TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
nickxj

TiVo Premier + Samsung UN46D8000 + Comcast = 3D Frustration

I recently moved to a home that won't support DirecTV, so I've gotten the next best thing Comcast + TiVo. For the most part it's fine, but with this new setup my Samsung UN46D8000 no longer automatically switches into 3D mode as it did when I had the DirecTV HD DVR. I can manually switch it into the correct mode, but thats not ideal. Since this is the same TV, same HDMI cable is this because TiVo does not adequately support this feature, or is it due to the Comcast input?

I contacted TiVo support but they just blame my TV -

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to help you with your 3D issues today.

The TiVo Premiere does support MPEG-4 3D programming. This seems to be more of an output format issue on the TV end. Side by side 3D is a type of 3D (there are a plethora of different formats, just check any 3D YouTube video on your computer and it will give you about 5 options on how you would like to view the 3D).

I suggest putting on a 3D channel, your 3D glasses, and using your TV remote to toggle settings in the TV. Maybe select "side by side" viewing and see what happens. If that fails, I would actually suggest contacting your TV manufacturer support and have them walk you through the steps. If that fails, feel free to contact us back and we can continue helping you resolve your issue
nickxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
compnurd

That is a Tivo Issue I believe. Someone else just brought that up... you need to enable it manually
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
rvsj

The TiVo is not 3D aware. It doesn't even catagorize 3D recordings as HD.
The progress bar is a mess when overlaid on a 3D signal.

I have that TV set.
The Samsung Blu-Ray player can put it into 3D mode automatically.
The TiVo can not.
You have to enable 3D and tell it what format the 3D is being broadcast in.
rvsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Millionaire2K

What /\ said. The TV will switch to 3D mode for BR player. But with Tivo you need to tell the TV the ch is a 3D ch.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
GerryFR

Tivo 3D capabilities

I have the series 3000 Tivo and a 55 inch version of the new Samsung 3D TV. I have been able to get this TV to put out a 3D image on every 3D signal that I put into it. Of course, I have to enable the 3D feature on the TV and select the type of image being used (side by side or above and below). My cable provider (Cox) puts out an above and below image on their own 3D channel (On Demand from a Cox Tuner) and a side by side signal on the dedicated (temporary) NBC 3D Olympic channel. I even was able to record these video signals on my computer and played them back with 3D results on the Samsung TV. I also have a Viewsonic 3D monitor (V3D245) with a HDMI input and I have had spastic results in getting it to work in 3D. This monitor does not work on the same 3D output from my Tivo unit that works on my Samsung TV. My monitor turns on the 3D feature automatically and I can not turn it on manually like I can on my Samsung 3D TV. My computer has 3D output capable but will not work with any monitor that does not properly identify itself to the computer on boot up. I had to send back two new Viewsonic monitors before I got one that worked properly.

If you have a relatively new Samsung TV, be sure that your TV's firmware is up to date. I have my TV hooked up to the internet and it updated itself once I got the network setting correct on the TV and my router.
GerryFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Tony Chick

As another ex-DirecTV user, I had a thread on this issue in the Coffee House forum, the info I got is that the Tivo doesn't support the HDMI 3D flag so the TV has no way to tell it from any other signal. On my LG, I need to manually switch it to side-by-side mode. Since its an HDMI thing rather than software, I suspect we won't get it until new hardware comes out.
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
Millionaire2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryFR View Post
I have the series 3000 Tivo and a 55 inch version of the new Samsung 3D TV. I have been able to get this TV to put out a 3D image on every 3D signal that I put into it. Of course, I have to enable the 3D feature on the TV and select the type of image being used (side by side or above and below). My cable provider (Cox) puts out an above and below image on their own 3D channel (On Demand from a Cox Tuner) and a side by side signal on the dedicated (temporary) NBC 3D Olympic channel. I even was able to record these video signals on my computer and played them back with 3D results on the Samsung TV. I also have a Viewsonic 3D monitor (V3D245) with a HDMI input and I have had spastic results in getting it to work in 3D. This monitor does not work on the same 3D output from my Tivo unit that works on my Samsung TV. My monitor turns on the 3D feature automatically and I can not turn it on manually like I can on my Samsung 3D TV. My computer has 3D output capable but will not work with any monitor that does not properly identify itself to the computer on boot up. I had to send back two new Viewsonic monitors before I got one that worked properly.

If you have a relatively new Samsung TV, be sure that your TV's firmware is up to date. I have my TV hooked up to the internet and it updated itself once I got the network setting correct on the TV and my router.
very long post for saying exactly what was said 1 post b4. You need to enable the 3D mode when watching 3D on a Tivo.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote