TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
samsgood

How has bad weather affected your service?

I know DIRECTV and DISH are horrible when it comes to bad weather. Heck, it doesn't even take rain, it could just be a very cloudy day and the signal will go out. But has anyone experienced bad recordings due to weather acting up on any cable providers?
samsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

No, never. Been using DVRs on cable since 2003, never seen this. It's generally considered to be one of the problems with satellite depending on where you live and how many thunderstorms you get.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
sharkster

I have cable, so weather hasn't ever presented any problems, in re general TV viewing or Tivo use.

I'm in an area that has a lot of wind at times, and inclement weather in winter so my research into satellite, several years ago, mostly found that people had a lot of outages during windy times and winter weather. Stuck with cable. Don't want to have outages with TV.

We have Charter where I am. While I'm not totally in love with Charter, they have been good in terms of service. Also, in the event of a cable outage (it's been so long I cannot even remember when the last one was) they always got right on it and outages were always extremely short - like minutes. The last one had to be a few years ago.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Kevin D42

If you are experiencing satellite outages in light rain or clouds, your dish is not pointed properly. It should take a heavy downpour to have any effect on satellite TV service.

Cable goes out in bad weather also (trees take out cable line).
Kevin D42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin D42 View Post
If you are experiencing satellite outages in light rain or clouds, your dish is not pointed properly. It should take a heavy downpour to have any effect on satellite TV service.

Only one worth mentioning is when we had a lightning strike on the cable head out behind our house.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
rahnbo

In Central Florida where we get intense lightning storms almost daily the cable service is usually not affected much. Exceptions of course would be power outages or some other act of nature that would take down service and pretty much anything else anyway. The only thing I've noticed is that during very close strikes the picture might pixelate for a second. With the use of a UPS on each Tivo and T/A it takes a prolonged power outage to really miss any recordings due to weather. On the other hand I've stayed at people's homes who've had Dish and it was virtually unusable during minor storms.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
Quake97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin D42 View Post

Agreed. As long as your setup is good, rain and snow won't affect anything.

Joe
Quake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
unitron

When cable is done properly, weather shouldn't affect the quality.

Unless it's something extreme that causes actual physical damage or takes out their power.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake97 View Post
Agreed. As long as your setup is good, rain and snow won't affect anything.

Joe
And yet you always hear from folks claiming to get 95+ signal on sat and it always goes out in heavy rain.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
compnurd

Yeh with Sat. there is still issues. The new format they use for the HD Channels is more susceptible to rain fade... I used to have issues every now then and but usually for no more than 5 min
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
ghuido

I have CAble in the North East and leverage UPS on the TIVO in case power goes out. Usually rock solid. In case of heavy heavy heave Rains / T-Storms I might get more pixelation on recording. Other than that rock solid.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
rahnbo

Well I guess I spoke too soon darn it. I really should learn to keep my mouth shut because as soon as I say how great something is then suddenly its not. Just had a huge lightning strike about an hour ago that took out the Brighthouse cable/Road Runner internet and nothing else (phone and power are OK). Sounded like a huge explosion and you could smell stuff burning. That's the first time I think that has happened in a long, long time. Glad I have internet tethering!
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote