to the Godfather". BULL$#!T! Sometimes an orange is just an orange!!!

Quote:
the opening episode of the fifth season, “Live Free or Die,” was also the title of a Sopranos episode. (Some have also likened Skyler to Carmelo Soprano).
Give me a freaking break. How many things have been called or mentioned "Live Free or Die"??? It's the NH state motto, forcrissakes! And that's where Walt has his driver's license from in S05E01. Coincidence?

It really bugs me when people take something like BrBa and actively look for relationships and clues like this when they really aren't there! It's all fabricated! It's like all the crappy discussion at series finale of The Sopranos when people listed the 20 reasons why Tony is dead, including the door chime not ringing, more oranges, blah, blah blah. Some me REAL connections. Show me REAL clues the writers put in there. Not made up ones.

</rant>
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #154
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
The actor that plays Skinny Pete used to be a music major. He apparently sings as well.
They did a great job capitalizing on the actor's skill in that scene. Well done.

tk

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #155
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
What a waste of time... 19 of those are really loose, hail-mary, guesses at what things mean. Ever since those damn oranges appeared in the Godfather, EVERY SINGLE TIME THERE'S A FREAKING ORANGE in a movie, people have to say "oh, that's an homage to the Godfather". BULL$#!T! Sometimes an orange is just an orange!!!
</rant>
Yeah. There is the issue that we now know that Ted didn't die in that oranges scene.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #156
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer

Yeah. There is the issue that we now know that Ted didn't die in that oranges scene.
Perhaps they were tangerines. As everybody knows, tangerines symbolize "only mostly dead."

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #157
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
He's really familiar. Has anyone IMDBd him?
Didn't look him up, but I know for sure he was in the short lived show BENT last year.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #158
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin

Thanks! I knew him from Bent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smak

Didn't look him up, but I know for sure he was in the short lived show BENT last year.

-smak-
Does everyone have me on ignore today?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #159
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
Termites
Cockroaches
Beatles
etc...
I thought half the Beatles were already dead?
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #160
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
just today?
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #161
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

One person is reading!

(This was the second time yesterday I was "inadvertently" ignored.)
Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #162
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
NEVER.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #163
moondoggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
It's extremely rare to have a basement in the Southwest. They're unheard of in CA, for instance.
DPR, Quite a few homes in Cal Heights, Bixby Knolls and VCC have basements.
moondoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #164
BradJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggie View Post
DPR, Quite a few homes in Cal Heights, Bixby Knolls and VCC have basements.
My aunt had what she called a basement in Beverly Hills. there were stairs going downstairs to a very tine small room. Maybe large walk-in closet size, but not much bigger than that. Ceilings were probably 6 1/2 feet or so.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #165
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:

Give me a freaking break. How many things have been called or mentioned "Live Free or Die"??? It's the NH state motto, forcrissakes! And that's where Walt has his driver's license from in S05E01. Coincidence?

It really bugs me when people take something like BrBa and actively look for relationships and clues like this when they really aren't there! It's all fabricated! It's like all the crappy discussion at series finale of The Sopranos when people listed the 20 reasons why Tony is dead, including the door chime not ringing, more oranges, blah, blah blah. Some me REAL connections. Show me REAL clues the writers put in there. Not made up ones.

</rant>
why do you assume they aren't real? I k now on Mad Men, for instance, wardrobe color IS specifically picked for various reasons.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #166
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
why do you assume they aren't real? I k now on Mad Men, for instance, wardrobe color IS specifically picked for various reasons.
Because you can read that it's all pure speculation/fabrication/quesswork (except where noted that V.G. had directly indicated otherwise). Just because some freak somehow connects two things together, doesn't mean that there is ANY actual correlation. I'm happy to read all that stuff, but it actually has to be validated, not some nutball's guesses.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #167
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Well, Jessie's last name is PINKman...
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #168
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry
Well, Jessie's last name is PINKman...
And Walter's last name is WHITE!

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #169
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Because you can read that it's all pure speculation/fabrication/quesswork (except where noted that V.G. had directly indicated otherwise). Just because some freak somehow connects two things together, doesn't mean that there is ANY actual correlation. I'm happy to read all that stuff, but it actually has to be validated, not some nutball's guesses.
then you'll LOVE this

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2012/07/tel...nk-teddy-bear/
Old 08-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #170
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
OMG, my head is about to explode. You can pick ANYTHING from ANY EPISODE, and I can find at least 5 other instances that match or have some sort of "foreshadowing". Give me a freaking break.

Did you notice that the pizza that Walt threw on the roof was round, and Heisenberg's Pork Pie hat is also round! Vince Gilligan is a F*@#!#& genius!

But wait!!! It's also a PEPPERONI PIZZA! And what is pepperoni made from -- PORK! PORK PIE HAT! OMG, Vince Gilligan is a F*@#!#& genius!

Last edited by Hank : 08-04-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #171
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
The picture of Mike made me snort.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
Old 08-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #172
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
20 Neat Facts, Cool Allusions, Instances Of Foreshadowing, And Theories On ‘Breaking Bad’
http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2012/08/bre...bad-allusions/

Some spoiler speculation. If it's true I'll be sick to my stomach.
Quote:

</rant>
18. Foreshadowing: Here’s a picture of the young Hector Salamanca, sitting on a chair of wheels, years before the old Hector Salamanca would be relegated to a wheelchair.

Is that really foreshadowing? Didn't we first meet this character when he was already old and in a wheelchair?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #173
Test

Quote:
That's actually pretty cool
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #174
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
OMG, my head is about to explode. You can pick ANYTHING from ANY EPISODE, and I can find at least 5 other instances that match or have some sort of "foreshadowing". Give me a freaking break.

Did you notice that the pizza that Walt threw on the roof was round, and Heisenberg's Pork Pie hat is also round! Vince Gilligan is a F*@#!#& genius!

But wait!!! It's also a PEPPERONI PIZZA! And what is pepperoni made from -- PORK! PORK PIE HAT! OMG, Vince Gilligan is a F*@#!#& genius!
I'm sure it's not ALL planned, but if you believe that there was just randomly a painting on the wall with the same pink bear in it.....obviously there was an attempt of some type to include it.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #175
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
18. Foreshadowing: Here’s a picture of the young Hector Salamanca, sitting on a chair of wheels, years before the old Hector Salamanca would be relegated to a wheelchair.

Is that really foreshadowing? Didn't we first meet this character when he was already old and in a wheelchair?
it's not foreshadowing in the traditional sense, but it was a call-back for the character to where we saw him first. Whether by the director or writers or set dressers, a lot of these "easter eggs" are intentional.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #176
Test

Quote:
it's not foreshadowing in the traditional sense, but it was a call-back for the character to where we saw him first. Whether by the director or writers or set dressers, a lot of these "easter eggs" are intentional.
No doubt this was intentional, but I wasn't sure if we first met this character in a flashback and that was foreshadowing of him ending up in a wheelchair. I guess just poor wording on the part of the articles author. Your phrase "easter egg" is more fitting.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #177
Hank
AC•FTW

This is pretty freaky/cool COINCIDENCE!! This really happened to me yesterday.

I was on the couch with my g/f channel surfing yesterday afternoon, and came across Scarface playing on cable. I said to the g/f that I really want to watch the entire movie because it was at least in part, part of Vince Gilligan's inspiration for Breaking Bad. (I have never seen Scarface, but it was already about an hour into it.)

So we're watching Scarface, and when it got to a commercial, I went up one channel to watch Bill Maher's Religulious (which I have seen before), and within 2 minutes, as part of Religulious, there were two or three clips from Scarface (for comedic affect). Really freaked me out for a second.. we're flipping between these two movies, and one movie was featured in the other!

But that's not the strangest part! We flip back to Scarface and the part where Tony Montana is meeting with Sosa, and Sosa is called away for a telephone call by Alberto i.e. "the Shadow". And who was that -- none other than Héctor Salamanca (Mark Margolis) -- a young Hector Salamanca, anyway. My g/f recognized him first, and I thought it was just someone who looked like Hector, but nope, we looked it up and it's the same actor.

OMG, Vince Gilligan is a F*@#!#& genius!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #178
danterner
Not it!

Okay, I'll bite.

Quite often, symbolism in stories is, in fact, quite intentional and deliberate. Storytelling is an art. As with all art forms, there are certain conventions practitioners follow. Some practitioners are more in tune with the conventions than others. Sometimes, an element in a story will indeed be there purely coincidentally, entirely by happenstance. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater and assume that everything in a story is there randomly. It is not. Colors ARE used to signify specific things by many many authors. As are events. Think about all of the many instances where you've seen a story that, at its start, has the protagonist fall from a height. That's not done randomly -- it is a storytelling convention, symbolic of the protagonist passing a point of no return. Often, they fall into water. That's intentionally symbolic, as well -- symbolic of rebirth. Writers do this KNOWINGLY. It is not coincidence; it is writers applying the rules and conventions of their craft. Think of the thousands of stories that track the "Hero's Quest" storypoints delineated by Joseph Campbell. Stories don't just happen to fall into that form, any more than a haiku randomly happens to have a certain set number of syllables per line.* Writers do it intentionally, for the most part. I would be astounded if it turned out that the design of Hector's flashback wagonwheel chair was just coincidental. While you can read into everything and not all of it is intentional, that doesn't mean that none of it is.

While I don't believe that all of the "hints" listed at the uproxx site were intentional, I do believe some were.

And although some may scoff, I do personally think Vince Gilligan is a F*@#!#& genius.

Take a listen to the "Breaking Bad Insider" podcast sometime, which gives a good view into the level of thought that goes into making an episode. I'll give one recent example: the scene a few episodes ago, where Mike goes to Chow's house: Chow is shown sitting dead on the sofa at the end of the scene. Briefly, seen entering and leaving the frame, is a fly. It was added digitally in post. It wasn't randomly there on set; it was intentionally added by an author applying his craft. And, I would argue, not just "because dead bodies attract flies," but rather for symbolic reasons.

*(Actually, Joseph Campbell himself might beg to differ on that point given his views on Jungian archetypes and the collective unconscious, but my point is that many authors, post Campbell, have used the model as explained by him as a framework and outline for their own works).

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:

Last edited by danterner : 08-05-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #179
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
While I don't believe that all of the "hints" listed at the uproxx site were intentional, I do believe some were.
I totally agree. I just want to find all the real ones (however subtle they are) and ignore all the fan-fic fabricated ones. But you have to admit, crazed fans are more likely to find relationships that were not intentional than the ones that were. This is what pisses me off.

I also think V.G. is a genius, but not for all the reasons listed in these blog posts.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #180
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
I totally agree. I just want to find all the real ones (however subtle they are) and ignore all the fan-fic fabricated ones. But you have to admit, crazed fans are more likely to find relationships that were not intentional than the ones that were. This is what pisses me off.

I also think V.G. is a genius, but not for all the reasons listed in these blog posts.
I guarantee had someone told you the fly was fake and added later, you'd have one of your little meltdowns and start screaming about how they were nuts.

Don't care, then don't read it.